Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 82 wing front end complete. Other than getting the triple tree mounted, what other problems would this create if I mount it to a vn750? I like the idea of having a 120/18 10 spoke mag on the front of my vulcan. Air forks too! I've never liked the 110/19 skinny front wheel we have.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
There is a tab on the neck of the VN750 that will probably have to be ground down. We mounted a VN1500 front end to the project bike and had to eliminate the tab (believe it is for the wheel "lock" for parking) .
We also had to shim the handlebars since we were going from 1" to 7/8". Otherwise we would have had to replace all the handlebar controls.
Other things that key off of the front end.. Brake calibers, rotors, speedometer feed unit, headlight mount. If those all line up, you should be ok as far as install. I'm not sure what the rake is on the 82 Wing but that will affect the handling a little.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I wouldn't doubt there'd be some slight unforeseen things that would need "adjusted" to work right,
but anything is possible.
Like Dianna mentioned, could be some handling issues with the trail/rake difference.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Mentioned this to Starr and he said you will have to change the speedometer unit since you are going from a 19' to an 18' front wheel. If you like the idea of a cast spoke you may want to look for an 83 front wheel since it is solid rather than a composite. Your brake Master cyclinder should work but use the Wing calibers. No shim for the handlebars since they are 7/8" also.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Mentioned this to Starr and he said you will have to change the speedometer unit since you are going from a 19" to an 18" front wheel.
That's possible, but I'd try it with the 'wing sending unit first anyway. A lot of speedos have the same gearing inside the head; it's the unit on the wheel that's different. You won't know 'til you try it, tho.

Jim

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Uhhhh.. JD, that's what I was talking about when I said speedometer unit, I was referring to the sending unit of the speedometer *G*.
So basic hookups would be the wing front end stuff, (sending unit, rotors and calibers) tied into the VN750

·
Registered
158 Posts
Diana, can you tell me more about putting the 1500 front end on the 750. Perhaps some pictures? I want modify my bike some more and the triple tree is one of the things I want to change.

With what you saw would it work just to switch out the triple trees or would I need to use the 1500 forks, wheel, calipers, etc...as well?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Here's what it'd look like w/o a full fairing........

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good ideas folks, here's some more info: I have the 83 wheel (10 spoke mag), a generic speedometer - chrome, complete braking system from the wing, and the touring size front fender. I will need a head light bucket as the Wing used a windjammer. The local Kawa dealer says it should track down the road better with the wider tire.

DT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts