Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Cindy's post about her shield fogging it got me to thinking what style of helmet each of us wear and why we chose that style.

When I first started riding I use to wear a full face helmet with a tinted shield and always carried a clear shield for when it got dark. Got tired of carrying the spare shield around so I stayed with the clear and wore sunglasses.

These days I switched to an open face with a clear shield (HJC C-33). I like to ride with the shield up sometimes so I wear safety sunglasses during the day and clear safety glasses at night. The shield helps on the highway, during dusty conditions and riding into a bug swarm.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Full face with clear shield and safety glasses when I'm leaving in the dark - coming home in the dark or in the light (just completed a job which required 12+ hr days). I normally only ride during daylight and thus usually have the smoke shield on.

Mine's a HJC CL-14 and I plan on switching soon. Kinda been thinking about one of the new scorpions (the new HJC's don't fit my head right).

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Full face with clear face shield. I wear glasses and they are photo gray that change with the light.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Ever since Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger took a header off his bike and messed up his face, I've been wearing a white, full-face HJC AC-12. (I used to wear the HJC 3/4 with sunglasses.) It meets all the safety requirements, the air-flow is fine, the visor can be raised into three different (useful) positions, it's comfortable, and it's relatively inexpensive. I've replaced the clear shield with various RST shields (gold & silver) ~ I no longer need to wear sunglasses, and I can see well even in the dark so I don't swap it out when riding at night (although I've noted that other users have found it too dark). I ride behind a PF3 windshield, so unless the weather is cold, I often have the visor raised to some degree.

helmet ~ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/5265/ITEM/HJC-AC-12-Helmet.aspx

visor ~ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/3801/ITEM/HJC-RST-Shield-for-AC-12,-AC-12-Carbon,-CL-15-and-CL-SP-Helmet.aspx

·
Registered
185 Posts
full face,

Scorpion EX400. Clear visor, + shades during daylight.

·
Old new guy
31 Posts
Back in the late 70s, early 80's I wore a white full face helmet. Having my face scraped off in an unplanned get-off didn't appeal to me. But I replaced it with a 3/4 Shoei in '86, and wore that for many years, with a pair of Ray-Bans. I'm now wearing a red Scorpion 3/4 with safety glasses or sometimes those same Ray-Bans (which I've been wearing since 1972). I don't like the optical quality of face shields. And I still don't like the idea of having my chin ground down on the asphalt, but I find the full face too restrictive. I started wearing the polycarbonate safety glasses when I read about someone who got hit with a pebble in the glasses and got an eye full of glass shards. The Scorpion is a good fit for my narrow head. The HJC was too round.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
My regular helmet is the full face, HJC CL-12 Street Fighter. It did fit a little funny, so I put a couple of shop rags under the liner to where it fit's just right.
Normally I have a grey tinted shield and wear the Walmart "WindRider" sun/safety glasses. They have a 2 layer lens. If it gets too dark out, you can remove the back dark tinted lens and then just use them with the front, permenant, mirrored, very barely yellow tinted, polycarb lens. The frame is all aluminum, so I was able to put a little bend here, a little bend there and get them to fit just how I like them. I also trimmed about 1 1/2in off the ear posts, so they're easier to put on and off while wearing the helmet.
IMO, these are the best glasses I've ever had for streetbikin' and regular use.

I also have a snap in, velcroed breath shield for colder rides. It's supposedly made for the CL-14, but fits the CL-12 just like it's made for it. I have a pic of it HERE, while wearing the single layer of the above glasses.

Also for it, I have a clear, insulated (dual layer) snowmobile shield. It rarely fogs up, but it seems the material is softer than a standard shield so it scratches (or should I say scratched!) pretty easily?? I only use it if an entire ride, in really cold weather, is gonna most likely be ridden with the shield down.

And lastley, attached inside the liner I have speakers for my Chatterbox communicator. The way I understand it, Chatterbox is made by the same company as the HJC helmets, and (I believe) all HJC full face helmets have a pocket in them for these.
I just got a cord to hook up an MP3, CD player, or whatever to just the speakers, but haven't tried it out yet, other than while sitting infront of the 'puter, wearing the helmet and listening to some Ted Nugent :rockon:.
Gotta be safe while surfin' the net!!! LOL

I also have the Walmart, Bell brand, half helmet as a back-up/passenger helmet, with grey flip up, tinted shield/visor.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Both me an my wife have Shoei RF-1000 full face helmets. photo here:
http://tinyurl.com/y7ctjw
(in matching silver...yeah, how cute..)
Mine has a the blue mirrored Spectra visor, while hers has a gradiant mirror. When on trips it is no problem to take along the clear shields for when it gets dark. You can swap shields in about 20 seconds. And being somewhat photophobic , I usualy wear sunglasses under the tinted sheild on bright days.
I also have a KBC TK-7 full face that always has a clear shield on, so if I don't feel like switching visors on the RF when going out at night or before sun-up , I will grab that helmet instead.
I wore a Shoei Ram Air 3/4 helmet for awhile when I first got my Vulcan, but do to wind noise, and seeing a few unschedualed "face lifts" on other riders, I plan on sticking to the full face helmet for the duration.
I only wear Snell approved full face helmets now, but may consider a "flip up" full face one if testing shows them to be as safe. The new MultiTech helmet from Shoei , is I believe, the only flip up helmet on the market that carries the
Snell sticker.

KM

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Guess I should've named the offending helmet - it's a KBC VR-1 full face - I've got a clear shield for night riding, and a tinted/mirrored one for the daytime. I also carry a pair of safety glasses 'cause some of the rides this summer have been more pleasant with the visor up. My favorite helmet, however, is an HJC Sessions 15 - I've a couple of visors for that. And...um..ok..I'm a helmet whore...I've got a HJC CL14 that makes too much noise; and a Shoei 700 that has a nice anti-fogging feature on the visor, but that I can only wear on really, really cold days (apparently my head swells with the heat). All of mine are full-face. There's also a 3/4 HJC in the house, but I really prefer to have full coverage.

Uh...anyone want to buy a helmet? :)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I wear a HJC modular and 3/4. I use the 3/4 around town but prefer the modular for the road as it cuts down on the buffeting. A day in Wyoming without a 15-20 mph breeze(on the plains) is rare. I found the HJC 3/4 fit a little loose and a leather Durag fills the space nicely.

·
Registered
154 Posts
what helmet do you wear

I usually wear my HJC 3/4 helmet (AC3), I also have a KBC full face, but it doesn't fit me right so it hurts after 30 minutes or so.....

I have my eye on a nolan modular helmet, I just have to drop santa a few more hints........................

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
These days I switched to an open face with a clear shield (HJC C-33). I like to ride with the shield up sometimes so I wear safety sunglasses during the day and clear safety glasses at night. The shield helps on the highway, during dusty conditions and riding into a bug swarm.
Same as you, except I carry the clear shield just in case I get caught in the dark. I wear sunglasses under the tinted shield during the late afternoon when sun is low.

Jon

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Guess I should've named the offending helmet - it's a KBC VR-1 full face - I've got a clear shield for night riding, and a tinted/mirrored one for the daytime. I also carry a pair of safety glasses 'cause some of the rides this summer have been more pleasant with the visor up. My favorite helmet, however, is an HJC Sessions 15 - I've a couple of visors for that. And...um..ok..I'm a helmet whore...I've got a HJC CL14 that makes too much noise; and a Shoei 700 that has a nice anti-fogging feature on the visor, but that I can only wear on really, really cold days (apparently my head swells with the heat). All of mine are full-face. There's also a 3/4 HJC in the house, but I really prefer to have full coverage.

Uh...anyone want to buy a helmet? :)
I can see your closet now . . . 3 pair of shoes on the floor, but a whole wall covered in helmets! :smiley_th

·
Registered
74 Posts
helmet

Cast iron wok with home-made padded suspension system and soft velvet chin-strap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Full face, nothing special on the visor. Bell Apex 3/4. It was one of the only ones in the store that felt like I could wear it an entire day. I like the HJCs, just found myself biting my cheeks too much. HJC-12 for passengers.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Icon Alliance full face with clear shield and sunglasses. When it's hot I usually have the shield up, at least in town. Down on the hwy for more protection. Mine has a totally worthless little flip-up vent on the top. I haven't ever felt any difference open or closed.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
hmmm.. nobody out there is wearing a half helmet or novelty job?? That seems to be all you see around my neck of the woods. I started the season with a vega 3/4 with a clear shield but got a skid lid half helmet mid summer. it's still DOT rated, so it's bigger than novelty's. It's really amazing how much more you can hear with a half helmet. However, now that it's cold, I'm back to the warmer 3/4.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts