Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having issues with my VN750 1988. I think the voltage regulator may be going. When idling at about 1000 rpms it is putting out 15.6 volts to the battery. Owned all Honda's previously and the Shadows voltage with rpms up should not break 14.5 or so. Is this true of the VN750's?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I went out and tested the Voltage again. This is weird. It is 14volts idling and drop to 13.8 when you apply throttle. It literally drops when you increase rpms.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
My bike does the same thing. When it starts up and idles high it’ll show 14.x. When I’m riding it’s usually 13.7 thru .9.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue is she starts damn hard. If you put a battery booster on it, she will fire up. When all charged the battery is 13.1 volts. She will start hard, backfire. I finally found in the dealer tech book that the coils at primary are to be around 1.9 - 2.2 ohms, secondary coils are 19k-29k ohms. Air flow is good, so if that checks out I am thinking carburetor ... I did buy a rebuild kit. Plug wires are really worn and floppy though.

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
15.6v is pretty high, which could mean the RR has a problem. The other voltages listed are acceptable.

The starter could be drawing too many amps when hot, which in turn causes low voltage to the ignition, which will cause backfiring on this bike.

We always recommend an agm type battery to help with cranking voltage. But an amp draw test on the starter might be needed, and also a load test on the battery.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Check your yellow wire junction plug from the stator for corrosion of you haven't cut it out yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts