Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange I didn't see any of my usual riding buddies today. Is single digits too cold to ride in? Ca'mon 7 degrees or 30 what's the :rockon:?

I was trying to find out what the wind chill was this morning 7F at 70mph, anyone know?

I will admit my finger and thumb were kinda numb this morning when I got into the office...Maybe those electric gloves would be a good investment...

One thing that saved me and will make me ride tomorrow is my new jacket: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=190065172081&rd=1,1:motorcycl

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Yes you were, LOL
I won't go out in this weather, Its -5 right now in Chicago.:wow:

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Ehhhhhh.. yeap.. I think you were the only one.. least wise up in that area *L*

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
How do you even get the bike to start. You must have a well heated garage.
Here in Calif it was about 60 today, tuck a little ride to try out my new floor boards I made and see if they had to be adjusted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you even get the bike to start. You must have a well heated garage.
lol. I use the technique outlined in the Vulcan Verses, set the choke on to the point that does not raise the rpm, mine is right at the painted arrow. She fires right up. I must admit, i could not start the bike on the way home and had to get a jump start from a car. I always carry jumper cables and a ratchet to remove the seat.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I always carry jumper cables and a ratchet to remove the seat.
I rigged up a set of cables to work with my Battery Tender cord.
No more having to remove the seat to hook up to the battery !!!

I also made a cig lighter hook up so that I can use my car charger to charge my cellphone while on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I rigged the tender connections as well. I keep a cig lighter connection pigtail and a tiny compressor in my saddlebag for emergencies. Hadn't thought of charging my cell phone, but I always carry the elect. charger in my luggage for night time charging. I was able to help out a brother on a harley that picked up a screw in a back tire with my compressor so he could get on to a shop for a tire. He hadn't heard of Ride-On. Haven't had to use the compressor for my own use so far.

I have to hand it to you for riding in 7 degree weather! Good leather makes all the difference. I'll bet your legs were stinging!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rigged the tender connections as well. I keep a cig lighter connection pigtail and a tiny compressor in my saddlebag for emergencies.

I have to hand it to you for riding in 7 degree weather! Good leather makes all the difference. I'll bet your legs were stinging!
I'll have to rig up that charger connection, is there any place that sells jumper cables that go into the tender connection? I like the idea of a cigar lighter, I can never find my matches...I keep the cell phone off the whole time so i don't waste the battery, who wants the wife to call!

For my legs I wear propeline long johns (by Patagonia) I got for snowboarding, they completely block the wind that makes it through the jeans and they are not too hot to keep on all day at the office.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'll have to rig up that charger connection, is there any place that sells jumper cables that go into the tender connection?
Battery Tender.com has alligator clips, but only comes with a 2 ft length of wire.

I just made my own with parts I got from Radio Shack.
The two pin connector (got two of them, the other for the cig lighter hook-up), a couple alligator clips, and some wire that I had sitting around.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
you may also wanna invest in a MF battery if you havent. This should solve your cold start issue...i wonder if there is a way to rig up an engine heater for those temps lol.....I know my 30 AH battery wouldnt have any issues starting in that cold.... but yet i would be worried about tolerances at those temps....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Battery

Hi Hizzo.............Just wondering how you got a 350 ah battery into a spot that won't hardly handle the std one? I see that you made a custom box, but did you degoat & find a taller battery? I want to install the highest CCA battery that I can get in it. ???????????

Thanks Tcat

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
My Battery Tender came with a cord for charging without having to remove the seat. I went to install it on my Yuasa MF but found the additional thickness of the eye terminals would not let the terminal bolt grab a thread. I'll have to get a slightly longer bolt. Of course, I was in a hurry and put things back together without measuring the original bolt. It's a 10mm but I'm not sure about the stock length or how metric thread pitch is specified as opposed to U.S. (e.g. 10-32). You know, on second thought, instead of bugging you guys about it, I should just get off my lazy ass, pull the seat, take out the bolt and cage it over to Home Depot.:loser1:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I went to install it on my Yuasa MF but found the additional thickness of the eye terminals would not let the terminal bolt grab a thread.
What some people have done is to put a little bit of paper under the nut to hold it up a bit, then there's little trouble getting the bolt to thread on to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What some people have done is to put a little bit of paper under the nut to hold it up a bit, then there's little trouble getting the bolt to thread on to it.
Just cut a couple of one inch pieces off your old battery's over flow tube and stick under the nut's and save what is left over on tube for future batterys.

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Thanks. I went back and took a look. Got a toothpick and stuck it under the thread block(nut) which held it up high enough to catch the bolt threads.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
frostbite

I was trying to find out what the wind chill was this morning 7F at 70mph, anyone know?
Riding 70 mph when the air temperature is 7 degrees results in a windchill factor of -25 degrees.

The weather experts say that wind speeds above 40 mph have little additional chilling affect. So, if you're going to ride in bitterly cold weather, it makes sense to ride fast and get there quicker! Above all: protect your skin!

Check out this web site for more info...

http://www.weather.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Today it was 52 and only a 15 mph wind. Got the bike out and put a few miles on her--snow predicted for tomm. Almost time to get her ready for summer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had to take mine for a ride today. Sand and salt have me wishing for a good heavy rain. I don't like the feel of the back tire wigling around.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I rigged the tender connections as well. I keep a cig lighter connection pigtail and a tiny compressor in my saddlebag for emergencies. Hadn't thought of charging my cell phone, but I always carry the elect. charger in my luggage for night time charging. I was able to help out a brother on a harley that picked up a screw in a back tire with my compressor so he could get on to a shop for a tire. He hadn't heard of Ride-On. Haven't had to use the compressor for my own use so far.

I just rigged my tender connection to the battery. now i will be able to hook the gps up through the cig light connector. Is there any adverse effects from tending the battery with the battery in the bike?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts