Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fine.

Going round a curve in the road just after filling up for tomorrow's ride into work and I hit some gravel and lost control. If my surprise at hitting the gravel were not so great I could have possibly pulled it out by giving the right grip a good push, leaning me back into the direction of the road. (hind sight is 20/20) That's not what happened and I ended up in the ditch at a pretty good clip. My baby is now damaged where before it was not. I feel foolish, angry and inferior.

Windscreen was snapped off at the base - had to leave it there; Tach took a hit and got a nice scratch but I managed to bend it back into position. gas tank dented - size of a half dollar in the front top - no creasing. Headlight / turn signal assembly pushed back and to the right but I think that's straightened out again too. Brand new jeans ripped - nice gash in my leg. But everything seems to work, both on the bike and on me.

Guy in a pickup stopped to help me out, to lift her up and get her out of the ditch. Lucky for me - it would have been a lot harder without him. I got her started up, told her how sorry I was and we headed home following the path I had originally chosen in the first place.

I thought on the way to ****-can this whole cycle idea, that spending another dime on it would be a waste of money, that the ride to work in the morning would be by car and all my riding plans for this weekend and next week would be canceled. But after I got everything cleaned up and bent back into shape, the noticeable tank dent not withstanding, I began to soften. I think I'll not quit and I will ride in tomorrow morning as originally planned. After that we'll see.

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Glad to hear that nothing more than your pride is hurt.

Don't know if I'd get back in the saddle that fast.

Fix your baby up. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Glad that you're OK and the bike too. I know the feeling. You feel stupid and inadequate but in reality it was nothing more than an accident because **** happens. Hope you and the bike get healed up soon.

Wish I could remember the name of the product but I can't. It is made for pulling out small dents and I read recently that it works well. Maybe you can do a little research and find it to pull out that little dent in the tank. As long as there are no creases it should work well.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey MSH --

I feel your pain Dude, both physical and emotional. Many of us on this forum have been there. The most important thing is that you are not seriously hurt!
The bike (even the tank dent) can be fixed.

Crashing can be a scary and personally traumatic experience. It sounds like you're handling better than most.

My thoughts are with you for a complete recovery, emotional, physical, and scoot wise.

Are there any "take-aways" or lessons learned for the benefit of fellow riders?

Thanx for sharing your experience with us!

I'm fine.

Going round a curve in the road just after filling up for tomorrow's ride into work and I hit some gravel and lost control. If my surprise at hitting the gravel were not so great I could have possibly pulled it out by giving the right grip a good push, leaning me back into the direction of the road. (hind sight is 20/20) That's not what happened and I ended up in the ditch at a pretty good clip. My baby is now damaged where before it was not. I feel foolish, angry and inferior.

Windscreen was snapped off at the base - had to leave it there; Tach took a hit and got a nice scratch but I managed to bend it back into position. gas tank dented - size of a half dollar in the front top - no creasing. Headlight / turn signal assembly pushed back and to the right but I think that's straightened out again too. Brand new jeans ripped - nice gash in my leg. But everything seems to work, both on the bike and on me.

Guy in a pickup stopped to help me out, to lift her up and get her out of the ditch. Lucky for me - it would have been a lot harder without him. I got her started up, told her how sorry I was and we headed home following the path I had originally chosen in the first place.

I thought on the way to ****-can this whole cycle idea, that spending another dime on it would be a waste of money, that the ride to work in the morning would be by car and all my riding plans for this weekend and next week would be canceled. But after I got everything cleaned up and bent back into shape, the noticeable tank dent not withstanding, I began to soften. I think I'll not quit and I will ride in tomorrow morning as originally planned. After that we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Dent puller:
http://tinyurl.com/crvc4t

Sucks dude. Good part is your still breathing and sounds like the bike took the worst of it. You might want to wait till you get up tommorow before deciding on riding.

Gravel on the road is one thing you can't have control over, so don't sweat it.

KM

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,750 Posts
I'm very glad that for the most part you are ok.
gravel put me and my vn750 down at the end of last years season. the first turn of a very long run and with about 50 plus bikes behide me, talk about feeling foolish!
so yeah, it happens! like the saying goes "there are 2 kinds of riders. ones that have gone down and ones that are going to go down". sooner or later we all go down!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
glad to hear your ok, and im sure you can get the bike back in shape. they always say if you fall off the horse get back on. but then I haven't been down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet! they say there are two kinds of riders, ones that have been down, and the ones that will. has to be a learning experience. was it after a lot of rain. I'm always extra careful after hard rains because of driveway washouts and limbs down and such.
hope your on the road soon but make sure your bike is in good shape again first, I would do a double safety check!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Just want to chime in here and say that I too am glad you're ok. Don't let a gravel slide make you feel foolish or inferior, as you said. Angry yes, but the other feelings - no. Actually this has served to make you a better rider for the experience. That's what it did for me when I took a fall over a parking curb (it came out of nowhere)!

KM, you're awesome dude. That tinyURL for the dent puller is just what msh1156 needs to fix his tank dent by himself and feel good about his ride again. While everyone else offers only sympathy (which is great), you give constructive help that gets right to the root of the matter.

·
D2u
175 Posts
Glad to hear your ok,and the bike didnt get hurt to bad.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Even a minor crash is traumatic. Very glad to hear you are (mostly) ok.

Dr. EQPlayer prescribes a few hundred miles of ultra twisty roads, to forget the drop. There's no better therapy than a long twisty ride.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. I read here somewhere that any crash you can walk away from is a good ride. Any crash where you can ride the motorcycle again is a great ride! The gash in your leg may be a reminder from your guardian angel <S> to get some armored riding pants. Can you salvage the windshield, if you get it home? I`m glad to hear you got right back in the saddle. Ride to live and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
hate to hear it msh,we have all been there or will be ,don't worry you have already got back on the horse that threw you when you road it home,and the other posters are right, the Amazing Ding King Really does work,A buddy of mine bought three at once after his pickup was hail damaged,it took three of us taking turns there was so many dents on the cab roof and you had to look twice to tell it had been damaged when we were done.You can fix the bike, your cut will heal and your pride will suffer,but that's alright ,because it usually has us looking foolish any way,So chin up and heal up"we're pulling for you" to quote Red Green,Denny

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Glad your OK. Gravel can susprise you any time it is one of the things you can't always predict. Be glad both of you were only hurt cosmetically.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok, the bike is repairable, you have lots of support here. I had my close call a couple months ago and that intersection still scares me to death. But I love riding too much to give it up. I've totalled 2 cars in my life time, both the fault of someone else, and I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles since and didn't think a think of it. Stay in the saddle - you'll feel better for it in the long run and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Dude that totally blows, glad to hear it turned out as good as it did. Don't lose your nerve. Cuz ya know you move the letters around and nerve turns into never. (cheesy huh?) But seriously now you got your first crash out of the way, hopefully it will be a long time before you let you guard down. Every morning I get on the bike to ride into work, I expect that it will be the day I go down. So I look at everything to be that reason to put me down. Cuz more then anything, I worry more about my bike then myself.
I am glad to hear you are okay.

·
Registered
363 Posts
glad to hear you are ok, sucks about your bike. when i crached my bike it was on the way to work , caught the forman on his way , we put it in the back of his pick up and i went to work. i was only going about 40mph and an accadent happened in front of me . i hii the binders and it hi-sided on me, bounced from one side to the other with me on it .bike took most of the damage, twisted my ankle, scraped my knee. bike was trashed. took me ten years to get another one . (not my choice)

the saying is that there are two types of bike riders, the ones that have went down and those that are going to go down . hopefully this one is it for you . at least you came out of it ok and able to ride it away . get back in the saddle , dont put off your plans if the bike is ok to ride.if it looks rough but is safe to ride ,go for it .
like some have said " **** happens" if you step int it , wipe it off , dont throw away your shoe.

·
Registered
721 Posts
you went down...but the main thing it you GOT BACK in the saddle...
Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you are alright and the bike RUNS! could be MUCH Worse... safe riding!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gotta *love* gravel in curves. I have one of those on my way to work. I don't know how it gets there, but it seems like there's a never-ending supply of it. I also love the highway departments that put manholes (and their associated metal, slick as puppy crap when wet) covers in the middle of curves, but that's a topic for another post.

Glad you're (mostly) OK.

--FA

1 - 20 of 23 Posts