Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-

I have a few novice questions for you all that maybe you could give me some direction on.

I recently purchased a 1994 Vulcan 750. When I got it home it fell over :-( For about 30 seconds.. until I got it up again. Afterwards it didnt want to idle very well but the next morning it started up and I was able to ride it. Since then however there has been a popping sound during idle and while driving that I did not notice before. Thoughts?

Also- I've been working on restoring this bike. Up till now I've used SOS pads on rust which works most of the time. It doesn't take off the deeper set in rust like on the tachometer and speedometer. It does however take light rust off very well. I guess I was just hoping for some better direction from someone who has restored their bike. Any feed back will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance All-

Jay

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
You will want to "coaster" or "marble" it first (do a search in this forum on these terms). After that if it is still popping in the exhaust you have an air leak somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Many of us have given up on trying to keep the speedo and tach rings looking good. Painting them with a color similar to the original (brushed aluminum?) finish works well.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Many of us have given up on trying to keep the speedo and tach rings looking good. Painting them with a color similar to the original (brushed aluminum?) finish works well.
There are pics in the gallery of a set of gauges with the rings painted black too.
Satin or flat black might cut down on some glare reflecting from them as well.:smiley_th

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Gentleman. I painted them today and they look much better!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I always use "0000" (four aught) or "000" steel wool to clean up rust. Two years ago I bought a used 750 that had been out in the rain for way too long and all the chrome looked like hooey. Owner was asking a really low price because, in his mind, the bike was a goner. Cleaned it up pretty readily and sold it for twice what I paid. :smiley_th Deep rust? The usual - naval jelly, then prime and paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts