Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guess I'll start this show. I had some tread left on the Metzler tires that were on the bike when I got it but being me I want to go with a new set. Michelin Commander II's went on the front and rear.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
While doing the tires I went ahead and put new ceramic pads by a company call 'Sixty' on the front and rear. These are the EBC that came off the bike. Front are is good shape but the rears were pretty well used up.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Guess I'll start this show. I had some tread left on the tires that were on the bike when I got it but being me I want to go with a new set. Michelin Commander II's went on the front and rear.

While doing the tires I went ahead on put new ceramic pads by a company call 'Sixty' on the front and rear.

While the wheels were off the bike, why not put new seals and bearings in. 33,000 and 11 years on the others.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1361&pictureid=8121

While we are at it, lets do the oil change.

Put the bags back on after the tire change and the left tail/brake lights did not work. Had the repair the wiring at the plug.
Routine maintenance on a bagger, ain't real routine is it Chuck? you should have pretty trouble free summer now. I pull that routine about the end of winter when I down mine for a week or two every year and it is a good time to find a lot of little things you don't normally see and head them off before they become a problem. You will like the Commander II's.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While the wheels were off the bike, why not put new seals and bearings in. ALL BALLS Brand. 33,000 and 11 years on the factory bearings but they felt like they were in great shape..

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put the bags back on after the tire change and the left tail/brake lights did not work. Had the repair the wiring at the plug.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No Denny. This bike is a whole different animal. Just to get it off the ground safely is a new experience.

The bike had a 150/80/16 Metzler on the front when I got it. It was still in great shape. Put the 130/90/16 (Michelin) back on it as factory spec'd and it seemed to corner better and the tire isn't warn in yet.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike is done, lift is down, and tomorrow needs to come so I can put some miles on the new tires and brakes to wear them in. I miss the 750 but I'm loving this 1500.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Let the good times role. if I could be so bold, and it looks like your in the mood to do a few things, maybe one of them digi Volmeters on the top somewhere.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick, I'd have to put 2 meters. One per stator. After I bought the bike Denny mentioned it had two. Yep, two r/r's sitting at the bottom of the radiator. Double trouble?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, while the rear tire was off I found out that you don't have to lube the rear splines on this Nomads. The driveshaft has a seal around it and the splines run in the rear end dope.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Nick, I'd have to put 2 meters. One per stator. After I bought the bike Denny mentioned it had two. Yep, two r/r's sitting at the bottom of the radiator. Double trouble?
Pretty much trouble free so far with 67K on mine, I run an analog volt meter on mine tied into switched main power on mine .I can tell how much the voltage drops with whatever gizmo I turn on. Old school cool.

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
I threw my saddlebags back on Thursday in prep for some longer summer rides.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Ok , now Chuck has got me thinking,. The wheels I put on came with a 150 Metz on the front, pretty close to being done with it. I just Pulled the tires off the old rims and rode down to Big Stone gap VA with two spoked wheels tied on the rear seat and came back with two practically new rear shocks. I had one shock leaking oil but it stopped leaking .Since I pretty sure it hadn't healed up on its own I figured it had all leaked out and was empty,hence the trade.

I had about a four hour round trip ride to ponder on it and when I take a day to change the rear shocks. I am gonna put my 130 Michelin Commander II back on the front, I didn't ever like the way it felt with the 150 on the front,just never felt planted in a curve at high speed,part of that could be that bad shock. The slow speed handling in parking lots was the worst thing is, after a hard turn it just didn't want to turn back without great effort,making it clumsy at slow speeds.

An interesting side note is the earlier Nomads came with the 150 as the OE spec tire , some where down the line Kaw listened to the riders and started spec-ing the 130 as OE size. I see why now.

I can also lower my fender back down like I had it before when it had a 130 on it. Winner,winner, chicken dinner.:motorcycl

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rode 120 miles today on some of the curviest roads in North Alabama and the Commander II's were GREAT!! Stuck like glue and they weren't ran in good yet. The 130's handled hands down better than the 150 with out any effort. We were pushing our bikes just about to the limit. At first I was a little edging not knowing the bike any better yet but it came to me and it was a blast. The other guy was on a Valkerie.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I cursed at Bessie all the time I was on my forge (bitch just sat there watchin me)....then cursed the remaining dregs of coal and went back to work on Bessie....

To answer the question exactly..... I lover her, hated her, loved her, hated her (much like a wife or GF).....and I sandblasted her spark plugs today....
Called around lookin fer new red plug wire....nobody local had it....and I cut her some slack and took her around town fer a spin.....meh....

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It happens. Bikes are like a real woman. Love her, curse her, then want to ride her cause she feels good between your legs. It happens.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Well...what I did for my bike yesterday was to give her a little TLC.

After days of construction going on, I went into the shed and found her all covered in dust and looking very lonely.
I moved cement bags, tools. and various other items so I could back her out of the shed and into the sunlight. My 9 year old girl and I washed, and polished up the bike and conditioned the seat and saddle bags. The bike got a good cleaning, and a rub down.

In return, she fired up and ran like a champ, so I showed her off proudly around town and up and down the highway for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's time well spent KC. And I do mean the time spent with your 9 year old daughter.:notworthy

·
Registered
493 Posts
I bought my bike a guard dog.

Photo0100[1].jpg

Photo0099[1].jpg I haven't done much for my bike lately, and it looks a bit abandoned, But I did pick up a pup to keep it company and me too. also been building a large run for the Pup which i named "Kitty" lol, Rotty X American Johnston bulldog. The desperado eats slippers and chews everything and is testing my patients, with house training. But being a Bitch no probs with her painting my wheels with urine. I sometimes wonder who's training who.
I've also got a new seat of a VN 900 custom, waiting to be mounted.
2 regulators? that's different. Twice as good!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts