Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a really cool voltmeter that looks just like the speedo and tach!!
Don't ask for pictures cause I have tech difficulties right now.
Anyway...... I read a lot about where to wire it up and people were using the right lamp in the headlight housing. Sounded easy enough to do so I did just that. Not so good!
When I tested at the battery I was getting a solid 14 volts. From the right running light was 1 1/2 volts less!!!
Here is what I did. Under the left plastic cover in front of the tank I found a coil. I tapped into the outside lead for the positive and used the ground in the headlight shell for the right running light.
Now I get the same readings that I did directly from the battery.
Very simple to do andit works bitchin!!!:lockd::lockd:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I just wired directly to the battery and used the headlight feed to close a relay to turn on the meter, no battery drain that way.

Jon

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sounds like you have a voltmeter similar to mine, an old mechanical type. I had similar results as you, even the small bulb in the gauge caused a voltage drop if wired in the same circuit. I ended up wiring the gauge to my heated grip wire harness, which is direct connect to the battery. The bulb is wired into the license plate bulb circuit. I do get a fluctuating voltmeter needle when the grip heaters are on (using a heatroller for them), accurate otherwise.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
I just wired directly to the battery and used the headlight feed to close a relay to turn on the meter, no battery drain that way.

Jon
Jon, what relay did you use and where did you locate it (on the bike)

R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts