Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was almost run off the road by what turned out to be a co-worker (chewed his butt out out later) but was almost run off the raod by him not looking over his shoulder before a lane change... do y'all think getting rid of the goat's belly and making the pipes louder would help (a little)???

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
A louder horn may help (a lot) and be an easier upgrade.

While I am certainly do not support louder pipes, I concede that louder pipes "may" have helped a little in your situation. But a horn is more effective and doesn't anger 90% of the public. A loud horn is more attention getting than a loud exhaust drone that is always present.

"Loud Pipes Risk Rights!"

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
People with poor driving habits are going to be a problem regardless of how the bike sounds. I agree that a good set of horns gets their attention faster than loud pipes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
...do y'all think getting rid of the goat's belly and making the pipes louder would help (a little)???
No. "Loud pipes saves lives" is a motorcycle myth.

Awareness on your part may be the only true solution; constant calculation of escape route, control space directly ahead of bike, keep out of blind spots, be visible, etc., etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why did you say her?
Force of habit. In these parts it is common to refer to anyone with a lack of driving skills as "driving like a woman."

And before the feminists jump down down my throat I would point out that Essex (southern Essex in particular) is the birthplace of nealrly every negative social and cultural stereotype you can imagine and worse still far too many of my neighbours are all too proud of it. I suppose that Essex Man/Woman is the nearest thing us Brits have to a Redneck.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
To restate the painfully obvious--the "down" side of riding a motorcycle in this country is that most drivers aren't looking for motorcycles, because they don't ride themselves and have never been taught to look for motorcycles or scooters.

It may have been David Hough in his Proficient Motorcycling books who taught us that part of riding a motorcycle is playing a mental game of "what if" and thus anticipating what a nearby driver might do next.

You should be constantly asking yourself "what might he/she do next?" (for vehicles that are around you and especially in front of you) and planning accordingly--either by slowing down, giving the vehicle in question more space, moving over away from them in your lane, hanging back, etc as the situation requires.

Obviously, there is a practical limit to all this, but old bikers get to be old bikers (in part) by being 2 steps ahead of nearby hazards before the looming "trap" can close on them.

This is one reason why riding a motorcycle is a higher calling (so to speak) because of the above--it demands more attention and concentration than driving a car or truck. To stay alive, riding a motorcycle is a thinking man's/woman's activity.

But hey, don't take my word for it. To see all this for yourself, click on the following link, and then click "collision traps":

http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
truth is people with loud pipes like loud pipes and some try to justify it by saying loud pipes save lives. because truth is you could land a jumbo jet next to some of these people and between talking texting playing with their laptops reading books newspapers and other activities they would be completely oblivious.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
i second that !

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Wear bright gear (I wear a solid white FF helmet and an orange vest), get some super loud horns (though I would stick with electric horns, something about air horns on a motorcycle just seems weird to me, but that's just my opinion) and use them often. But the most important thing you can do is to be constantly aware of what is going on around you at all times, learn to anticipate what cage drivers might do, and be ready for it. Improve your reaction time, and learn how to take proper evasive action when necessary. If you are on the street on a motorcycle, you are basically in a combat zone, and you are seriously outnumbered and out gunned. Only being more aware, and having better skills than the enemy will save you. Certainly don't expect any help from them. They are all out to nail you, remember? I don't mean this literally, but it might as well be, the results are the same.

I guess one point in favor of loud pipes is that makers of hybrid and electric vehicles will soon be required to add some kind of noisemaking device to them so people can here them, as dumb as that seems. While I am 100% an internal combustion guy, the one neat thing about these weird vehicles was their almost complete lack of noise. When I was about 6 years old, I remember having a fake plastic motor on my bicycle that made a motorcycle sound. 2 years later I was riding the real thing. Jerry.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
The above responses are dead on (if you'll pardon the pun)--wearing bright-colored gear is standard equipment for the smart biker.

Whenever I ride, I have on a full-face Shoei helmet with a color that Shoei calls "axis yellow". And, like Jerry above, I also ride with a fluorescent orange riding vest. A solid white helmet works fine though, if you don't want to be quite so "out there".

Wearing bright colors is a great way to make it harder for cagers to miss you. But it isn't totally fool-proof all the time. You still need to be "thinking ahead" whenever you ride.

To really kick things up a few clicks, consider fitting your bike with a headlamp modulator. This makes you stand out even more.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I agree with all that was said here and have two things to add..

Jerry, the story of makers having to add noise devices to electric cars is just a internet myth, no maker has recieved such requests from our government.

bbowles... if you were relying on the car in front of you to look over their shoulder to see you , that would mean you were driving in their blind spot and should avoid such positioning in the future...much less trying to blame your co worker when part of it was in fact your fault for assuming he would see you.

Not to mention if you were slightly behind him in another lane he would not have heard your bike until you were right next to him or passing him.

learn to use your horn and ride more defensively.........
don't piss off more non riders by making your bike louder.....

KM

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
"Jerry, the story of makers having to add noise devices to electric cars is just a internet myth, no maker has received such requests from our government." I hope that's true, it would be a shame to mess up the one cool thing about these vehicles.

BTW, I also use headlight and brake light modulators on my Vulcan, and will probably put them on my newly acquired EX500 as well, when funds become available. Jerry.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
modulators are the most annoying thing you can put on a bike. (thats why they work)

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
modulators are the most annoying thing you can put on a bike. (thats why they work)
Obviously, you never met my former mother-in-law.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:) I got a cool Mother-in-law... Well, all opinions seem to point to the right thing, I won't chew my co-workers ass out. I know he wouldn't have heard me unless I was up next to him. I'm still gonna blame him for not looking over his shoulder, as I was in his blind spot I knew to look for signs from the other drivers, I just couldnt get past him before he decided to change lanes...
Thank you for all your input!
Bbowles

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Just yesterday afternoon ..i was riding in my lane and keeping a watchful eye on the lady in the right lane in front of me(due to preliminary signs of incompetent driving such as no turn signal use, changing lanes too late...etc.) I was on guard for her next stupid mistake which was to change lanes (cut into my lane ) at the last conceivable second...which would have hit me. Fortunately I hit the gas and blew right by(like on the movie Top gun) and laid on the stebel air horn.....priceless...especially under an overpass where the sound reverberates very well...i looked in my mirror as she pulled up behind me..and shook my head. She looked like she was having a nervous breakdown! If they can't drive..they shouldnt be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts