Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've got the led bulbs, I've got the led relay. (Chinese import & domestic purchase) When I hook it up nothing works. I have tested the bulbs & they are fine. So I hooked up the filament bulbs & Still nothing. If I put the OEM relay back in place with the OEM bulbs, everything works. OEM relay with led's, buzz sound. As expected. So... What am I doing wrong?????

TOTALLY Stumped!:doh:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
sounds like you got a bad relay out of the package,the new one should work with either type of bulbs.Bad new parts will cause premature hair loss,low sex drive,mood swings and divorce .Try a different electronic relay:)

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have tried two! The Chinese one I got off eBay & the one I just bought at a local auto store. I'm kind of stumped!

The bumber is I've given advice based on what I've read a lot about. Now, in execution, things are not as they have been described. Do you think I could have gotten two bad relays in a row? I find it unlikely,

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have tried two! The Chinese one I got off eBay & the one I just bought at a local auto store. I'm kind of stumped!

The bumber is I've given advice based on what I've read a lot about. Now, in execution, things are not as they have been described. Do you think I could have gotten two bad relays in a row? I find it unlikely,
doesn't sound likely but stranger things have happened,do you have a small resistor laying around you can put between the flasher and the LED's and use the stock unit?that is what we did to my buddy's sportbike and left the oem flasher in place.it raises the resistance enough to make a load the stock flasher could "see",another route is a heavy duty flasher made for trailering applications on cages,they don't work off a load but are a set on and off time

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any resistors laying around. lol I'll see what I can find as a heavy duty relay. I had also read that they could work but I thought I'd try the "led" rated ones first. So back to the store I go tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I don't have any resistors laying around.
lucky you ,I encounter resistance every way I turn ,LOL

·
Registered
738 Posts
OK. I've got the led bulbs, I've got the led relay. (Chinese import & domestic purchase) When I hook it up nothing works. I have tested the bulbs & they are fine. So I hooked up the filament bulbs & Still nothing. If I put the OEM relay back in place with the OEM bulbs, everything works. OEM relay with led's, buzz sound. As expected. So... What am I doing wrong?????

TOTALLY Stumped!:doh:
This does not sound right (item in red above). OEM relay with LED's should simply flash faster than normal, not buzz. Are you sure that the LEDs are good?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This does not sound right (item in red above). OEM relay with LED's should simply flash faster than normal, not buzz. Are you sure that the LEDs are good?
Yup, That was one of the first things I checked. Also as an update I have not been to the store & probably won't till tonight at this point. :(

I even got the wiring scematic out & checked for the proper leads to be connected & that all matched.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yup, That was one of the first things I checked. Also as an update I have not been to the store & probably won't till tonight at this point. :(

I even got the wiring scematic out & checked for the proper leads to be connected & that all matched.
If I am not badly mistaken LED lights are polarity sensitive,did you try swapping polarity on the light leads?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uhh, No. lol Being they are a bulb socket to fit a stock housing that shouldn't be the issue. I picked up a HD relay but haven't tried it yet. I'll post in a bit. Let you know the out come.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hmmm..this sounds opposite to what I would expect. Plugging in a third bulb (more resistance) on a trailer used to make my flasher unit flash faster on the car.

The LED lights are lower resistance so there may not be enough power drawn to cycle the flasher. Hence just the buzzing sound. :confused:

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Hmmm..this sounds opposite to what I would expect. Plugging in a third bulb (more resistance) on a trailer used to make my flasher unit flash faster on the car.

The LED lights are lower resistance so there may not be enough power drawn to cycle the flasher. Hence just the buzzing sound. :confused:
Accually more bulbs equals to less resistence. It is like water if you have two outlets you add one more there is less resistense on the flow of water.
The brighter a light is, the less resistence it has. It allowing more elcticity to flow through the filement. The dimmer it is the less electrical flow through it. It does seen backwards. It only stands to reason, brighter light more energy burned.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

here is a good description on how to figure resistance in a circuit and show how resistance is calculated in series and in parallel circuits .

In essence you and nite are both right,the difference is in the type of circuit you are working on.It is hard to get your head around and some things are just that way,I wasn't even going to try to explain it in my own terms,we know how that turns out:)

http://physics.bu.edu/py106/notes/Circuits.html

Sorry for the hijack , now where's Kanuck,is it fixed?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Kinda sounds like the LEDs arent pulling enough current (amps) to keep things energized on the relay, the resistor should help, maybe wire and hide an extra real light bulb under the seat tied in line parallel . Gotta remember the blinker is a bi-metal relay, when it gets hot from current flow (amps) it bends and disconnects itself then cools and does it all over again. Thats why it blinks :)

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Yeppers thats why it buzzes !!!

The LED lights are lower resistance so there may not be enough power drawn to cycle the flasher. Hence just the buzzing sound.
And yes hooking up an extra light does make the flasher go faster, hence its a bi-metal relay and it heats up quicker hence it close quicker more current to flow(amps).

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I think that the led lights and the relays are all in working condition. It is just that different flash relays require different connection. The ones you have tried probably don't work without modifying the relay wiring.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have to get back to this later. My stator came & that takes precedent. I can run the origional bulb till I get it figured out.

I did notice though, they didn't seem to be making a good contact in the socket. If I wiggled them, they would turn on. I'm suspecting the springs pushing up on the posative connections might need a little adjusting.

Aparently for some reason they are prutty snug in the housing & not fully extending to make a good contact. So I'll look into that & get back to this when I'm done with the stator & wiring in the mosfet R&R.

Weekends are to busy to get anything done anyways! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts