Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've tried several differant cleaners like "mean green" & various car soaps, but nothing really seams to get my wheels (Rims) clean. What do you use. I've even tried brake cleaner.:doh:Nothing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I use Blue coral wheel magic.If they are reall dirty a tooth brush and some elbow grease with this stuff works good.I use this stuff on the frame and engine of the bike too.It also works pretty good on engine bays and engines when detailing cars.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was under the asumption that the wheels where clear coated. So I didn't try an aluminum/metal polish. And even though our engines are aluminum, I know mines painted. (not black) So again, polish I didn't try.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's why I like the wheel magic it's safe for all wheel surfaces and it's spray on rinse off and won't effect the clear like some other cleaners will.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Q-tips also help.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
You are not going to believe this, but anyone that went to the Gathering in 2005 will swear by them too..
Pure and Gentle baby wipes.
That's right, those cheap little baby wipes from Walmart that come like 200 to a pack.
When we were doing JD's splines Rick was cleaning off the rear wheel and stopped at one time to ask for something to wipe his hands with. I handed him a baby wipe and he used it on the wheel. He stopped and looked at the wheel he had been laboring over.. It was clean and shiney! A couple of more wipes and the wheel looked almost as good as new. JD washes his bike maybe once a year so there was quite a bit of build-up. We also tried it on the forks with the same results. Now I carry a pack with me and they are handy for washing your hands afterwards too!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Never thought to use them for cleaning parts. I know they work great for preventing clothes from staining after spilling coffee or soda. Hmmm....my wheels are looking a little dirty.....

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've gotta try it. That just sounds too easy. It couldn't be that simple could it? I've ben thinking of all these harsh chemicals and here it's something as soft as a babys bottom!

·
fuzz
138 Posts
i just use cheap ass wheel cleaner , and a shop rag

I know I've tried several differant cleaners like "mean green" & various car soaps, but nothing really seams to get my wheels (Rims) clean. What do you use. I've even tried brake cleaner.:doh:Nothing.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
cheap mag wheel cleaner and

2000 psi pressure washer = like new. Combine that with tire cleaner and it's a quick-n-easy wash up. Baby wipes? ya, can't live without them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sort of related. You can use disposable furniture cloths to shine the paint and chrome. The ones I use were $2 from Dollar General.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
I just use a bit of Dawn detergent and some old T shirts.
I normaly put the bike on the centerstand and block it so I can turn the wheel while I clean. An old shallow pan goes under the wheel, I just sit on the ground and wash the whole thing, tires and all.
If you do this often enough you don't need to use strong or harsh chemicals.

I'd never allow a pressure washer near my bike.....

KM

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I just use a bit of Dawn detergent and some old T shirts.
I normaly put the bike on the centerstand and block it so I can turn the wheel while I clean. An old shallow pan goes under the wheel, I just sit on the ground and wash the whole thing, tires and all.
If you do this often enough you don't need to use strong or harsh chemicals.

I'd never allow a pressure washer near my bike.....

KM
I am with you on no pressure wash for bikes.
Also that is pretty much the way I wash mine too. When I do wash it. I am lacks at that. I kind of just wipe tank and fenders....what a shame...oh well.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
No pressure wash?

Get real. My VN is a daily commuter, rain or shine at times, driven on a 100 yard gravel drive every day. In the Great Northwest good roads are a convience. If I can wash my wheels in 10 minutes with a pressure washer, that’s good for me. I don’t do the paint and keep it on the wide fan setting. I do use it around and under the front of the engine with cleaner to wash off road grime from the front wheel.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
No you get real!!! lol, The reason that I do not use pressure wash is that I do not want water in my electrical connections and in my bearing and in my engine. I guess if one is careful to avoid the critical areas you will be okay. I hate to hassel with elecrical problems.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
No you get real!!! lol, The reason that I do not use pressure wash is that I do not want water in my electrical connections and in my bearing and in my engine. I guess if one is careful to avoid the critical areas you will be okay. I hate to hassel with elecrical problems.
Every time I've pressure washed a motorcycle I've had issues with water getting in the electricals where I didn't want it. I've know a local guy who claimed to screw up his wheel bearings with a pressure washer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Alright, what is your wheel covered in that you are trying to clean up? I had a buddy who had 6 years of break dust on his spoked wheels , and we used wool cloth or like a scotch pad and it didnt scratch the chrome what so ever. Mothers also makes alot of products that will help keep them clean.
As far as pressure washing goes, i have friends who ride there Honda goldwings to Do-It-Ur-Self wash places and hit it with that pressure washer and they have never had a problem. Now i dont know why some of your friends are having problems with electrical and bearings, but bikes are made to ride through the rain, are they not? But i know what your going to say, rain doesnt hit your bike at 2,000 psi! just dont stand to close and it should sparkle.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Ultimate Wheel kleen

Here's what a wing rider did with his 10 spoke mags.

When you need a tire change, remove the wheel, tire, rotors, and bearings (or just tape them up). Take your stripped wheel to a shop that has glass beading service and have them blast it. Glass beads will make the castings really clean and bright, better than new. DO NOT let them use anything other than beads as any other abrasive will be too rough and dull up the metal.

After the bead work, take some 000 or 0000 steel wool and buff up the rims to a high gloss - if that's the look you want.

This wing rider still was not happy with the look so he chormed front and rear wheels. Never would tell me how much it cost. It does look great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts