Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a previous post, I was unable to start the bike with the clutch pulled in... At all. Whether the bike was in neutral or not. The bike had to be in neutral, with no clutch pulled in, to start.

I took advice to clean the switch. Still had the same problem. Then, i tried jumping the wires together. There's a black/red, black yellow, and solid black wire at the switch. the blk/red + black wire turned the neutral light on. the blk/yellow + black wire did nothing. When i jumped them all together, again, nothing.

Except now, with the clutch switch hooked back up, the bike won't start, and the neutral light won't come on.

I grounded the neutral safety switch at the transmission, and the bike comes on, but the neutral light stays on. Did I fry a wire somewhere by connecting all three wires, or mistakenly connecting the blk/red +blk/yellow wires together?

Did I fry the neutral safety switch on the motor? Is there a way to bypass any of this, without having the neutral light on all the time?

Thanks.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
when you ground out the green wire coming out of the neutral switch, it will cause the light to stay on at all times. Black/Yello wire to solid Black is the correct way to bypass the clutch circuit, and should at the same time bypass the neutral switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so following your post, http:// www. vn750. com/forum/showthread.php?t= 23368&page= 2" i think i may have messed up the diodes in the junction box for the safety devices, when i jumped the blk/yellow + blk/red.

I think...

When i probe pin 11 with the test light, and push the start button, the light comes on. Same thing with pin 12.

However, i'm not sure how to "check continuity" for the neutral switch. If i ground the neutral switch, the bike starts, and the neutral light comes on. So i think that works.

According to the write up, it suggests that there's a problem with the junction box.

So my question is, how can i bypass the junction box, so i can ride, and not have that neutral light staring me in the face? Also, would the neutral light stay off all the time, or only when not in neutral?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so following one of your old posts, i think i may have messed up the diodes in the junction box for the safety devices, when i jumped the blk/yellow + blk/red.

I think...

When i probe pin 11 with the test light, and push the start button, the light comes on. Same thing with pin 12.

However, i'm not sure how to "check continuity" for the neutral switch. If i ground the neutral switch, the bike starts, and the neutral light comes on. So i think that works.

According to the write up, it suggests that there's a problem with the junction box.

So my question is, how can i bypass the junction box, so i can ride, and not have that neutral light staring me in the face? Also, would the neutral light stay off all the time, or only when not in neutral?

Thanks.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
ok, so following one of your old posts, i think i may have messed up the diodes in the junction box for the safety devices, when i jumped the blk/yellow + blk/red.

I think...

Thanks.
PM SlimVulcanRider....he know's the VN750 junction box in his head ! LOL

:smiley_th

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i have managed to bypass the safety switches by grounding out a black wire on the 10pin plug in the junction box. I'm not really sure what pin number it is. The diagrams from the service manual had me a little confused.

The bike starts, it runs, and there appears to be no issues. However, now i don't have a neutral light. That kind of sucks. I'm still not really sure what I fried yesterday to make it like this.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
trying to follow along...but you got me confused as to what happened...lol

Where are you located?
I have a spare JB. if you need it, PM me and we will work out a trade for your old one (which I will repair and keep as my spare).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ I live in indianapolis. I would be willing to do a trade.

so the short story. The bike would only start in neutral. I was messing with the clutch switch, trying to jump it. I think i crossed the wrong wires (blk/rd + blk/yllw) in the switch, and messed something up. I was able to ground a black wire on the 10 pin connector in the junction box. Now, all of the safety devices are bypassed. but i have no neutral light.

Does that sum it up? lol

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
You wouldn't have fried the diodes unless you applied power to them in the wrong direction. By putting black/red to black/yellow, you just put the ground circuit back to the neutral switch, not to the ignition control box. What happens when you put black/yellow to solid black?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I just went out and checked mine. I bypassed it over 10 years ago, when the bike was new. It is the black/yellow and solid black wires I connected together. I also bypassed the sidestand switch. Neutral light still works, but if it stayed on all the time, and the repair was going to be complicated or expensive, I'd just disconnect it. I have ridden a lot of bikes without the neutral light, and always check to make sure it is in neutral anyway, as those lights have been known to be wrong.

But then I almost never use neutral anyway. I keep it in first with the clutch in at stop lights, and park it in first. When i go to ride it again, I pull in the clutch and start it in first, release the clutch, and take off. Neutral is only used for warmup after it's been sitting for a while, and even then I hit the kill switch, shift it into first and restart it before taking off. I have a fairly steep driveway, and once in a while I'll get it started rolling down the driveway, and shift into first while it is moving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when i connect the black wire to the the black/yellow wire, nothing happens. when i connected the black wire to the black/red wire, the neutral light came on. When i connected the black/yellow +black/red, **** got hot. I disconnected them.

for the time being, the switch is disconnected, and bypassed at the junction box. When i tried to reconnect the clutch switch, **** started smoking. So i figured it was best not to keep that connected.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
something is back feeding through the junction box some how... how do the JB connectors and pins look. while you are inspecting those, check the ignition control box as well. like i posted earlier, no power should be going through those wires, they are all on the ground side of the circuit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts