Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have any idea what would make the bike want to turn / dive to first one side and then the other?

It turns to one side, I correct; it tries to turn to the other way, I correct. This is constant at city speeds, not so noticeable on the highway.

The net result is I go weaving down the road. The turns are slight, but most annoying.

I have checked steering head tightness and replaced the front shock oil to make sure same amount.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Are your tires air up good?? Also are the fork bearing free and well lubed that they do not feel like they are tight and a bit hard to turn???

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Are you familiar with the "Counter Steering" effect with a bike?
If you push on the left bar, the bike will go left, push on the right bar, the bike will go right.
It seems opposite of what it would do, but that's how it works at speeds above, I believe about 18 mph.

It could also be the wheels out of alignment, but with not having any adjustment for this on a shaft drive, I'm not sure that would be the reason.
Is your front tire inline with the handlebars? (is the wheel straight when the bars are straight)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a bent wheel? This is what it feels like when my bicycle tire got wonked thanks to a tree. If not that then i'd second the guess on air pressure.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I second the 'air pressure in tires' as the first place to look. Rear shocks next, all nuts and bolts to do with the wheels, forks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Air pressure is 33 on Bridgestone Spitfire 11 s.

Yes, I am familiar with countersteering. I am 58 and riding since I was 16. How I got really familiar with it, was when I was about 22 and on a cross-country trip with girlfriend, decided to let her drive a while. She was not familiar with countersteering and damn near ran us into a pole. Having ridden a bicycle in my early youth, I had never thought anything about steering. The pole put me to thinking about that trying to understand how she could not do something that seemed perfectly natural and no other way to do it. Since then when teaching, I was always start them on bicycles and point that out. The bike feels exactly like it does when you are riding on big-groove pavement.

I will check the tire and wheel in the AM. Stearing head seems normal and everything seems aligned, but I will check again in the AM, and all nuts and bolts.

I could not see any way to adjust the alignment, and the bike shows no signs of a fall, no scrapes anywhere.

Rear shocks? What should I be looking for there?

Many Thanks for the suggestions!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
My only other suggestion, if it's nothing mentioned already, would be to check the wheel bearings and the swingarm bearings.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The rear shocks you would check the dampening to make sure they are set the same and check to make sure they are pressurized the same (if you added pressure to them).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts