61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think of the 900 classic
I stopped by the stealer last night to look at
them not bad for the price........

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like the 900's I am partial to the custom myself (still debating on it) but you may want to ask this question on vroc or somewhere else, most here are pretty much set on the 750 lol and thats probably the only thing stopping me from getting the 900...I would hate to get rid of my 750...and not enough room for 2 bikes,

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
They do look nice, Down side is only 1 plug per cylender and you have to remove the gas tank to get to them.
Other than that I have heard good about them.

·
Registered
699 Posts
remove the tank to get to the plugs???? where do they find the people that design these things!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The 900 custom seems to be a nice replacement for my 750... but until I wear it down to the ground I will be happy as I am right now...
As for the plugs... I'm pretty sure service considerations are the last thing on the minds of the guys who design this bikes...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
remove the tank to get to the plugs???? where do they find the people that design these things!!!!
Alot of dirtbikes are like that too. Like was mentioned on another post (maybe at Y! ?) they put the plug in the center of the combustion chambers to get optimum ignition of the gases.
Just so happens that's a good place for the tank too.
Making the tanks easier to remove would be a big help, but they just think about the easiest way of putting it together, not taking it apart!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Once we run out of 750 parts and stuff, maybe we could start a vn900.com website. That way we don't have to loose too many friends from this site assuming of course that everyone switches to the 900.
I too like the look of the 900 custom for the most part. I don't like the wheels per se and would put something different on the bike if anything was availabe. Not spoked wheels but something more like our current wheels. I do like the skinny front tire rather than the big balloon front tire on the regular 900 or the LX.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hope to be enjoying my 86 750 and my 06 900 LT for at least the next 20 years,with getting my 75 Z-1 back up and running.If I can accomplise all that,my life will have truely been blessed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I will keep my 750 for now but the 900 classic
look's like a nice replacement someday if the 750
wears out,I don't know if the sparkplug issue is
that big of a deal seeing the 900 is fuel injected
won't have to change them as often.............

·
Registered
29 Posts
My brother bought a 900 classic, & I like it, but between the 2, I like the custom a little better. If only that front wheel was more like the 750...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I was just at the Bike show in Chicago, Talked to a Kaw Sailsman. He is a friend, He said that a 900 is a good bike just not as fast as a 750.:motorcycl
Good for us, My dad did like the 900 and when he sells his Pro Street car want to get one.
Anybody looking for a Hot Rod, I can send you picts or go to my Yahoo photos and look at Dad's car folder.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I traded my 2001 VN750 in on a 2007 VN900. The classic is faster than the 750. It rides smoother. It can easily cruise at 80 without any movement from a wind blast. My 750 had to be leaned over in a crosswind, the 900 just goes straight down the road. One thing I did was put the stock windshield that comes on the LT on my Classic (also non-studded Kaw bags). I am very pleased. It was very affordable, and I'm glad I made the trade. It is not a replacement for the 750. It's modern technology and a new ride altogether.

Ralph Mann
Marble Falls, TX

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I think the 900's look great. But they look like basically every other cruiser. That's why I'm partial to the 750. Not too many bikes look like ours. Plus, our 750's have lots of metal parts on them, and look at some of those old 80's bikes in our gallery. Still looking good after all these years. I'll bet that 900 won't look this good after several years with all that plastic on them. I know that plastic keeps the bike affordable especially in a new model...but it just doesn't wear like metal does. (I had the same reaction when the dash board of the chevy trucks went plastic--kind of made me sick)

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
fergy , good point. the 750 stands out while the 900 is just another cruizer and at this point you might as well get Volusia/C50 ... IMO. i'm myself not really into cruizers ( i looking for something Vstrom -like as next bike) but picked up the 750 since it is not like every other "classic" cruiser. it is been an awesome learning bike.
oh well, apparently the Kaw marketing people know better then us what we want and need... not in my case though.

we are just spoiled by accessability and ease of maintanence of our bike! some bikes you need to do crazy stuff like removing portion of exhaust pipe to do simple oil change - can't remembwer if it is the VFR or the ST1300... but either of those is bitch to maintain because of these litle things. we are lucky!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Yeah, it's such a great all around bike, especially for someone who commutes on it nearly every day. I think it would have been a more popular bike if it had been advertised better maybe (or at all). You'd think that the dealers would have loved selling them, especially for all those years, unchanged, I'm sure making a pretty good profit on them. But face it, the market drives manufacturing and the craze in the last 10 years has been cruisers. If it looks and sounds more like a harley, it will sell to all the wanabees. Heck, I like the way the cruisers look. I've ridden a Vulcan 1500 and I really like the way it rides and feels torquie in the lower rpms, like how it sounds. But I wouldn't want to have that as my hop on and go every day bike. Our 750's are really in that perfect size for riding a lot, without beating yourself up with vibration (harley) and plenty fast, light weight and fun. Plus they just look good.

You look at one of our bikes from the side and it has lines and features that no other bike has. All the rest pretty much look alike to me.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Give me a Hell Yeah! for the Vulcan !!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I like my 750 but between the inevitable stator problems and some of the other common issues with the bike that have also remained unchanged, I too have been seriously looking at the 900 Custom. I plan on keeping Ursula for awhile yet but I really don't want to have to pull the engine again when the stator goes. Time will tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went to a local dealer asked about the 900 custom. Sales guy asked me what
I presently ride. Told him Vulcan 750. He told me 750 had more hp then 900,
comparable torque and much better handling. Only advantage 900 had was
a bit better highway ride. There are still some honest dealers out there. He
convinced me to keep what I have. I guess I'll ride the 750 until it falls apart.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts