Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Copy and Pasta from the New Member Introduction section)
By chance, I found the 1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 listed for sale. Initially, the listing had no photos of it so I don't have a heck of any idea of how it looks and what is a Vulcan 750.

I was not looking for cruisers at the time I found the listing. But damn! Now that I see the picture sent by the seller. It is such a beautiful motorcycle though 2 of the 4 turn signals needs to be replaced as those are dangling down.

There is a petcock seal leak so I made this account on this forum to hopefully understand the Vulcan 750.

The other motorcycle I am eyeing is the Triumph Tiger 1050.
What are the other problems that may arise from a leaking petcock seal?

I am close to pulling the trigger on purchasing that 1992 Vulcan 750 but seller listed it as having a, "... petcock seal leak... reason it won't start." He said it has clean title and is garage kept for more than 5 years.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
It would be unusual for a leaking diaphragm to prevent starting, but not impossible.

Problems, in no particular order...
Front cylinder running rich.
Crankcase filling with gas, contaminating the oil, overfilling causing sticky shifting.
Reduced fuel volume to rear cylinder.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi previously I had issue with bike carburetor. I thought I had a stuck float or other carb issues.I ran the bike the other day started it and warmed it up and it’s running normal again I did nothing to the bike. I am suspect that I will have more episodes of poor runnIng . For now I will try and ride as soon a# weather clears . On another note . I have never closed the petcock. Prior to the ride when the bike was acting up 8 had closed the petcock and it was very hard to turn . Could this fact be a cause of running on one cylinder ?

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe it’s the front cylinder

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
If you never shut the petcock, it may have leaked into the front cylinder. The petcock normally requires vacuum to move the fuel but eventually it will leak and find its way into the crank case. Too much fuel could foul up the plugs in that cylinder. Take one out and see if they are blackened. You may want to check the oil as well.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
If you never shut the petcock, it may have leaked into the front cylinder. The petcock normally requires vacuum to move the fuel but eventually it will leak and find its way into the crank case. Too much fuel could foul up the plugs in that cylinder. Take one out and see if they are blackened. You may want to check the oil as well.
I've had my petcock leak into her front cylinder before...

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you I will look into this

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I've had my petcock leak into her front cylinder before...

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk
When I first got the bike I stored it for the winter and didn’t shut the petcock. A few months later when I took it out to ride there was gas and oil coming out any place it could. Thankfully no damage, but I did have to change the oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts