Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I bought my bike from told me that the driveshaft had been welded a few years ago. So, I decided to do the spline shaft lube and check out the weld. What I found scares me. The coupler on the spline shaft side broke, probably due to no lube, so insted of replacing it, they welded it back together, and then welded it to the spline shaft on the final drive. Now the coupler slides on the drive shaft (which had no grease on it, but the teeth look good). Ya think this will be O.K.? I'm thinking I should just find a good final drive and replacement driveshaft, otherwise I'll always be thinking about it!:(
Sorry...didn't take any pics.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ya I'd be scared too.

I found a good rear drive and drive shaft on Ebay for 200 plus shipping. The coupler wasn't too good so I bought a new one from Cheap Motorcycle Parts. It was all worth it and very easy to change out.

FYI....My splines were worn and blew out on me out on the highway. No fun. Now I ride with confidence.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If you have no noise in the final drive, stick with it. Get a new coupler and spline shaft for the final drive. Remember there is a spring you need in the coupler, that is if it is missing. There is also a sping clip that holds the coupler to the drive shaft. Spline shafts are sometimes found on the Ebay sight, the final drives can cost some big bucks if you can find one.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
I've got a driveshaft and coupler for sale if you need one. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have no noise in the final drive, stick with it. Get a new coupler and spline shaft for the final drive. Remember there is a spring you need in the coupler, that is if it is missing. There is also a sping clip that holds the coupler to the drive shaft. Spline shafts are sometimes found on the Ebay sight, the final drives can cost some big bucks if you can find one.
How do I replace the spline shaft? Everything else on the final drive is perfect, so I guess it would be a waste to buy the whole thing.
The spring is there, but the spring clip is gone.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
I don't believe the final drive unit can be rebuilt. They welded the coupler to it, not the driveshaft, correct? Any chance of cutting/grinding it off? But that may not do you any good if the splines on the final drive are bad.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Getting inside the final drive to service or repair it requires special Kaw tools according to the Clymer manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe the final drive unit can be rebuilt. They welded the coupler to it, not the driveshaft, correct? Any chance of cutting/grinding it off? But that may not do you any good if the splines on the final drive are bad.
Yep. Welded to the final drive. The splines are most likley bad, so grinding it off wouldn't help much. Although, whoever did the welding was a pro at it. There's no way that weld will ever break.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Wow! Talk about a redneck repair. Anyway, you need to find a replacement final drive and take up the offer on the drive shaft and coupler here. The final drive would take someone at the KAW factory to refurbish and would cost you more than you can buy a new one for probably, if it were even possible to get someone to work on it. Not really an option. Keep an eye out for ebay final drives, and insist that they shoot and send you photos of the splines so you don't end up buying one that's in poor shape. I wouldn't ride the bike at all until you get this replaced. The damage that could be done to the other end would be much more costly than a replacement final drive. That end is not designed to slide in and out and is going to heat up with that added movement and cause you real trouble in time.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why they welded it to the final drive? I could see the shaft it's self as that's where it's supposed to be. This is just a set up for disaster.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why they welded it to the final drive? I could see the shaft it's self as that's where it's supposed to be. This is just a set up for disaster.
The splines were stripped, so they welded them up and used the drive shaft spline as the slip joint. Desprate situation required a desperate fix. Kind of like bailing wure and duck tape kind of fix.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The splines were stripped, so they welded them up and used the drive shaft spline as the slip joint. Desprate situation required a desperate fix. Kind of like bailing wure and duck tape kind of fix.
Yup. That pretty much sums it up. Even with this problem, I'm still happy I bought the bike. I only paid $1000.00 for it, and it's super clean...not a scratch or spot of rust on it, and runs fantastic! Just gonna ride in town and stay off the highways until I find a different final drive.:smiley_th

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If your drive shaft splines are still snug on the new coupler, you may be able to use the drive shaft. I think it is a pain to remove the drive shaft.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
I had to replace my final drive last year, got lucky and found one on here, CHEAP. Just the gears to rebuild the drive are $900. A new unit from the factory is over $1,100.
There are salvage yards that have them, you just have to do some searching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts