Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my forth one. I had a ZR7, a KLR650, a ZRX1200, and now this one. Everyone had this peculiar oddity. When you grab some front brake, it makes a sound, almost like Cicadas. Never could quite figure that out. Anyone know why this is??

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Mine doesn't, at least not one I can hear with a FF helmet.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Can't say I ever noticed it on my KLX 300, and on the Vulcan, I only noticed slight squeeling on low speed braking when the brakes are cold.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Yamahas sound like a tin can full of mice.

Suzukis sound like a fat midget wearing cordaroy pants walking.

Hondas sound like sliding loose change across a marble tile.

I think every bike has its own pecular sounds, but I will say right off after owning several Kawasakis that I never heard a damn thing, so I am guessing somehow you are either nuts, have super human hearing, or just have really really weird luck.

Perhaps it is your bionic hand that chirps?

YGBFKM

KM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not imagining this, I swear. You have to listen hard. I thought I might catch a ribbing with this post.:) It is not really a squeal. Just a slight barely noticeable sound. It's not annoying, it is just something I have noticed with Kawasaki's.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Try a bit more gentle breakin next time, or try riding more often before the rust sets in, and don't pee on the rotors, too much acid and will etch rotors causing a mild squeek...lol...
If thats not it, I have no idea, all 3 of mine have been as quiet as a church mouse...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I believe it's the cooling holes drilled in the rotor causing the noise, my bike has the sound.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Mine squeaks sometimes, especially after it's rained and there is a little rust on the rotors. I also noticed the left rotor has few good grooves in it. The right one is ok, but I'm pretty sure it will be time to replace them by the time I do the front brakes which is gonna be a while.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Trying to formulate in my head the sound of fat midgets walking in cordaroy pants:confused:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Trying to formulate in my head the sound of fat midgets walking in cordaroy pants:confused:
...and is that different from a fat normal lengthed person walking in them?

I know how to get rid of the sound: get V&H pipes and take the baffles out. That'll do it, guaranteed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
...and is that different from a fat normal lengthed person walking in them?
Normal lengthed person = longer legs
Longer legs = longer cords on the pants
Longer cords on the pants = different pitch when rubbed together

It just wouldn't be the same...

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Yamahas sound like a tin can full of mice.
Suzukis sound like a fat midget wearing cordaroy pants walking.
Hondas sound like sliding loose change across a marble tile.

I think every bike has its own pecular sounds, but I will say right off after owning several Kawasakis that I never heard a damn thing, so I am guessing somehow you are either nuts, have super human hearing, or just have really really weird luck.

Perhaps it is your bionic hand that chirps?

YGBFKM

KM
KM, you are one crazy dude. But I love your humor!

For the record, I hear that sound when I use my hand brake too, but I've been told that's normal.

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Well, not doubting your sanity here. Would have been nice if you were a bit more specific. Like:

Do you hear this when the bike is standing still or only when the bike is moving?

Can you hear it over the sound of the motor or only in a quiet garage with the engine off?

Does is seem to be coming from the Master Cylnder or the Caliphers?

There are several things that move when you grab the from brake lever, and anything that moves can have the ability to make a sound. (Actualy anything that moves does make a sound...it is just a matter of being able to hear it)

My bike in a dead quiet garage does make some kind of sound when I pull in the brake lever.... and it might be the sound you are hearing too:

The brake light switch.

Mine kind of clicks faintly, it this what you are hearing?

KM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KM, you are one crazy dude. But I love your humor!

For the record, I hear that sound when I use my hand brake too, but I've been told that's normal.

Charlie
Oh thank God. So you hear it too. I swear I have heard this with every Kawi I've owned. Like I said, it is not ennoying, and I know it is normal. I was just wondering what causes it. Maybe you and me have ears that are more sensitive to that pitch. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, not doubting your sanity here. Would have been nice if you were a bit more specific. Like:

Do you hear this when the bike is standing still or only when the bike is moving?

Can you hear it over the sound of the motor or only in a quiet garage with the engine off?

Does is seem to be coming from the Master Cylnder or the Caliphers?

There are several things that move when you grab the from brake lever, and anything that moves can have the ability to make a sound. (Actualy anything that moves does make a sound...it is just a matter of being able to hear it)

My bike in a dead quiet garage does make some kind of sound when I pull in the brake lever.... and it might be the sound you are hearing too:

The brake light switch.

Mine kind of clicks faintly, it this what you are hearing?

KM
Of course it is when I am moving, and I grab a handful of front brake. The sound is very faint. I guess I made it sound like I thought there was a problem with the original post. I know it's normal. It must be a Kawasaki thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's one way of describing it. It's kind of like a very light but steady "rattlesnake rattle" when I squeeze the hand brake while in motion.

Yeah, that's it. I was having a hard time trying to relate the sound to something, but that is a good description. I wonder what causes this, and why I have only heard it with Kawasaki. There has to be a reason for it.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Well if it does not make the sound when the bike is sitting still, then it likely is not the master cylnder but the caliphers.

I have never heard what you seem to be talking about on my Vulcan, other than the sound of the brake switch when stopped in a quiet place. Thus I could not really say what you hear is normal...unless I happened to have an abnormal bike like Old Dogs.

A "rattle" would suggest something loose....

KM

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well if it does not make the sound when the bike is sitting still, then it likely is not the master cylnder but the caliphers.
Ahh, that's why I can't hear it... I took the caliphers off when I added the crossdrilled brake lines!!
But next time I get on the bike, I'll see if I notice the calipers making any noise.
LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts