Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just rebuild the carburetors, but found an inconsistency that I need to double check.

The stock jet needles are front N53A and rear N53B.

But my rebuild kit came with D635 and D636 needles.

I read an old post from a Finnish rider that said the front needle was thinner and longer, and I got that in my head.

But I think now it was wrong...grrrrrrrr...

I saw a post on here from way back (Spockster?) that said the D635 would go in the front. But when I compared, it is the shorter thicker one.

So, does anyone have the definitive answer? Is the N53A the longer thinner one that goes on the front?

EDIT: Couldn't sleep over this. Went ahead took them apart and switched needles. The N53A is the shorter thicker one.
Right?

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I’m not a carb expert by any stretch. I do however know that I have read here a few times that the rear cylinder is configured to run just a tad richer than the front. I’m assuming that the shorter thicker needle would provide more fuel to the cylinder to accomplish this. On the other hand I have also read a few instances where the carb bodies are completely flipped and the bike still runs.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts

Parts list shows N53A for the front, N53B for the rear. Not shown in the diagram, but separately shown on the list.

Either needle will fit and function interchangeably, the cylinders just won't operate at temperature desired by Kawi engineers. I doubt any real difference in driveability would be noticeable, it's a water cooled engine, so they probably weren't making a huge change to the rear cylinder fuel mixture.

The needle passes through the main jet, so a change in the taper alters the amount of fuel flowing through the main.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
The downloaded parts catalog agrees with the parts fiche. N53A for the front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts