Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
granted, my fault for lettin her sit for almost a year without riding. i know, its a shame!

anyhow, i go to fire her up. ive charged the battery, it reads good.

turn the key, push the go button, and a click.

thats all i can get out of her is a click.

batts good, even jumpered up to the truck - just a click.

starter solenoid? i can bypass that with cables and get her to turn over so im assuming thats the prob. just lookin for some affirmation ... and maybe some parts diagrams. ;)

also, any idea what i can use short of getting an actual VN750 solenoid? its bound to be a pain in the ass around here. will any solenoid work? shes a 1993 vulcan 750 by the way.

thanks!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If you jump the solonoid and she starts then I would guess that is the problem.
I would keep a Eye out on EBay.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i figured. unfortunetly she turns over when i jump it... but doesnt start.

i feel like im beginning a journey. ;)

thanks!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Try some starting fluid

I put up my bikes - for the most part - of December, January, and some of February if it's still wintery. To ease the load on the starter motor, I spray a small amount of starting fluid on the air cleaners to fire it up once or twice a month. My bikes hibernate winter in a unheated metal garage.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
If you bike still refuses to start, try diconnecting the fuel lines from the petcock to the tank and dribbling some fuel into them and then reconnecting them. I know when mine has sat for awhile, it takes awhile for the carbs to fill with fuel. and this helps so I don't have to crank forever waiting for the carbs to fill with fuel.
The solenoid can be ordered from several sources if Ebay comes up dry.
Ron Ayers lists it at about $68 bucks plus shipping. See http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0214/starter_motor/starter_motor.cfm?man=ka&groupid=10900&parent=10700 It's part # 27010.
BikeBandit is another source but they want $83. There may be other sources out there like motorcycle junk yards that will have it cheaper.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Maybe asolenoid off of a riding mower will work. They are 12 volt systems, don't know what amps they need to be to work on the bike. They use the same battery too. Just a thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. solenoid of the mower is a no go. only one contact (vulcan has 2 flat contacts)

anyhow, i still get the click both in the solenoid and the little box under it labelled 12 volt backup lighting or something to that effect.

more importantly though. I have no spark, even when i jumpwire the starter from my truck.

pulling a plug and touching it to the block should get it to spark when i crank the motor correct? i had no idea the vulcan had 4 plugs for 2 cyl. checked them all. none of them have spark. hell, i even replaced the plug and wire on one - still no spark when i crank her over.

ideas?

·
Registered
321 Posts
clean and check all the electrical contacts from the battery to starter and on the ignition coils, and make sure all the grounds are clean and secure.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
It's also possible that the IC ignitor is bad as well. This is like the distributor cap on older car engines. It controls the spark and advance. There is a test for it in the Clymer's manual or I can post it here if you don't access to one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts