Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

welding on bike

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
While doing some work to sons bike, we need to cut off an old tab off his crash bar build a new one and reweld it in a different location for a cleaner look, we disconnected the negative cable, but after reviewing the wiring diagram fear we did fry the cdi module, started fine when we parked it, now it wont start, we got it to fire and run for a few seconds then dies, sounded like it might have been running off 1 cyl, anyone else experience any issues welding on a bike, Wish I would of unplugged the cdi like I first though now.

#2 ·
While not the mot knowledgeable person on this site with the electronics I do know welding on a car will often burn the CDI. Don't see why it would be any different on your bike. It's possible you got your coils too.

#3 · (Edited)
Unknown - Sorry, No help here....

I once had Welding done on a Class B (-6 wheel) truck lift gate...I disconnected both battery terminals -Pos & Neg. (completely isolated electronics - how much does a Diesel have ? with a batter powered boombox for a radio...LOL) -had no issues.

:smiley_th

#5 ·
Yup. I learnt the hard way about welding on a bike.
Should have disconnected all electronics to be safe.
Only takes a second to disconnect the junction box, battery & such.

#9 ·
Guess I got lucky by taking the tach bracket to the vise for welding.

I've had pros tell me both ways, disconnect the battery, and it doesn't matter. One old sage did say that if your welding ground lead shares ground with a component, it can get fried.

My welder is Korean War surplus, maybe WWII, so I don't take chances.

#11 ·
Whenever I do welding on mine, I unhook both battery terminals, then pull the plugs to the R/R and CDI....

I touched up my pipes once w/o doing any of it, and interesting, but my R/R went right after.....never connected the 2 until now....thanks...

This is my first bike with fancy electronics, so I really aint sure....

Were ya using stick or a lower voltage mig ?....I used a lower setting flux core, and was fine....mebbe its the amount of power used that actually does it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.