Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i red somewhere, cant remember where...maybe on here about this. you cant use rain-x on your windshield, as i am sure someone has tried before on here.

here's what i did, washed it using turtle wax ultimate(has some wax in it) then rinsed it off and dried using a soft cloth. then i put on the wax which was turtle wax super hard shell (i guess any wax works as long as it isnt petroleuom based). just put it on very thing and do 2 coats if needed so the wax goes on uniformly. after letting dry to a haze, i used a yellow polish cloth to buff (circular motion) it back to a shine. then once the all the wax polish was off i flipped the rag, fogged it up with breath (works best at a small area at a time) and buffed some more(vertical this time to cut glare) b/c the wax left a slight residue. hold against a light to check for glare, if still present buff some more. also did my visors and my helmet.

result, havent tried in the rain at 70mph, but the shower test worked great. the water beaded right up like it should so it should work great. the extra coat of wax hopefully should give an extra minor protection on scratches.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
gotta do it

WOW!!! got to test this the other night...... I highly recomend..
water was no problem on my visor, and the rain just ran right off the shield even at <50mph. Even from being behind a truck, i had no problems. the mist quickly pooled into larger droplets, and ran off. and when you get some wind on it (open road you know what i am talking bout), its almost like its not even raining.

the other perk. very little water spoting afterwards. i will end up using this wax on the rest of the bike :p

any questions on this just ask. i cant speak for other waxes, the one i used works though

·
Super Moderator
12,093 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using car wax on your windshield...But do note that shields with tints have been known to have the tint "polish" off..(Makes me wonder why the tint is applied to the outside of a shield, but it seems some are..)
And , you should NOT use "circular motions" to buff off the wax. You should only rub up and down. The reason here is horizontal scratches will become several times more noticable than vertical ones. Part of this is do to the curve of most shields. You may not notice them until you ride at night.
Any car wax that contains no abrasives should work fine. I use Meguiars Crystal. Also note that shields are made from several diffrent types of plastic, and may react diffrently to some chemicals. It is Always a good idea to test a small section first. Make sure the shield is clean, (water and dishsoap work great) and apply and remove wax with up and down strokes,not back and forth across the shield.

KM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts