Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a voltmeter gauge...would like to see some of your setups.
Let me know where u got yours and how/where u mounted it. Id like to have it up by the dashboard.

Theres alot on ebay and im not sure which to get..but it has to be waterproof.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I've been lazy and I haven't installed mine yet. I really should...

Thanks for the (possible) motivation to do it this weekend.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been lazy and I haven't installed mine yet. I really should...

Thanks for the (possible) motivation to do it this weekend.
Which one did u get? Off ebay or amazon?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1d9926f0&vxp=mtr

Have this one mounted on the handlebar clamp. Wired to the battery, with the ground going through a toggle switch on the frame, between seat and left side cover. I slide my finger under there to hit the switch.

For now I have the wire just dropping down over the bar clamp and under the tank, but the gauge has a hole in the back if I want to run the wire into the bar clamp and keep it more out of sight.

Mounts with sticky back, is waterproof, and accurate. The blue light for 15v lit up when the battery terminal got a bit loose. Stays at 14-14.5v normally. I've left the gauge on for a few days before and didn't kill the battery.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I have the same meter (in Chrome tho) sticky tape mounted on (4 bolt) Bar Clamp (below Kawasaki Logo).
It is plenty bright, easily readable daytime.
I too have it connected thru a relay (my Spark Plug Coil Mod Relay).....which allows the meter to read the battery voltage at all times w/Ignition switch on.

:smiley_th

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
About 6 months ago I couldn't find a time/temp/voltage meter that I liked so I got this caseless one off ebay and had my machinist gin up an aluminum case. While not water proof the control buttons are very tight to the case and under the wind screen, No problems, even at the carwash so far. Voltage is reading high because I just finished a ride and the battery is still settling.

Attachments

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I got my led voltmeter gauge...its got a red positive and black negative wires...whats the best way to wire it up. Obviously if I wire it up directly to battery the gauge will stay lit up all the time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ok I got my led voltmeter gauge...its got a red positive and black negative wires...whats the best way to wire it up. Obviously if I wire it up directly to battery the gauge will stay lit up all the time.
There's an accessory wire in the headlight shell that I think is switched on and off with the ignition switch. Not sure the color but the manual explains it. You could use that for the positive lead and pick up a ground wherever.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I wired mine to the Coil Mod Relay.

:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
The accessory wires in the headlight shell, and the ones in the rear, are NOT switched, but hot all the time. This is what I used, but my voltmeter did not use much power. If yours has lit LEDs, it likely will use more and slowly drain your battery. You can use the accessory wires, but hook up a relay to a switched source (like a front running light) so the meter only comes on when the ignition key is on.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
late to the thrread, but here is what my setup is like:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=429

I used the accessory wires in the headlight bucket to power it.
I also added a relay with a trigger from the running lights up front to ensure it is only powered when the key is turned on.

The whole thing and the relay fit into the headlight bucket.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks..I will try that..gotta order the relay now.

also how long will a fully charged battery hold its charge? As in how fast should it drain..if its sitting on a table with nothing plugged into it..and if its sitting in the bike?

Ive got two batteries..im charging them both and I'm gonna see how long the one on the table holds its charge compared to the one in the bike.

I charged the one in the bike and its been sitting 2 days and the led voltmeter says its at about 12v..(somewhere in between 11 and 13)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Ok thanks..I will try that..gotta order the relay now.

also how long will a fully charged battery hold its charge? As in how fast should it drain..if its sitting on a table with nothing plugged into it..and if its sitting in the bike?

Ive got two batteries..im charging them both and I'm gonna see how long the one on the table holds its charge compared to the one in the bike.

I charged the one in the bike and its been sitting 2 days and the led voltmeter says its at about 12v..(somewhere in between 11 and 13)
12.6 = fully charged
12.5 = 85% charged
12.4 = 65%
12.3 = 50%
12.2 = 35%
12.1 = drained

what type of battery are we talking about?
AGM battery should level off at around 12.6V once it cools down from charging.....and it should remain there for weeks

Wet cell batteries will settle in and drain a little faster, but nothing really noticeable unless there is a drain on it or an internal short in the cells.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts