Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 86 vn750 earlier in the year, rode it most of the season and fell in love with it. Unfortunately the stator went, so I figured since I had to pull the motor anyway id go through the bike and restore it/clean it up. Engine runs beautiful other than the factory cam chain tensioners which cause the rattle but I have the manual ones ordered. I was kicking around the idea of painting my engine. I know powdercoat is the way to go but I dont want to tear the engine down. So I was wondering if its safe to paint it with engine paint from an autoparts store. Obviously mask off the areas I dont want paint getting into. So I want some input, if its safe, practical and if it is if anyone has tips. Im asking because ive seen on the web it can be dangerous and ruin the engine. Thanks guys.

·
wrench
110 Posts
The whole result of a paint job is the preparation that you do before.
Make sure that you clean the engine thoroughly from grease and other dirt.
Mask the engine parts where you dont want to paint and go ahead, i have done it before with some good results.
That special care with the axles and stuff comming out of the engine.
Before masking apply a little grease or vaseline where they enter the engine, after painting simply wash it of.

I used paint from Motip with a primer, for the normal engine parts this works good, for the exhaust parts (the part where the exhaust is bolted to the engine) you need something more heat resistant.
I dont see how you can destroy an engine by painting, you are not painting the inside i hope :)

Good luck,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it would be like painting anything else, your right its all prep work. I just caught a couple people on other forums that said it can damage the engine. I thought that was far fetched but I thought id look into it a bit more.

·
wrench
110 Posts
The only bad thing that i can think of is if you would some kind of paint or spray it that thick so that it influence the cooling of the engine.
Other then that i do not see any problem.

Did they say how the engine was damaged, made me curious :)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i guess if a person was dumb enough to use metallic paint and not mask off anything it could cause a problem

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,435 Posts
i painted my engine with duplicolor engine paint and have been running her for over a year and a half with no overheating problems whatso ever.the only issue i could see is with an aircooled enging with too many coats of paint or paint not meant for engines,as most motorcycle engines are painted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts