Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Beginer builder
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have se what a few guys here have been doin to there vulcans for custom work, i have just got a hold of my fathers old vulcn 750 and was going to restore it but i think that now i want to move more towards a bobber build.I was woderinig anyone can give me some advice and tips on things i willo need to know from the guys who have done this already, this will be my first time going custom on a ike and not rtoring so its l new, tryingto do it al on a slim budget. all input will be much appreciated. thanks.:beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness tj. We need more Canucks here, lol. :)
Too bad you are still as far away from me as most of the Yanks.
(Hmmm, I mean no offence to the Rebels among us, y`all.) :)

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
i have just got a hold of my fathers old vulcn 750 and was going to restore it but i think that now i want to move more towards a bobber build.I was woderinig anyone can give me some advice and tips on things i willo need to know from the guys who have done this already, this will be my first time going custom on a ike and not rtoring so its l new, tryingto do it al on a slim budget. all input will be much appreciated. thanks.:beerchug:
First off, WELCOME to the VN750 madness. Lots of great people with alot of knowledge to share.

Second, "A bobber is a custom motorcycle that usually has had the front fender removed, the rear fender "bobbed" or made smaller, and all superfluous parts removed to make it lighter". (Wikipedia)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have a Rebel 250, and on the Rebel 250 forum bobbers are a big thing. The Vulcan will be a bit more difficult. Aside from the above things, a Bobber only has a rider seat. Take a look here www.bluecollarbobbers.com for some ideas. They actually make a kit for the Vulcan 800, with the 750 you are on your own. I have seen it done.

If you want to ever carry a passenger, or anything else on the back, or ever use saddlebags, you might want to go for the Meanstreak look instead. My understanding is that the Meanstreak seat can be made to fit the Vulcan 750, which totally changes the look of the bike. You could then build around that, maybe drag bars, and aftermarket exhaust, more chrome, etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bobbers are fun to do.. Just start by stripping off as much crap as you can get away with.. the hardest part to do on the Vulcan IMO would be the seat.. I'm thinking about what I want to do with mine right now.. I want 2up so I was thinking about a sportster seat or making a seat pan out of glass or possibly trimming the stock seat pan but every one I've seen so far looked like crap cut down.. if you want to go solo I'm not so sure the Vulcan frame is really made for that.. I have seen people cut the tail off but I personally never built a frame so I'm not sure if it's safe..

I recently started to strip my bike down a bit.. relocated the horns, (put a tool bag there to hide the lines) I was also thinking about changing the head light to something smaller..

But what ever you do please keep safety in mind.. It's not worth risking your life just to look good.

·
Beginer builder
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a big help so far with all the info u guys gave me, appreciate all the welcomes to the "madness"! This project is going to be really special because it was my fathers bike, the one I learned to ride on and I want to do it as a tribute to hime cause he passed away from cancer on chritmas when I was thirteen. I will take pics and document the build as I go to help out anyone else who may plan on this type of build. My biggest worry is all the electrical with these vulcans. The dash pannel is the biggest worry is what I can safely eliminate. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
You can completely eliminate the dash panel. But if you need a speedometer you may have a hard time finding one calibrated to the Vulcan. I believe you can cut off the whole frame behind the rear shock mounts, and use a premade bobber seat. You would have to fabricate your own mounts. Many bobber builders use some kind of trailer fender in the rear. The rear fender needs to be mounted to the swingarm, so it moves with the rear tire. That way you can mount it right down over the tire without it hitting. Also one of the big things with a bobber is a wide whitewall rear tire. Fortunately you can get one in the Vulcan's stock size.

Be aware that a true bobber is almost completely worthless as a practical motorcycle. There is not only no place to carry a passenger, but no place to carry anything else either. And they are not very comfortable. I wouldn't mind having one to scoot around town on, as long as I had another stock bike for highway use.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Check this site : http://www.cdthayer.com/cruiserchops.htm

I like the way the blue '85 was done (scroll down page, pics enlarge).
Bobbers are what was the original chopper of the 50s/60s/70s....in other words, talk to some of us oldfarts that used to make em...heck, I made one out of a '68 BSA 441 Victor, lol...."have welder, will travel"...Ive seen a bobber locally made out of a stripped down Aspencade even....

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Some very nice bikes. I've always been partial to the red wheel, wide whitewall, satin black paint look on bobbers. Kind of a ratrod look. I thought about doing that to my Rebel, but you can't do good job painting wire spoke wheels without taking them apart and painting just the rims. A bike that small and cheap wouldn't be worth it.

To me the word "chopper" specifically refers to a bike with a super raked out front end, ape hangers, tiny teardrop tank, a tall sissy bar, a fairly skinny large diameter rear tire, and a hardtail frame, like Peter Fonda's bike on "Easy Rider". I think the WWC and OCC style of so called "choppers" with 300 rear tires look like garbage.

I even thought about doing a "half bob" on my '85 Goldwing LTD. Remove the trunk, bags, rear fender, and cut the frame right behind the rear seat, while leaving the whole front fairing and windshield on. But I like all the carrying capacity to much.

·
Registered
399 Posts
this is just my 2 cents. If you want to make a bobber, thats cool. but id hate to see an '85 get chopped up, those and the '86s are special. :(

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
86 is right...the 85's are unique because theyre better than the 750s, and the only year the 700 was made...bet there aint many left on the road...
And the 86's were the first of a long and much loved species...again unique...
IMO, if ya wanna build a bob, do it to a Virago or a honda...they aint worth as much (dime a dozen I mean)...

And the phrase "chopper", was actually coined in the late 40s early 50s...the Fonda bike is a more modern California chopper that Arlen ness and the like first began to build...
When soldiers were returning from the wars (Korea, Nam, WW2...), southeast Asia is loaded with bikes (usually small rice burners), lotsa guys rode em there (and learned how). When they got back, they had little money, so bought old bikes and litterally "chopped" the extra weight off of them to make them lighter.
Many of the early choppers were Triumphs too, my buddy has one. Also, the Hells Angels were originally WW2 bomber pilots and retained their nick from the war. Afterwards, was mostly vets who joined the Angels. Most Angels enlisted as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts