Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as riding season is soon to be here again, i was curious as to what everyone carries with them? Short medium and long trips are all welcome, as i know my pack changes...

I'll start.
1)I always carry my Inova T3 flashlight. It runs on 2xcr123's (soon to be rechargeable) and provides 3 hours of bright light, and runs darker after that for 5 more.
2) the basic kawa tool kit, although i feel as if i could break most peices with my bare hands.
3) one of those blue shop paper towels
4) 1-3 depending on trip of zeiss or bosh&lomb lense cleaning wipes... work well on cleaning any plastic or glass
5) a $20 bill incase i have an emergency and need gas or a drink for sumer heat
6)cell phone, and on long trips, i carry my spare battery charged.

things i'd like to add
1) a better tool kit prolly look at one of those all in 1 sockets a few driver bits and a ratchet...
2) a small med kit, any ideas here?
3) even though i love my Inova, i plan to go to a smaller keychain light. Fenix makes a few nice ones.... its about $50, but its 3" bout 1" diameter, and brighter then a 3d mag.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I usually have a spair shirt in my bag, Long sleve just in case it gets cold
A bottle of water
Spair headlight bulb and fuses
Bunji cord or ratchet strap
Rain gear (Frogg Toggs)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hizzo for the med kit see if you have a colemans near you. I have seen small basic kits for camping.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
For me it's as follows.....

Always with me ....
  • Money
  • Extra key in wallet
  • Pocket knife
  • Windproof lighter/flashlight combo
  • Smokes
  • Watch/digital compass combo
  • Cellphone/camera combo
Always with the bike....

in saddlebags
  • Rain gear
  • several bungee's & some cord
  • Maps for surrounding states
  • Small first-aid kit
  • Spare dew-rag
  • Extra pair of gloves
  • Small roll of T.P. & paper towels, in ziplock bag
  • Something to drink
in rackbag
  • Leatherman tool
  • Lighter (windproof)
  • Pen/paper
  • 2 Kickstand plates (I tend to forget them after I use them)
  • Mini-Mag
  • Disk lock
  • Small AM/FM radio
in forkbag
  • Shop rag or two
  • Small jumper cables
  • 6in1 screwdriver
  • Several sockets & ratchet (3/8)
  • Small Needlenose Visegrips
  • Tire plugs & CO² filler (for emergency repairs only)
  • Elec. & duct tape
  • Quickset epoxy
on handlebars
  • Spare (light tint) sunglasses
  • Chatterbox communicator
Added for Longer trips....

usually in saddlebags
  • Chaps
  • Extra $$'s
  • Extra long sleeved shirt
  • Small 12V compressor
  • 1 road flare (in plastic tube)
  • 1/2 helmet
  • Cell phone & communicator chargers
  • Portable CB radio
Might be some more, but that's all I can think of now.
As far as a first-aid kit, I don't like any of those tiny 'Camping' type kits. Not much of what I'd like to have in them.
I put my own kit together with items from a larger 'Industrial' kit I have.
I might also be carrying a travel type fishing rod this year, if I get my fishing licence.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
This guy knows how to tour, I was about to add my list, can't think of anything else to add to his list :smiley_th

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as a first-aid kit, I don't like any of those tiny 'Camping' type kits. Not much of what I'd like to have in them.
I put my own kit together with items from a larger 'Industrial' kit I have.
I might also be carrying a travel type fishing rod this year, if I get my fishing licence.
Yeah all the kits i saw didnt work for me... i was looking at making my own... not to sound pessimestic, but i will never have a need for 20 regular bandages, i would rather stop for those, but i would need things like gauze, burn cream, tri ointnment cream, quick splints, tape and stuff like that. I mean really, if i catch a rock in my arm and bleed a lil, i can rig something from all that. i dont wanna ditch something from that to get some bandies :p

here is an idea you may want to look into. for my engineering classes, i need to sometimes carry plots. I plan to make a tube outta pvc, sealed caps on both ends, with a shoulder strap so i can wear it across my back like a samuri. Now on a long trip you may not like the shoulder strap, but maybe you can make a quickmount for your bike. just get something like a 3" diameter tube for those 2 peice rods....

·
Registered
55 Posts
damn! I thought I was well prepared with 2 bottles of water, AM/FM radio, 2 packs of matches, a lighter, 20+ cigars, an old gps and rain pants.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Opps, that's one thing I forgot, something to drink.

I broke down what I carry as to where I carry it on the bike.
Usually, when I take a ride during the weekend (normally on Sundays)
it's atleast 250 miles, so yeah, I like to be prepared.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
An extra pair of boots on long trips, in case of rain. I also carry the stock clutch and brake levers that I replaced with aftermarket. If the bike is ever tipped over on a trip, at least I will be able to shift. I also carry a small bag of bolts, washers, and nuts.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An extra pair of boots on long trips, in case of rain. I also carry the stock clutch and brake levers that I replaced with aftermarket. If the bike is ever tipped over on a trip, at least I will be able to shift. I also carry a small bag of bolts, washers, and nuts.
for my boots i got a pair of non lace up leather work boots, and sealed them with silicone boot stuff. works great, not exactly 100% waterproof, but its highly water resistant. havent had a leak yet. my rain gear covers the barrels, so there is no leaking into the tops of them...downside? hot in the summer..... i am trying to find some nice rubber ones that will roll up or fold for the saddle bags though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts