Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was out cruising today, I noticed my fan come on a few times, and then I thought to myself, "Wonder if you can put a water wetter in these engines?" I remember cooling effiency discussions with my 2nd car, and the thing to do at the time was use a water wetter, like something from Redline. Has anyone tried this with our bikes?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hummm not sure... i know it is used on pc rigs. they normally have copper or alum. in them so it should be fine from a metal stand point. not sure how the effect on rubber would be. wanna be our guinne pig.... btw i will get that muzzy fan for next summer

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I've already been the guinea pig with this too.
I used water wetter in my radiator before the last coolant change. Then I switched to Engine Ice.
Both work in keeping the temp down, especially in Arkansas and the lingering hot spells.
Water Wetter is less expensive at about $7 or $8 a bottle and you only use a little. Engine Ice runs about $20 a half gallon

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much do you add? How do the two compare?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
As far as keeping the bike cooler, about the same. Engine Ice is just all pre-mixed in a half gallon jug.
One bottle of water wetter was enough to do the VN750 and the Goldwing. Actual dosage is on the bottle.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles did you go with the wetter, and how many with the ice? Did you experience any adverse effects? Perhaps we should push this for us southern folk?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Let's see.. last summer was with the water wetter, so about 10,000 miles. This year is with Engine Ice so about 8,000 miles so far
No adverse affects, radiator flushes clean, bike runs to the left of the temp icon.
*L* I thought most Southern rider knew about either one of them.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, just us elderly. And then, it took me til now to even think of it. What's that, 7 years?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was "kind of" before my time, or before my knowledge of them, at least. Try Advance and AutoZone in Lacrosse.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm. weather underground had the X on Lacrosse. I was going for a zip code, didn't want to do a lot of digging to find one. Did I mention that I lived the first 11 years in Madison? Anyhow, yes, look on their site. I really don't think you'll need water wetter in WI. Well, maybe. I remember that we didn't have an air conditioner because there were only a couple days that it would get very hot. But I guess any amount of stop and go traffic on our bikes will get 'em hot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Actually my last VN700 had a tendancy to run on the warm side when it was above 75 degrees out. Especially in town and in slower traffic. Once it was up to 45-50 mph for a short distance it was ok and temp would come down to normal. Our fans seem too small for the job when sitting in traffic or in town driving. I just saw a fan w/ like six blades on it. I'll have to look into one of those also. But a larger fan is really what it needs.

·
Registered
553 Posts
And before that there was Amsoil, the 1st.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've heard the name before - on here. Other than that, I've never heard of amsoil

Yep, sure enough, amsoil.com 1972.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts