Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ladies and gents,
I was just wondering what you all would think about some type of raffle for our forum to raise money or something. What i am thinking is perhaps we sell a ticket for a buck or two etc...for the chance at winning a vulcan 750 that has all the bells and whistles. We could do it over a year or so....we could get donated parts and possibly donated labor to put it together. Just curious. I am sure we could come up with the parts/money through the raffle or donations. It sounds like an interesting idea. Any thoughts on this or something similar? I think it would be fun and unique to our forum.:beerchug:

·
2,527 Posts
Not a bad idea, I'm thinking we might want to start out with something smaller, like a custom VN750 grill, Set of tires, plexifaring or something along that line. See how that goes 1st. I don't know if we have enough contributing members to put up for a bike. For instance if we bought a Plexifairing for around $175 (est.) and sold 200 tickets at $2 each.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I have a OEM sissy bar I could donate to the cause.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a final drive would be nice!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Ya just better make sure you're doing the raffle in a state that allows it without a license. Most states consider it gambling, and you gotta apply for a license to be able to hold a raffle. Usually it's done by non-profits. You never know what big-brother type would find out about it once you got it going without checking into it. Just my $.02.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
but i dont think you need a license to raffle over the internet. and this would be international anyway wouldnt it? i know we have a few members across the pond and beyond. anyway, i would be down for some tires.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think it would be a cool idea. It looks like we already have a OEM backrest to start with and we could go bigger each time to increase the value of the raffle.

So Kim are you going to be the treasurer for this where it was your suggestion?

This brings up a separate question I have though. Do any of you folks get a window popping up saying that you have won a gift card from VN750.com? I'm thinking it is a hoax and was just wondering if anyone else gets that as well.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Do any of you folks get a window popping up saying that you have won a gift card from VN750.com? I'm thinking it is a hoax and was just wondering if anyone else gets that as well.
Never seen it on my computer.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I never get the pop-up window with the gift card on my computer either.
The shipping on a raffle item might be pretty costly to get to me in Canada, compared to you all in the lower 48.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I think it would be a cool idea. It looks like we already have a OEM backrest to start with and we could go bigger each time to increase the value of the raffle.

So Kim are you going to be the treasurer for this where it was your suggestion?

This brings up a separate question I have though. Do any of you folks get a window popping up saying that you have won a gift card from VN750.com? I'm thinking it is a hoax and was just wondering if anyone else gets that as well.
Sounds like adware to me. Here in the Commonwealth of Virginia any raffle for profit unless you are a 501c3 charity is considered gambling.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well I dunno much about U.S. laws, but here in Mexico they tweak raffles so they don't need a permit or have to pay taxes. Something like instead of calling it a payment for a ticket, they call it a donation and instead of saying they will hold a raffle they say they will give away a prize. Something like that... maybe someone who knows U.S. laws can apply this kinda concept for the U.S.?

I would support this if you guys can make it happen :) this site is awesome already and it seems like it will keep getting better!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Well, i from what I have read so far, as long as no one profits from the raffle, it is legal. As long as you say that 100% of the money goes towards the website upkeep etc. then I don't see a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Well, i from what I have read so far, as long as no one profits from the raffle, it is legal. As long as you say that 100% of the money goes towards the website upkeep etc. then I don't see a problem.
I have an idea why not send a little money to the administrator and take the information that is floating around here for free as the "door prize".I personally do not play lotteries ,raffles and such but don't care to help the cause and help defray the cost,if you are not a site supporter become one if you are send a little extra if you are in are financially able to do so.

When I ride in a poker run if I win I give it back to the charity we are riding for.
Just my thoughts.Same thing here, a small donation from a small percentage of the members will add up to quite a bit without wondering about legality,the logistics of shipping or if it is all going to the site,JM2C

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I have an idea why not send a little money to the administrator and take the information that is floating around here for free as the "door prize".I personally do not play lotteries ,raffles and such but don't care to help the cause and help defray the cost,if you are not a site supporter become one if you are send a little extra if you are in are financially able to do so.

When I ride in a poker run if I win I give it back to the charity we are riding for.
Just my thoughts.Same thing here, a small donation from a small percentage of the members will add up to quite a bit without wondering about legality,the logistics of shipping or if it is all going to the site,JM2C
This might not be about just supporting the site. Maybe it's a way to get more members to be more involved with the site and their fellow members.

that being said, I do plan on becoming a site supporter when my finances allow. I value everything about this site and the knowledge and experience it provides to all of us for free.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i don't get any pop ups. i have an entire bike frame, final drive, gas tank etc.. i would donate to the cause. no longer have the engine and never had a title but do have missouri patrol papers saying not stolen.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never get the pop up.
Also, I guess i would collect the cash from paypal or something. Everyone would have to "trust me". Tires do sound nice....everyone wants them.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This might not be about just supporting the site. Maybe it's a way to get more members to be more involved with the site and their fellow members.

that being said, I do plan on becoming a site supporter when my finances allow. I value everything about this site and the knowledge and experience it provides to all of us for free.
Its cool man. No worries. Its all about the journey. I think i appreciate life more now that I ride.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thats a good point also! Whats our administrators paypal address?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts