Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to set preload on pinion bearings. Have to measure 10 - 20 in-lbs.

Is there a good redneck method of doing this without spending +$100 on a in-lb torque wrench?

Thanks!

Jon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
12 in-lbs = 1 ft-lb
so for 10 in-lbs you'd need .833 ft-lbs
for 20 in=lbs you'd need 1.667 ft-lbs

Might be better served to find a cheap in-lb wrench online (Harbor Freight)

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Usually bearing load is critical to their durabilty. A torque wrench is in your future. Often someone near you will have one you can borrow, but eventually it is worth the cost in the long run. Sometimes you can get a good deal on E bay.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Need to set preload on pinion bearings. Have to measure 10 - 20 in-lbs.

Is there a good redneck method of doing this without spending +$100 on a in-lb torque wrench?

Thanks!

Jon
If a wrench is 1 foot long and you apply 1 pound of force on the end of the wrench, you have 1 foot lb of torque or 12 inch lbs.
That's about as redneck as you can get it. :beerchug:

Like Hyper says...go to Harbor Freight...$15

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
If a wrench is 1 foot long and you apply 1 pound of force on the end of the wrench, you have 1 foot lb of torque or 12 inch lbs.
That's about as redneck as you can get it. :beerchug:

Like Hyper says...go to Harbor Freight...$15
As above, or you could use a fish scale to pull with... But if I could get one for $15 thats what I would do...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I got my 1/4" drive torque wrench several years ago for ~$20-30. Good for ~ 150-200 inch/lb IIRC. No need to spend $100.
edit: 20 in/lb to maximum of 150 or 200 in/lb.

X2 to suggestion to get an economical torque wrench from HF.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Most times you can "borrow" one from an auto parts store like O'Reily's or Autozone. You put down a deposit and then get your $ back when you return the tool. This works for a lot of specialty tools as well.

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
Most times you can "borrow" one from an auto parts store like O'Reily's or Autozone. You put down a deposit and then get your $ back when you return the tool. This works for a lot of specialty tools as well.
thats what we usualy do when we need a tool that we arent gonna use more than a couple of times a year

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12 in-lbs = 1 ft-lb
so for 10 in-lbs you'd need .833 ft-lbs
for 20 in=lbs you'd need 1.667 ft-lbs

Might be better served to find a cheap in-lb wrench online (Harbor Freight)
All of the HF wrenches start at 20 in-lbs, I need 10 - 15 :(

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my 1/4" drive torque wrench several years ago for ~$20-30. Good for ~ 150-200 inch/lb IIRC. No need to spend $100.

X2 to suggestion to get an economical torque wrench from HF.
Problem is I need to use 10 - 15 in-lbs of range.

Jon

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Problem is I need to use 10 - 15 in-lbs of range.Jon
I guess I got ripped, but I bought a brand name 5-50 in. lb. torque wrench to do gun work several years ago and gave $150 for it, I remember OUCH...:(...
Also I had to buy one later in the higher range for cycle work and got an off brand (to me) 20-200 in. lb., like OHC did, at about the price of $30...:smiley_th...
Is it like, if they leave the salt out they charge more...???...:doh:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
to set bearing preload you need the dial or needle type torque wrench. being that preload is critical for bearing life spend the money on a good wrench. How much will multiple bearing replacement and the time to do it cost in the long run if not done properly. Besides since you ride with no insurance take the money you are saving there and spend it on the proper tool for the job.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to set bearing preload you need the dial or needle type torque wrench. being that preload is critical for bearing life spend the money on a good wrench. How much will multiple bearing replacement and the time to do it cost in the long run if not done properly. Besides since you ride with no insurance take the money you are saving there and spend it on the proper tool for the job.
Wow, that really struck a chord with you didn't it?

It's for a friends car so it's his money to spend (or not). Just trying to help out.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know if AutoZone has such a precision tool, but I've borrowed tools from them many times in the past. It's worth checking around.
Fergy I am going to call Autozone, NAPA, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. tonight and see what they have.

Thanks,

Jon

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
There was a lot porter killed in a car accident here because a tech had him looking for a noise which was pinion bearings that he guessed at the preload and while driving for the noise the rear diff locked up spun the car and hit a telephone pole.
as far as the insurance goes I was hit by an illegal alien whi had no license or insurance stolen tags and the police let him go. I personally carry 500k liability on the bike and 500k umbrella on myself for 1m total. so yes insurance is a huge chord for me

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There was a lot porter killed in a car accident here because a tech had him looking for a noise which was pinion bearings that he guessed at the preload and while driving for the noise the rear diff locked up spun the car and hit a telephone pole.
as far as the insurance goes I was hit by an illegal alien whi had no license or insurance stolen tags and the police let him go. I personally carry 500k liability on the bike and 500k umbrella on myself for 1m total. so yes insurance is a huge chord for me
Yes, pinion pre-load is crucial. Too loose and you get noise and eventual failure, too tight and you get very early failure.

I am about to get all of our insurances looked at on my renewal, I will add the bike to the package.

Jon

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
...I was hit by an illegal alien whi had no license or insurance stolen tags and the police let him go...
If they locked up all the criminals and illegals, who would vote for the Democrats?!? :p

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
If they locked up all the criminals and illegals, who would vote for the Democrats?!? :p
2 things I have learned never to discuss politics and religion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts