I have never seen vn750 with those accessoires like this:

It is supposed to be the Tour Package!?
You guys like it?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
You mean one like this?

or this?

Let's see.. I have one (all of the above pics..)
Pick has one, Ken Eng has one, JD has one, and a few others have the fairing and parts of the tourpac.
Tour pac includes, fairing, lowers, tour pac fender, hardbags, dresser bars, floorboards.. saddlebag rails, fender rail.. ummm.. I think that's about it...

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Dianna - How about a couple of pics from the other side. I'd like to see that side car too! :smiley_th

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Acquiring the tour package is a hunt and piece process now. Tour fenders are almost impossible to find, dresser bars are very rare, Fairings show up every once in a while, all through ebay.
I got the hardbags first, then lucked out after several attempts on a fairing and got one from a dealer that was going out of business. Got the faiting, lowers, tour fender and fender rail all for $150 plus $80 shipping. Not bad considering it was originally a $1500 package.

That is probably one of the reasons Kawasaki only had it for a few years. Adding another $2000 to the bike just wasn't an accessory that many people wanted to do with the VN750.
When I got the bike in 2003 the tour package was already discontinued. Those of us that do use it for distance travel find the hardbags and fairing very useful. Good thing is we can now get those options at about .10-.25 cents on the dollar. We just have to have a lot of patience.
Some additional shots can be seen here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddhughey0620/sets/72157600678733424/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddhughey0620/sets/72157600678733684/
This one shows sort of a short progression of the bike, from when I first got it to almost the present state
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddhughey0620/sets/72157600678459681/

This is the current bike I am working on, all of the body is off now and being baking soda blaster in prep for a fresh paint job, wiring all cleaned up and sidecar ready to be attached. I need to get some pictures taken before we get too far into the process so it has a picture history of the restore
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddhughey0620/sets/72157600678458673/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:wow:
Awesome! Dianna, yours looks showroom clean! Truly impressive!:smiley_th
I got to say i like most of the package! So everybody is on a hunt for those now,huh?
~$2000 for it new? I paid about the same for the whole bike this year!
No wonder they stopped it.
How much weight does the whole package add? Does it feel different in any way except the improved comfort?

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I have never seen vn750 with those accessoires like this:

It is supposed to be the Tour Package!?
You guys like it?
That pin-striping makes it look so boxy and 70's retro. Yuck... I can see the picture is missing the chrome fender guard, bag guards and bag rails. I much perfer what Dianna has done with hers...

·
Registered
141 Posts
The first thing I wondered also was how much weight does it add. I would kill to simply get a front fender. I'd LOVE to have the entire tour package myself. I'm not hot on the chrome railings on the fender and hard bags but you can readily see how that setup would be nice as heck for long distance riding.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
The first thing I wondered also was how much weight does it add. I would kill to simply get a front fender. I'd LOVE to have the entire tour package myself. I'm not hot on the chrome railings on the fender and hard bags but you can readily see how that setup would be nice as heck for long distance riding.
See http://www.bulldogsbike.com for pictures of the chrome fender guard on the tourpack fender. It is worth it...

I personally don't like the full tour pack as I think it looks dorky. My opinion.
But parts of the tour pack are very nice. I have the floorboards and the front fender with fender guard. They add a lot of flair to the bike. IMHO, the tour fender alone looks wrong and is too fragile by itself. The chrome guard adds flair and protects the plastic fender. JMHO...

I've riden Pick's bike with the full tourpack and it does add some frontend weight, but you don't notice it when moving. The frame based fairing does knock out a bunch of wind resistance and is pretty steady at highway speed. Because it is not attached to the handlebars, you don't have to fight the wind as much. The fairing is nice, just not my cup of tea...

·
Registered
748 Posts
It don't weigh that much...

It doesn't weigh as much as you might think. I'd have to weigh each piece of my extra set to be sure (I ain't about to dismantle the one on the bike unless I have to!), but just handling the parts, it's prolly less than 40 lbs., total.

The heaviest thing is the pair of saddlebag mounts; they're way overbuilt, cast aluminum. Next would be the floorboards, because of the 3/8" thick steel brackets, then the dresser bars. The fairing mount is pretty light; as individual pieces, the fairing and bags are really light; ABS plastic.

I have one set, less the fender and guard, dresser bars, floorboards and bag lid rails, mounted on the bike. Actually, I have the boards, without brackets; and the lid rails, just not mounted. A GL1100 front fender and guard are waiting to be finished and mounted, and I'm fixing to make the floorboard brackets. I found a pair of dresser bars off a Yamaha XS Eleven Special that I think can be modified to work, until/if I can find originals.

The other Tour Pack I've got is even less complete, but I've located some of what's missing, and worked out a trade. Still looking for another set of floorboards, dresser bars, bag and lid guards, fender w/guard, and lowers for that set. I'll probably end up having to make most of that. As a matter of fact, one reason I got the second Tour Pack was so I could pull molds and duplicate it; the other reason was spare parts in case of a crash. It'll be sometime late 2008 before any duplicating gets done, tho; too many other projects going on that need finishing first.

As for handling, the fairing is rated at 90mph max, and I've had mine to 115 before it started feeling a bit light in the front. Wind does become a factor at highway speeds (65-75); above 20 mph crosswinds can be a bitch, especially if a trunk is mounted, but not as bad if the bike is loaded down for a trip.

Jim

·
Registered
141 Posts
JD, you mentioned a GL1100 front fender. Is that a bolt-on fit? I'm looking for a front and rear fender that can give more splash control than the stock ones. Anything that would look good and reduce the muddy water stripe in the middle of the radiator for the front would be nice to know about. Same goes for a longer rear fender.........

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
JD, you mentioned a GL1100 front fender. Is that a bolt-on fit? I'm looking for a front and rear fender that can give more splash control than the stock ones. Anything that would look good and reduce the muddy water stripe in the middle of the radiator for the front would be nice to know about. Same goes for a longer rear fender.........
As Dianna stated, you have to Dremel the holes on the GL1100 fender brackets, altho it ain't much; maybe half a bolt hole out on each one. You could also make all new brackets--they rivet to the plastic fender--or use the sides off a messed up 750 fender for brackets. The 1100 'Wing fender does have a "mudflap flare" at the rear that drops a slight bit further down than the rear of the Kaw tour fender, IIRC.

Haven't done any research, as far as rear fenders. Easiest would be to add a mudflap. Another possibility would be to cut the stock one just above where the taillight mounts, and hinge a longer piece from another rear fender--even a trailer fender--there; hinge, so you wouldn't have to take the fender off to change the rear tire. Shouldn't be hard to come up with other ideas for that.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts