Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up this morning to the news that a friend died last night when his goldwing trike went off the road and crashed into a tree.

This friend was a retired Navy Vet and was known to us all and the whole town as "Santa"...he was a big guy, white beard, jolly and everyone loved him.

Here he is with his wife, Mrs. Claus on their trike, also known as Santa's Summer Sleigh

And here he is doing his santa gig he loved doing!

He was a diehard bike, a great guy, loved kids, loved everyone..he couldnt go thru town without someone yelling "Hey Santa".
Last year he gave a WW2 vet a ride on his trike down mainstreet for the Memorial day and 4th of July parades!

His mottos were:

Get busy making memories.

Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
It looks like we all can learn something from his outlook on life. RIP

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes his outlook and love for life was the glue that bonded our chapter together!

Here he is with my wife at one of our rallies..

He always said he loved being santa cuz all the ladies loved sitting on his lap...and he knew which ones were nice and which ones were "naughty"...lol.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss may he rest I'm peace:motorcycl

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I doubt that the memories will ever fade and that is a real man as can be seen in his eyes as he is holding the little one. Sorry I did not get a chance to meet the particular man but long may his good continue on in others. The big man left some big shoes to be filled.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Just got word his 18 year old son that graduates next week is at the crash site right now.
pray for him and his family...its gonna be hard on them.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Prayers and positive energy sent,brother

Reactions: LibertyPilot

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Bless his big ol' heart. Rest in peace, kind soul. You live on in the good you've made in others. To the ones left behind: don't be sad it's over, be happy that he happened. :) Brothers: pegs down but chins up, ok?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Sorry to hear of his passing, condolences and prayers to his family and friends.

I remember him from a past post you made and thought to myself that this is the kind of biker people need to know...a big teddy bear type with a kind soul...the kind of man who makes us all proud to have as a fellow "biker".

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah he was a great guy.
The funeral wake or invitation is Thursday evening and the funeral is Friday at 3pm. We are gonna try to get 1,000 bikes in the recession..
He was well known and loved...im sure we can come close to 1,000!
I will post up pics when i can.

Another great pic..they werent riding..he never gave kids a ride without them having a helmet.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Sucks when you lose a fellow biker freind to a motorcycle accident. Especially a guy God shouldn't have taken yet. I unfortunately have lost two like this... My buddy Bob and Keith... who we just called "Mother"....

So to Bob, Keith..... and your friend Santa, pegs down and glasses up...Rest in piece.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys...heres his obituary in the paper.

http://www.echopress.com/content/howard-ogaard-59

Also everyone is prety sure he had a medical condition that caused the crash...he was diabetic and not feeling well when he left...so either he blacked out or had a heart attack/stroke.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Thanks guys...heres his obituary in the paper.

http://www.echopress.com/content/howard-ogaard-59

Also everyone is prety sure he had a medical condition that caused the crash...he was diabetic and not feeling well when he left...so either he blacked out or had a heart attack/stroke.
Understanding diabetic....makes sense..... easy to go under.
EDIT: If your "BG" (Blood Glucose) goes down to low...you will black out/become unconscious.
Gotta eat regularly....inject regularly. Not as simple as it sounds.

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I think I mightta met him once....mebbe around SF or Big Sur back when...

Will pray and send im to to big road in the sky tonight....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts