Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I've had 2 Vulcan 750's in the past. I was riding Ortega Highway here in So Cal a couple weekends ago and I ran into the owner of a local Kawi dealer when I stopped for a break at The Lookout Roadhouse.

We started talking about old bikes we've owned and I brought up the 750.

He said the motors were only good for about 50,000 miles then the timing chain tensioners would go bad and he mentioned another engine problem that I don't remember. He said they were the most complicated V-Twin he ever worked on and they were expensive to work on becasue of that.
He said with 50,000 miles or more they wern't worth fixing because it was so expensive and the bikes wern't worth much with that many miles on them.

I had about 20,000 miles on my 750's when I sold them and didn't have any engine problems....although the last one I had I remember a ticking sound in the morning when cold at start up...would go away after the motor warmed up.

So my question is this......How many miles do you have on your 750's AND have you had any engine problems with yours??

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
58,000 here. Replaced the cam chain tensioners with manual ones from Toc. The stator fried about 4 times, fixed under extended warranty each time.

But, the extended warranty is now over. It's about $1000 for a stator job, so if the stator fries again, I don't know what I'll do. Love the VN, want to keep it, but $$$ is always tight.

Still, other that the stator, the bike is rock solid. I ride hard over some amazingly rough roads, it soaks them up and asks for more.

Make sure to change the oil every 3k. When I hit 60k I'll probably take it to the shop for a full maintenance service.

There's only one thing the VN750 is very bad at: Sitting in the garage unridden. :motorcycl

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow a fried Stator 4 times!! Is that common, or did you have an issue somewhere that was causing it to fry??

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I agree. The biggest shop in my area has two factory trained mechs. The rest are post high school kids that do most of the work.

Simplicity in engine design has it's bonuses - not one of the VN's - but then, it wouldn't be VN750!

DT

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The engine is more complicated than most cruisers, but then not many 750s are able to perform like the VN750! Definitely not a typical cruiser.

The "50,000 miles and the engine is shot" story is bull. The ticking you heard was probably the ACCT springs getting weak. Replace the ACCT springs periodically or convert to manual CCT and that is not a problem. That's like saying you need to replace a car when the wheel bearings wear out!

Your other questions are answered in my sig. I've had no engine problems. I did buysome MCCTs, but haven't installed them because the ACCTs are going fine.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
mine only has a problem with drinking sea foam and gas lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The "50,000 miles and the engine is shot" story is bull.
Not saying you're wrong but I'd like to get some input from guys that have 60,70 80 or more thousand miles on their 750's before I'd agree with you.
The engines working hard at high RPM's on the freeway COULD be a factor in the life of the motor.

At this point I'd be more tempted to take the word of a guy that has sold them for years, but that's why I asked for input from you folks.

This Kawi dealer has been in business since about 1982.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Well, I know EQPlayer and EdAlbris (sp?) have over 50,000 miles on theirs. In a few more years, I should too. Keep in mind there are folks that only get to ride on weekends and live in northern climes. They aren't going to rack up as many miles as someone who uses the bike as a daily commuter and rides year round.

Since you mention your trust in a Kawasaki dealership, let me share my experience with one. I got my Vulcan from a guy who had just spent $1,300 at the dealership to have the bike "gone over" from one end to the other. He gave me the receipts when he sold it. They kept his bike four months. He was an occasional rider and put around 300 miles on his bike in a little over 90 days, which was the lime limit on the warranty for the dealership work. It started having throttle issues and you had to hold the throttle to crank the bike. Turns out the original pull throttle cable, which had never been lubricated, was frayed and binding in the cable housing. He sold the 750 to me and bought a 2008 VN2000.

When I called him a month or so after the sale, he told me his brand new bike was in the dealer repair shop with a blown engine. Seems they had over filled the crankcase with oil, and he, assuming the dealership knew what it was doing, didn't check it. There are similar stories of other members experiences with Kawi dealerships on the pages of this forum. I'm not saying they are all worthless, but there are many examples of dealerships giving bogus diagnosis and not knowing how to properly service these bikes. And it's not like there weren't a bunch of these bikes produced; they were made from 1985-2006.

One reason so many of these bikes wind up being parted out is because the rear driveshaft splines were not properly lubed, both from the factory and dealerships. A new final drive costs $1,200 from Kawasaki. If you get a VN750, be sure to check that. I would do it before buying the bike.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Dealerships are best to be called "Stealerships". Plain and simple. I went in to order some basic parts, a bolt and the plastic chrome swingarm cover cap, and got to talking to one of the guys that work there, the first thing he did was dis my bike, saying i gotta get something newer and bigger. I told him my vn750 has no problem keeping up with the big boys and out does them in the turns hands down. He just laughed. He said the vn750s are a walking nightmare. I said they made this bike for over 25 years, and barely changed anything, it's a proven solid machine. He just chuckled.
And as FlacoLove and flitecontrol stated, I wouldn't trust them as far as i can throw them. If you take it in to have stuff done, you best go over it yourself!
My bro took his quad into the yamaha dealership for new tires and brakes, and those tards didnt tighten the dam lugnuts on the tires.

Stealerships want your money, they want you to come back time and time again. If i can do the work myself, then I DO!!

As far as the whole 50K mile crap goes, well you gotta maintain your bike, if you dont keep it up, sure it wont last that long. I just went over 17K on mine, and she's actually running better now than when i got her with 6500 miles on it.

Peace

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear you guys....but for whatever reason it seems like most 750 Vulcans don't have a lot of miles on them....which is good if you want to buy a used one.

As far as dearlerships go some are good some are bad and I've been to both kinds.....I've found they're no better or worse than ANY type of service orientated business. There are bad auto service dealers too, I've been to bad dentists and doctors!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
In keeping with the thread, my experience with the Vulcan 750 makes me give a 6 out of 10 for reliability. My bike has been pampered from the day it was new. It has about 5300 miles now. I have been stranded a few times due to hot starting issues, and it is still not overly eager to start after refeuling, but has done better since the iridium plugs.
Now the coolant leak at the cylinder base gasket will keep it off the road for some time. It is a complex engine, which is why you get so much performance from 750 ccs.
This forum is full of mods to improve reliability, such as degoating, rectifier relocation, stator upgrades, and cam chain tensioner upgrades, and altering the pickup gaps. All this knowledge stems from numerous issues encountered by many owners. Thus reliability is problematic for these machines.
When operational, there are not too many cruisers in it's class that are as much fun to ride, or as fast when you open it up. For each owner it's a question of whether the fun outweighs the aggravation. It may take years to decide...

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
When operational, there are not too many cruisers in it's class that are as much fun to ride, or as fast when you open it up. For each owner it's a question of whether the fun outweighs the aggravation. It may take years to decide...
Well said man, well said!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
58,000 here. Replaced the cam chain tensioners with manual ones from Toc. The stator fried about 4 times, fixed under extended warranty each time.

But, the extended warranty is now over. It's about $1000 for a stator job, so if the stator fries again, I don't know what I'll do. Love the VN, want to keep it, but $$$ is always tight.

Still, other that the stator, the bike is rock solid. I ride hard over some amazingly rough roads, it soaks them up and asks for more.

Make sure to change the oil every 3k. When I hit 60k I'll probably take it to the shop for a full maintenance service.

There's only one thing the VN750 is very bad at: Sitting in the garage unridden. :motorcycl
Did you relocate your r/r at any point? Just wondering.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Got my 750 in mid August. A 2000 with 11,200 miles. Now almost mid November and it has 15,400 on her and the only problem I've had is the horn quit working, fixed that as it was just corrosion on the switch and the rear blinkers acting up. Again just corrosion on the connectors under the seat. One of the reasons I went with the Vulcan is the not having to check the stinking lifters every 2500-3000 miles or so, like I do with my small bike.

Keep things lubed up and it should a long time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a 69-year old life-long motorcyclist. Started out with a Zundapp 250 twingle but had the most fun from 1969 through 1995 on a 1969 Kawasaki 500 Mach III. I still have a great-running 1973 Mach III. Just purchased a very well-maintained 2006 VN750 from a 72-year-old friend who purchased it used in 2006 with 5600 miles on it. It now has 20,500 miles and starts and runs great after putting in some fresh fuel, as it had been sitting still for months. The week prior, I had purchased a 2006 Suzuki S50 800 from a local dealer which had 11,200 miles. Right now, I'm thinking about keeping both bikes as I really like them both, yet they have very different personalities. From the internet, I've gleaned that the Suzy 800 has about 50 hp, and the high-revving Kawasaki 750 has 66 hp. However, my impression from riding both bikes several times is that the Suzuki has 66 hp, and the Kawasaki VN750 has 50 hp. The Suzuki has no tachometer, but it feels like it revs out to about 5000 rpm before signing off, while the heavier-by-50-lbs fully loaded Kawasaki's tach shows the redline at 8500 rpm. I had a 1982 GS750TZ for many years, and it would really fly, but the 2006 Suzuki 800 feels like it really flies, too. The Kawasaki definitely handles curves much better than the Suzuki, and is way more smooth and civilized to boot. I wish there was a way to swap out the motors.

·
Registered
775 Posts
... For each owner it's a question of whether the fun outweighs the aggravation. It may take years to decide...
This can be applied to a lot of things, but is ESPECIALLY true in the case of the VN750.

Then again the same could be said of my '92 Pathfinder, or ANY project vehicle, but I love(/hate) both of my project vehicles because they are MINE and I own them and am solely responsible for their upkeep.

Oh yeah and sometimes I have a ton of fun with both of them. :grin2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
the bikes are reliable, but if you beat on it, you will pay for it. you want something to beat on buy a honda, they can take quite a bit more than the vulcans

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
I bought my 2005 VN750 in late 2015, shortly after coming down here to Key West. I don't recall what the mileage was but it is now a bit over 37K.

I'd say I have learned enough about the Vulcan 750 since I joined this forum that I really wish I'd gone and bought one new back in 2004 when I sold my first LTD-1000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lots of miles

I have an 85 with 52,000+ on her. I bought it a year ago, and have spent quite a few hours catching up on what I would call maintenance issues. One of the issues was the odometer/speedo wasn't working, so I can safely add on the number of miles a college student would clock in 2 years. I just completed changing the balance dampers, as it had a noticeable knock left once I quieted down the cam chains with MCCT's. It sounds mint now, and has all the power I would expect (and then some) for a bike of this vintage. I also did the ear shave, and I think that made a significant difference in how it's breathing once you get the rpms up into the power band. We'll see how it goes from here. I don't anticipate putting a ton of miles on it, as I live in the UP of Michigan, and don't enjoy riding when it's cold!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts