Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,830 Posts
Some things will stick due to expansion only after getting hot. You could see the same sticking in the rack and pinion inside the bevel gear case.

You can remove the round clutch cover and watch the clutch pack as you pull the lever. But if you need to go deeper you might have to pull the larger cover.

Check eBay for the gasket? They're usually better priced. Minor tears and clean breaks in the gasket can be sealed with sealer, but don't overdo it.

There's also the long pushrod that crosses from the bevel gear case to the clutch pack. But I would rule out other causes before going that deep. If the engine looks clean inside, the pushrod sticking is less likely.

Does pulling the lever feel normal when it's sticking, or does it feel notchy?

· Registered
10,830 Posts
Wow. That actually looks like those notches were machined in there. I'm expecting (hoping) mine to be smooth, because of how smooth the clutch works, and has been working for over a year. If not the job is going to get a lot more expensive. That part is $420, and if it's bad, the hub is probably bad too, and it's $125. Plus all the plates, springs, gaskets, etc. I doubt the bike is worth it. I'm beginning to notice that quite a few parts for this bike are NLA.
That's why I always say that eBay is usually the best place to look for parts. The basket starts around $25, or $100 for everything in the clutch department.

There should be new clutch plates and steels there too.

The notches look machined because that's essentially what happens. Steel wearing on aluminum in a confined movement.

· Registered
10,830 Posts
It's definitely weird, I'm having trouble coming up with a problem that would happen this way. It hasn't been sitting around, it's had the same oil, and this just began. But it works ok when it's cold, right?

About the only other thing is possibly the rack and pinion is sticking after it warms up.

· Registered
10,830 Posts
If you can get the center nut off the basket, you should be able to pull the pushrod out that side and see if it shows signs of sticking, clean it up if there's varnish built up.

It's just a straight rod, so should come out either side.

With an impact gun, you can hold the basket with a gloved hand to spin the nut off.

Another method to hold the basket without buying the tool... A penny between the gear teeth, or just stuff a rag in the gears. Totally harmless.

· Registered
10,830 Posts
Still weird.

Looked around and found some info about Emgo clutch discs being thicker, so much that leaving a steel plate out was recommended.

If thicker parts were installed, it should have been sticking immediately when assembled, and most likely forever after.

I can think of no earthly way for those discs to grow in thickness. There wasn't a ridge built up on the inner and outer edges and you measured the top of the ridges? Or they're warped?

Aliens?

They're supposed to soak up oil, I always soak them a while before installing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts