Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, my limited knowledge on motorcycles and cars has reached it's limit, therefor another forum post I go...

So I believe my '86 750 has the POOG issue. It sputters then dies around half a tank full. I tried cleaning out what I thought was the vent, the black module on the underside of the tank that has a wire going to it (gas gauge is now what I think). So in my infinite wisdom and without researching, I decided that this nipple on the black thing was the vent for the tank and sprayed carb cleaner in there. In my defense, it has no vent under the gas cap and no vent pipe near the rear mount. From what I read this is common with the early vn750's.

In this process of diagnosing my stalling issue, I found the vacuum line on the left carb going to the petcock was melted (probably part of my issue!) so I decided to replace that and all the fuel lines while I'm at it. That I did without a hitch and everything's hooked up correctly with that.

WELL long story short my bike doesn't start now. I've got her on the center stand. I pull the clutch in, key and switch to on, and try to start. Something clicks (or shorts?) once and then everything dies. The headlight goes out, no oil light, etc. Wait about 30 seconds, turn the key on again, and the lights come back on! Well, except if you try to start it again then the process repeats. WTF??

I disconnected the wire going to the underside of the gas tank just to rule out that wasn't shorting out anything. I tried starting it again, and it cranked for 2 seconds and died.

(Side note: I left my keys on in the ignition for about 4 hours earlier this week and it killed the battery. I jumped it with a portable jump starter and rode it for about 20 minutes. Upon trying to start it again, it took a bit too long to start and the battery died again. Jumped it again with the portable jump starter. So I left the battery tender on it for about 3-4 days before deciding to work on it today. Not sure if this has any impact on what I'm now experiencing but I thought I'd include it)

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like the battery. Maybe a loose connection or it just can't handle a load anymore. Maybe take it in for load testing.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Take the tank off (Easy) and go over all the major wiring for shorts, visible issues. Check all the grounds at the engine, battery box, etc.

Battery could still be bad after you drained it. Could have killed a cell.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Reads like a loose battery cable, but I would also check the battery voltage. Long cranking can melt tie straps between cells, which can also mimic a loose connection.

Won't hurt to flip the key on/off to see if it's the switch needing cleaned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts