Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys let me first start off by saying I am a complete novice in the mechanics of motorcycles. I was looking at my 05 750 and I noticed two semi clear tubes sticking out from the bottom of the bike. When I touched one it actually fell out. Now I am affraid to start the bike. What are these tubes and how easy is it to reatach that hose, and can I ride it without it? Thanks for your help ion advance.

Roger

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If you have the stock, or wet cell battery, one of the tubes is the vent for that. You definatly want to reattach that if it came off!!

The other, I believe, is the gas tank vent.

You'll need to remove the seat to see which came off.
If the gas tank one, you'll see that easily, as there's a metal tube at the back of the tank it attaches to.
You will probably need to remove the battery to reattach the tube if it's that one.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I second Hyper... If one is clear it goes to the wet cell battery, usually the gas tank vent is black I believe... If the battery has been replaced by a Maintence Free one it may not have a vent connection and could be why it fell out when you touched it.... BTW-If it is a wet cell, while you are checking the tube, check and service the battery with distilled water, they dry up pretty quick, I usually check mine at least every time I change oil (3K), and even more during hot weather...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
So, are you a tuba player?

DT

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
There are several vent hoses on your bike. One which is clear is the battery vent hose. If this is the one you pulled off, it is relatively easy to replace. Without it in place, your battery fluid could overflow and the acid could corrode part of your electrical system and frame. To replace the battery vent hose, you need to remove the seat.
Picture 1.jpg
Then you will see the battery. Attach the hose to the outlet on the top left side of the battery (left is the side the kickstand is on). Be certain to route the vent hose properly.
Picture 2.jpg
There are other vent hoses, and I don't know if this is the one you pulled off. But there should be a diagram of them in your owner's manual.

Good luck my friend. Enjoy your bike. I love mine!!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Old dog is right. If your battery was replaced with a maintenance free one, the vent hose is obsolete and it can be thrown away. There won't be a place to attach it to the battery.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
One very important thing.. If it is the clear tube from your wet cell battery, do not replace it! Instead, replace the wet cell battery with a maintenance free battery.
You will then have the benefit of the following:
No more vent tubes
No battery acid spills to corrode the electronics
No taking the seat off every week or two to check the battery level
Better starts

*Steps off the soap box. nods to the crowd.. Thank you, thank you very much.. *

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow so glad I found this site much thanks. I am an IT guy so if you have any computer related questions let me know I will happily return the favor.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I am so digitally dumb, that I couldn't even ask a question that you would understand...lol... But thanks anyway...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If I am right you also have a vent tube for the coolant tank that hangs down also right about at the swing brace. In the same location of the battery tube.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Very cool.

yeah been playing tuba for 16 years. Though I have not played in a while.
I play on a St. Petersburg as often as I can. Community orchestra, band, small ensembles, parades, even carry it on the back of my 750.

IT? don't need one, I'm on a MAC ;-)

DT

·
Registered
748 Posts
So the black tube hanging down in front of the bike (below the oil filter) is the gas tank vent tube?
Just to the right side of the bike, alongside the radiator? Nope; that's the drain tube from the surge tank. That's where oil that makes it into the surge tanke from the crankcase vent drains out; the nipple for it is behind the right ear, below the duct from the ear to the surge tank.

The gas tank vent tube should exit the frame just in front of the swingarm, on the left side of the bike.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys its was the battery tube I took your advice and put in a main free batt. Thanks again for all your help!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts