Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All-

I got my lady a helmet finally and we are finally venturing out together on the bike!!!!! I am super stoked about it!

What she immediately asked me for is a way for us to talk while driving. Not a moment of piece :)

What are some ways that you guys communicate with your loved ones that work for you? I am probably leaning towards something like the Cardo Scala Rider but I am open to whatever works well for a good price.

Thanks for any and all feedback Guys!

·
Bat
161 Posts
We got the Cardio Scala, and find it works fine from one end of the couch to the other. Haven't had a chance to try it on the road installed in helmets yet, but assume that it will work as advertised, up to a mile, maybe more.

It is a nice, compact little outfit, and we got both the boom mike and the velcro version, since we have both modular and full face helmets. It will take a bit of experimenting, but I expect it will be fine once we get the right installation for us.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I got her a full helmet with full face shield so I can't hear her. Silence is golden.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
LOL. We use the Bluetooth headsets too. They are fine as long as you aren't on the freeway. I can't seem to get the volume loud enough for a conversation.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I got her a full helmet with full face shield so I can't hear her. Silence is golden.
lol...and does she wear it around the house too?? JK :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
With better reviews than the CARDO and at about the same price are the Sena bluetooth units.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10.php?tab_menu=overview

Easier to use buttons....and the software is upgradable via your PC.

We had a Cardo Teamset. It never worked right, but to be fair it was an early unit and might have been bug ridden. The bluetooth to my GPS and phone worked flawlessly however.

There's another BT unit on the market that also has good reviews ... That features something I like... There is No microphone. Well there is, but it's in the ear pieces. It uses the same conductive pickups used on military com units, picking up voice through vibrations in your jaw bone.

Edit... That didn't take long did it?
http://xtmmotorsports.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160

Big advantage is no boom mic to mess with...(they are a pain to get positioned right) I can't find the link to this unit right now, but will post it when I do. It's around the same price as the others BTW.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My pipes aren't that loud so it hasn't been a real problem for me. But when I "communicate" with the cagers I normally just use my left middle finger.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
My pipes aren't that loud so it hasn't been a real problem for me. But when I "communicate" with the cagers I normally just use my left middle finger.
Perhaps you should go watch the end of "Easy Rider" ..... You're communication skills are dangerous.

Anyway, to be honest, I plan to buy a non- wireless com system like the Autocom or the Starcom. I find the Bluetooth units to be real cool, but not very user friendly. Tiny buttons you can't see or feel with heavy gloves, batteries to charge, poor volume control, and not being able to prioritize inputs. Not again. Only hassle with wired units is remembering to "unplug" before getting off the bike. I can do that 99% of the time I bet....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who commented and gave me their advice. I spent a good part of the morning looking through different systems and decided to give UCLEAR a shot. I loved the fact that it didn't have a microphone to deal with and there are only 3 buttons to deal with. Given the size and shape of them I would assume they would be rather easy to deal with even with gloves on.
The reviews on the system were great to say the least pretty much everywhere I checked.

I purchased it today through ebay for about $186.00 including shipping and tax... that was about 20 bux cheaper than amazon.

Once I receive it I will spend some time and do a write up of it so everyone knows what kind of system it is.. or at least I think it is.

Thanks Again All-

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Sena bluetooth unit works very well. I have it paired to my phone to take occasional calls on the road. It can be paired with other Sena headsets for conversation. Sena is working on an 'open channel' so that multiple wearers can have an open conversation while on the road. It currently will support up to 3 people on the 'open' channel.

These are not cheap, but work well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do know that to talk to your passenger you will need two of them right?
Yup.. I decided to try one and see if I like it first... Besides we found out recently she was pregnant so realistically I am not sure how much she will be riding this year.. She does however want to be able to call me while I am out and about on the bike...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yup.. I decided to try one and see if I like it first... Besides we found out recently she was pregnant so realistically I am not sure how much she will be riding this year.. She does however want to be able to call me while I am out and about on the bike...

Thanks!
well then...congratulations!!
I think I saw a side car on eBay recently....so you can still take her and the new arrival with you in the future :smiley_th

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts

Thanks!
HEY! Congrats! right? ltms :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts

Thanks!
I think she's supposed to avoid riding the first month, and then the last three. At least that's what my first wife's doctor said when she was carrying our daughter.

As I mentioned, the bluetooth to phone worked great. I'd talk to my wife and she found it hard to believe I was on my bike.....much less doing 80mph down the highway..

Look forward to your review.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well then...congratulations!!
I think I saw a side car on eBay recently....so you can still take her and the new arrival with you in the future :smiley_th
hahahahahah told her today that I need to install a custom luggage rack so we can put the baby seat back there :) She def did NOT find it funny lol.

And Thank You!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think she's supposed to avoid riding the first month, and then the last three. At least that's what my first wife's doctor said when she was carrying our daughter.

As I mentioned, the bluetooth to phone worked great. I'd talk to my wife and she found it hard to believe I was on my bike.....much less doing 80mph down the highway..

Look forward to your review.
Gooooood Info and Thanks! We plan on asking our Dr as well.

And....

I look forward to writing the review.. It ships from Temple Hills Maryland which is about 20 minutes from my house... so it should be here pretty fast..

PS. Thank You Kanuck!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't spend any money just yet, and see if she continues to like riding. That is if you are both riding a Vulcan 750. My youngest daughter, now 20, used to like to ride with me when she was a lot younger (and smaller and lighter) but she no longer wants to ride with me on the Vulcan, saying it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I've never ridden on the back of a Vulcan 750, but from the looks of what is supposed to be the passenger part of the seat, it is probably worse the the rider portion is good. And our combined weight was too much for the rear suspension, it bottomed out over every little bump.

Now that I have a Goldwing with Progressive air shocks on it, she likes to ride again. We have yet to get any kind off communications device.

If you get a communications device, I highly recommend you get one that ONLY allows you to talk to each other. Cell phone using drivers are a riders worst enemy, to me the idea of a rider using such a device while riding is just plain wrong (not to mention dangerous).

My Goldwing (an '85 LTD) came with bits and pieces of a cable type intercom, which worked through the stereo system. But the stereo didn't work, and I don't listen to a stereo while riding anyway, so all that stuff got removed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First of all, I wouldn't spend any money just yet, and see if she continues to like riding. That is if you are both riding a Vulcan 750. My youngest daughter, now 20, used to like to ride with me when she was a lot younger (and smaller and lighter) but she no longer wants to ride with me on the Vulcan, saying it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I've never ridden on the back of a Vulcan 750, but from the looks of what is supposed to be the passenger part of the seat, it is probably worse the the rider portion is good. And our combined weight was too much for the rear suspension, it bottomed out over every little bump.

Now that I have a Goldwing with Progressive air shocks on it, she likes to ride again. We have yet to get any kind off communications device.

If you get a communications device, I highly recommend you get one that ONLY allows you to talk to each other. Cell phone using drivers are a riders worst enemy, to me the idea of a rider using such a device while riding is just plain wrong (not to mention dangerous).

My Goldwing (an '85 LTD) came with bits and pieces of a cable type intercom, which worked through the stereo system. But the stereo didn't work, and I don't listen to a stereo while riding anyway, so all that stuff got removed.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts Jerry-

I agree about the room for the passenger.. My lady is super tiny soooo she can fit but I am not convinced it will be very comfortable over a couple hour road trip. I am seriously considering doing the Vulcan 900 Seat Mod... Chuck was telling me it def gave him and his lady some extra room..

Hope you have a good one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts