Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently got my first bike and had to take apart the carb to clean it out/ replace the jets. The main jet was already stripped by the previous owner so I used a ez out to remove it. Instead of loosening, (I’m guessing it was seized on) the threading snapped off and now I’m stuck on what to do about getting it out. The hole is too big to try another ez out and I’m worried I’ll have to replace the entire carb. Any advice would be appreciated. I have attached a photo of the problem.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The drilled hole is so far off-center, I'm not sure you're going to get a new jet to seal even if a machine shop could drill it out for you.

Weigh the cost of a replacement carb against the cost of a machine shop getting the old jet out, and factor in the possibility of it still failing to work with a new jet.

It looks like at least a third of the drilled hole is into the wall of the hole. It already had a pilot hole,.... going off-center was bad news for this carb.

An ez out would never work so far off-center.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Oooph. As soon as you've drilled into the threads, any extractor tool inserted into the hole is going to become a lock pin, preventing the part from rotating.
I can't even tell what's going on in the picture. Is the inside silvery part of the front face the shorn-off jet, or is that just where the jet was seated (there's a LOT of damage there if that's supposed to be a mating surface)? What is the angular indentation visible to the left of, and sort of surrounding the drilled hole?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drilled hole is so far off-center, I'm not sure you're going to get a new jet to seal even if a machine shop could drill it out for you.

Weigh the cost of a replacement carb against the cost of a machine shop getting the old jet out, and factor in the possibility of it still failing to work with a new jet.

It looks like at least a third of the drilled hole is into the wall of the hole. It already had a pilot hole,.... going off-center was bad news for this carb.

An ez out would never work so far off-center.
Hey thanks, I don’t think there’s much I can do to fix this. Might as well search for a replacement carb on eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooph. As soon as you've drilled into the threads, any extractor tool inserted into the hole is going to become a lock pin, preventing the part from rotating.
I can't even tell what's going on in the picture. Is the inside silvery part of the front face the shorn-off jet, or is that just where the jet was seated (there's a LOT of damage there if that's supposed to be a mating surface)? What is the angular indentation visible to the left of, and sort of surrounding the drilled hole?
Where the jet broke off, right before the threading, the surrounding metal is the remaining. Originally, I tried the ez out while the carb was still on the bike, drilling upwards into the jet. I think I should have just taken the time to take it out. I read on several forums that an ez out would get the jet out with ease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts