Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As an experiment, I refilled a old wet cell M/C battery with hydrogen peroxide - it had severe sulfation on the lead cells - to see if the extra hydrogen atom would restore some power and use to the battery in some of my other bikes.

The battery would not charge above 5.5v when I first tested it. I filled each cell with H2O2, let it set for a few hours, put it on a slow charge, and within an hour it was up to 12.5 volts!

The charger was getting a bit warm so I unplugged it overnight and will continue to charge tomorrow and post more info for any that are interested.

BTW, a real nasty smoke came up from the water fill holes when I first poured in the H2O2.

DT

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you want to clean the sulfation off of a wet cell batteries Plates ,you can empty the acid out and refill it with a solution of baking soda and waterand let it soak for a while and then drain it and rinse it thouroghlyand i do mean thoroughly with water.there should be all kinds of nasty junk come out of the battery cells let it air dry out ,then refill with new battery acid and slowly charge it.Usually the problem is the lead sloughs off of the plates during charging and discharging and will gather in the bottom of the case and can build up to the point of shorting the cell and if it is bad enough there is little one can do except sell it to the recycler,But sometimes it works,As for the hydrogen peroxide I have never heard of that. The hydrogen in a battery is produced when the battery is charged and the bubbles you see are the hydrogen escaping the electrolyte as the acid is electrically driven back out of the lead plates that was soaked up during the discharge cycle and chemically producing a voltage between dissimilar plates.That is why you test the specific gravity of a battery when it is fully charged because when it is discharge it will be closer to the same SG as water because the acid will be soaked into the lead plates.Let us know how this works .I'm curious. :carryflag

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Battery acid is sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and when combined with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) forms a strong chemical cleaner known commercially as Piranha Clean. It's used to clean laboratory glassware, and to remove sulfuric acid stains from hard surfaces. It's extremely dangerous to your skin and eyes and the fumes can seriously hurt your respiratory system. It might actually work pretty well at cleaning off sulfated lead cells. But I myself would much rather buy a new battery than work with such a potentially dangerous substance and have to deal with the disposing and rinsing of this stuff from the battery.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was bored. I keep peroxide in the garage to clean out wounds, saw the old battery, and decided to do the experiment.

When I noticed the smoke, I moved the batt outside and did a nose rinse just to be safe.

DT

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Hospital grade hydrogen peroxide is very diluted with water...something along the order of .2% H202, 98% H2O Industrial grade would probably be hard to find and very explosive.
Baking soda would have similar properties. I would think that the danger of a minor liquid explosion would be that of splashing incomletely diluted acids outside the battery.

Flushing an inverted battery with distilled water would have some good effect. It would remove loose scale, but not scale attached to the plates. Loose scale can pile up beneath the plates and eventually reach them, causing a short circuit.

As an experiment, it sounds interesting but a little dangerous. You would need a way to immediately stop the reaction when heat built up. As an economy, I would think that a battery that far gone would not last much longer, but I am guessing, here.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the quick charge held overnight so I'm going to go ahead a give it a full charge using a trickle charger - maintainer. I'll post again in a few days. Battery should work in some of my vintage bikes that don't have electric start but need a battery to run the bike.

DT

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: It's holding a charge and has good amperage. H2O2 revived this old battery!

DT

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thats why they have you refill the battery with destilled H20 to restore the electrolites. I have a battery that I have done this for 7 years. Have to give it a good charge each spring from winter storage but all in all it works. I have a new MF in my 01' though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts