Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last summer my stator took a crap and I replaced it with one from TPE. I also did the MOSFET R/R swap and my voltage was perfect. 14 volts at idle. This year I have been battling what I believe is dirt in the carbs, but now my stator has failed again. All 3 legs show continuity to the engine and the 1 leg doesn't output any AC voltage. TPE doesn't appear to be in business any longer. I am tired of wrenching on this bike, what are my options, would I be better off trading it in or selling it as is. I didn't do the tuxedo mod figuring that would be the only time I needed in there. This whole experience has turned me off on Kawasaki products, I know the bike is 20 years old, but just so frustrating to work on. It's my first bike and I love riding, but I need something more reliable. I just needed to vent to someone and will appreciate any info or directions I should go at this point.

Thanks, Cliff

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
As with any machine, you bite the bullet and fix it, or move on.

You're the second person I've seen with a failed TPE, out of maybe hundreds. But anything can fail, and quality may have suffered before they closed up shop.

One member here is in the process of trying another rewinder, jury is still out on that.

It's unusual to have all three legs shorted to ground.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I know is that all 3 legs have continuity through ground and the 1 leg makes no AC voltage. Any recommendations as for my next bike? I want 1 that doesn't require valve adjustments and is reliable, prefer fuel injected and either shaft or belt drive. It doesn't need to be faster, but would like it to be at least 800cc and under 3 grand.

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
All I know is that all 3 legs have continuity through ground and the 1 leg makes no AC voltage. Any recommendations as for my next bike? I want 1 that doesn't require valve adjustments and is reliable, prefer fuel injected and either shaft or belt drive. It doesn't need to be faster, but would like it to be at least 800cc and under 3 grand.

Here you go...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
is this a little better?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: Paulywog

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
no doubt the stator is bad, and needs replacement.

the all three legs having continuity to ground is not new. ANY of the legs shorted to ground will show on all 3 as having continuity to ground, one leg of each is tied together.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Your options are to fix it, or lose money on your investment. Nobody wants to buy a broken bike for anything over $500, and nobody wants to take a broken trade-in.

I found TPEs rewind quality went down last year or 2 of them being open. I had a rewind come bad out of the box.

At this stage I'd just suggest an OEM stator, unless others have had success with another rewinder.

$300 part. Free labor. A lot cheaper than buying a different bike. You know the issue. You know the cause (bad re-wind.) Just fix it and ride on!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have it listed for sale as is. If it doesn't sell, I might stick a cheap stator in it. I'll get my money back out of it that way. Not sure I want to do that much work though. Ever since I changed the stator last year, I have been nagged by other issues. I think the carbs got dirt in them, I tried sea foam and back blowing them multiple times. It will still miss, spit, sputter backfire and bog down when trying to accelerate hard. I was about ready to try and pull the carbs when the stator quit.

I was starting to look for a different bike anyhow. I want something over 1000cc. I like the looks of a Suzuki Boulevard, never rode one yet.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
The Boulevard 109 is an entirely different ride compared to the VN750, more like a tractor. It's over 8' long, not quick or nimble by any standard, shifts like a tractor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I grew up on a farm, I miss driving tractors. Lol. I was thinking c50 or m90 actually. I have never even rode any other street bike besides my Vulcan so I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Actually it is the C90T that my friend has. Not saying it's a bad bike, just a different world from the 750. It's a big touring bike and will dictate how you ride it. I just felt like the trans was really clunky, slow shifting. A big adjustment right after hopping off the 750. I'm always backing down from the speed limit to wait for him.

I guess the 109 is a newer model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said, I've never rode any other bike. I just like the looks of them and the price is right on them. I'm tired of problems with my Vulcan and want a bigger bike, one that is more relaxed highway cruiser.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
As with any machine, you bite the bullet and fix it, or move on.

You're the second person I've seen with a failed TPE, out of maybe hundreds. But anything can fail, and quality may have suffered before they closed up shop.

One member here is in the process of trying another rewinder, jury is still out on that.

It's unusual to have all three legs shorted to ground.

Hey, I think you're referring to me, Spockster. :D
I posted a picture of the Stator I got from Willie's and updated my project status in my "Stator Change Grows Into A Project" thread;

http://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/94201-stator-change-grow-into-project-2.html

·
Registered
8,308 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just called willie's cycle and they are now sellling stators for $89.95, I think I just may buy 1 and then sell my bike. I will get a lot more for it, plus I can clean the carbs while I have the engine shifted out of the frame.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
I just called willie's cycle and they are now sellling stators for $89.95, I think I just may buy 1 and then sell my bike. I will get a lot more for it, plus I can clean the carbs while I have the engine shifted out of the frame.
Oh... so they dropped the price after I ordered one? :doh:

So you'll get it installed, your bike will start running great and then you won't want to sell it. :grin2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got the new stator from Willie's installed and it makes 14 volts at idle. It came with a new rubber grommet on it so no oil leak where the wires pass under the stator cover and the wires were plenty long enough with already installed bullet connectors on the ends. Made hooking up a breeze. That's the good news. The bad is I took the carbs off to clean them and the rear boot is leaking. How do I know when it is installed correctly, before tightening everything up.

I have the bike for sale locally as is. I do enjoy riding it, when it's running correctly, but just tired of messing with it. My brother in law has an 03 HD Softail he is selling for a good price. I need to ride some other bikes and see what I like. A dealer has a couple of V Star 1100's for sale. I sat on one and it felt altogether different, in a good way. Anybody needing a new stator I highly recommend Willy;s. He said they have less than 1% fail rate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts