Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally looking at some free time to work on the bike . . . and I'm not sure I know what I'm getting into.

The left fork seal is busted, or possibly just the dust cover, I'm not sure. A parking sticker was put on the upper tube and, well, that slid under either the dust cover, seal, something else or all of the above and now I get minor bleeding/welling of fork oil when the forks compress.

I'll have my clymers handy tonight and will be reading then for instructions, but am hoping for some real person advice too.

I am not a wrench, but want to learn and am willing to make mistakes along the way.

Any ideas what I'll need to replace? Should I do both forks at the same time? Drain and replace fork oil while doing it? Caveats, etc?

I live in an apartment complex. Which means no garage to leave the bike half assembled in. It's all gotta be a one shot deal.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
They are not to hard, Bulldog and myself did his with alot of pictures.
http://www.bulldogsbike.com/forkseals.htm
Hope this helps.
Yup... Do your self a favor though, don't remove both fork tubes at the same time as it could affect your alignment. First fork should take about 1 hour. The other one will take half that.

Good luck...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those pics are fantastic and definitely give me a good idea of what to expect.

Questions for those that have done it then.

Only one fork seal is leaking, should I replace seals on both tubes?

What should I be purchasing for this? Seal, Dust Cover and C-Ring? Obviously, I can't tell what, if anything, else is damaged in the tube, but my assumption is just those bits.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Your choice if you want to do both so they are done or just do the one that is leaking.
Rember once you have the bike up the wheel off and all the tools out the second one is easy so I would do it if it was me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts