Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal, I work at a plat where we design and build custom packaging machinery and robots for the packing/casing industry. I am a service tech for the machines, have been doing it for 2.5 years now. Several of the guys at the plant ride motorcycles, i'd say of the 78 employees, about 15 of them ride.
Anyway, we just hired a new assembler tech who is a cocky sob, he's been here for not even two weeks and thinks he knows it all. He came rolling in the other day on his Suzuki Marauder 805 and parked it next to my Vulcan 750.
During the day he was bragging and saying how his bike would smoke my little 750, and how his is bored and supermodded to a 805 or something and my little 750 wouldn't keep up.

I tired explaining to him, that just cuz its a bigger cc engine doesn't mean its really much faster. I also ride/race quad atvs, and the Yamaha Raptor 660r and the new 700r is a much bigger heavier quad then the yamaha yfz450. The yfz450 is designed for the motocross track and the raptor is designed for the trails. In the quarter mile or hole shot, the smaller and quicker 450 will beat the bigger 660/700, but in the long stretch the raptor has a higher top speed, i think the raptor stock speed is like 72, while the 450 is like 68.

So he went on how he went to tech college for marine/small engines and he knows all about engines and stuff, and how he knows his 805 will smoke my 750.
I told him that if he did some research he would find out quickly that the vn750 is well known for being fast and leaving bigger bikes in the wind. He just laughed at me.
Anyway i am sick of this guy and need to put him in his place! lol

What are your opinions on this? A suzuki marauder 805 vs a kawasaki vulcan 750??

Another guy at work, who has been riding bike for over 35 years, Dennis, he has one of them big nice Triumph Rocket III bikes, and he even said that my bike the vn750 is well known for being quick and will probably beat most 900s and maybe more.

Peace

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
check your area drag strips and see if they offer a open track day to the public. then ask him to join you at the track and see who has the faster bike.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Answer: it depends.

If both bikes were/are completely stock, and in proper tune and condition, then the Vulcan 750 will smoke the Marauder. Only the Suzuki 805cc Intruder (now sold as the Boulevard) is faster in the 800cc class--again, bone stock.

But if he's added some mods to his bike...depending on what he's done to it, and what you may (or may not) have done to yours, then you may indeed get "waxed" if the two of you ran the 1/4 mile.

Dare I ask: what difference does this really make, anyway? All that really matters...is if both of you really like the bike you own....:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Can't say about top speed. I've had my VN750 for a couple of months and I've never taken it over 80, and I realized riding home today that I have yet to open the throttle all the way!

Up until last summer I was riding a 28 hp Hyosung GV250. On the weekend I decided I was going to buy a bigger bike there were 2 ads in the paper that caught my eye; a Vulcan 750 and a Marauder. I was more excited about the Marauder. Several guys (and a gal) in another discussion board are riding C50s or Volusias, the Marauder has the same engine and I thought it was basically the same bike with a few less features. I rode the Vulcan first, only up to 30 mph or so on the neighborhood streets because the owner asked me to keep it close by and it didn't have a license plate. Even though it was taller and the handlebars felt much higher, it had plenty of oomph and I pulled a u-turn fairly easily. It felt pretty comfortable. The Marauder felt clumsy and awkward and after taking two easy corners on it I decided I had had enough. I thought I was gonna drop it; not because of power but because of squirrely balance and steering. Thinking back, I think that Marauder had a chain drive and nothing but a basic speedometer up front. I went back and made an offer on the Vulcan and I am glad.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Top speed sucks but off the line acceleration is good. Sounds like your new guy is compensating. A lot of sport bike riders around here are like that.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Tell him to show up at the drag strip, I bet he'll make up excuses. In the rare case he does show up, smoke him :)

I know a guy that claimed he made his own turbo, when I asked him how, he said he built it from a PC case cooling fan. Yea, he is THAT stupid... so basically, some people will talk out of their @$$es, but it doesn't mean they can back it up :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I know from 1st hand experience the 750 will take the Marauder. My buddy out in NY had one when I got my 93' 750 and while I was out there visiting we lined them up. He was so humble when he finally caught up to me. lol

He had mods on his and a rejet. Mine was bone stock. Then he took the 750 for a ride as I was on his bike and he was even more impressed.

·
2,527 Posts
As much as we say it, this will probably never make it to the dragstrip. My buddy has a Virago 750 that consistantly pulls away from me, that being said, I usually end up going into the red to try to stay ahead of him and I flat shift, but slowly he still catches me. We don't drag race, but we do run it full out on the highway sometimes. So unless you want to put yourself in that position, then you probably should just show him the statistics and make him fume over you saying your bike is faster.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Dude, take him to the track and pack his freekin' lunch. He's calling your 750 a "little" bike and he's only got an 805? Doesn't get more pompous than that! What does he think a 1300 is, a giant? Not in today's market. I say roll him up and smoke um...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Handle like a man. Come in late and push his bike over in the parking lot. :p

It surprised me how many people here at work ride. And it's a very wide variety of bikes. Only had one person really say anything about me having a 750, and couldn't keep up with his bike. What I told him was it was his opinion and he was allowed to have it. Even if it was wrong.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Ignore him. Small guys like big talk.
He was born that way
I'm with you. It's not worth the bother. The guy is a "talker". I bet he never set foot inside a tech college. If he's so good, why isn't he a tech at a marina or something?

I'm just saying...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Consider the source.
Do you want his respect? Didn't think so.
Does his opinion matter? Didn't think so.
Losers need not apply.
JM2C

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Dude, take him to the track and pack his freekin' lunch. He's calling your 750 a "little" bike and he's only got an 805? Doesn't get more pompous than that! What does he think a 1300 is, a giant? Not in today's market. I say roll him up and smoke um...
AND post a video on the internet... public humiliation! lol

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I'd tell him the only smoke to be seen is what is coming out of his ass. I personally dusted a 805 Marauder. (I do not reccomend you participate in a street race.) The times Flitecontrol posted are pretty accurate. The Zuke got off the line first...but I still stole the show...by a good 30 feet at the end of a measured 1/4 mile.

Do keep in mind that the differences are only fractions of a second here, in talented hands it could go either way...depending on whose riding what and how much they weigh, late shifts, etc etc...

You should ask him if having a fast bike is so important that he needs to keep yaking on about it, why doesn't he have a REAL fast bike....there are ALOT of bikes out there that can run in the 9's or 10's with little effort that are bone stock.

Then tell him men that keep bragging about how fast their car or bike is usually have tiny diks., so, you feel sorry for him... ;)

KM

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It's not worth trashing your spline for. Now, if he was a Harley rider, I'd say go for it...

DT

1 - 20 of 45 Posts