Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
I really like the second one with a clock and stopwatch built in.

"Other functions include a high accuracy digital readout showing the start-up/running condition of your battery, a clock, stopwatch, lap counter and ice alert thermometer."

I wonder how difficult that would be to hook up to our bikes? Would it just connet wires to each terminal on the battery?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the LED gauge (first pic) I used the accessory wires in the headlight bucket and added a switch so i could turn it off. The only complaint I have is the adhesive tape gave up after a year of riding

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I have the second one connected directly to the battery and via switched hot for the LED's.

It's great, EXCEPT, it is not water proof so rain and washing are definitely an issue.

Jon

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have the first one, I like it but it is bright.
I put some window tint over the LED's, I can still see it in the day and at night it is not to blinding.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Water is deffinetly an issue. So logically the first one is the better choice but that second one is quite cool if you could figure out a way to waterproof it. Clear Plastic case or something.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
When I finally get around to making myself a dash I'll put a round boat voltmeter in it.

Who woulda known this bike would be such a project (amazing what a functional bike allows ya to add to it ;g). Voltmeter, windshield, LED everything, H pipe and dynas, mustang seat, passenger backrest and more still need to be added... all to a $1000 bike.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I have the KuryAkyn on my Vulcan 750 and as Chad states, it is freaking bright. Very distracting at night. But it is a lifesaver!!! When I went through my dreaded stator failure coming home from the 2004 Gathering, this meter saved me some serious walking as I was able to watch the decline of my electrical system rather then just having it happen. Here is how I mounted it... http://www.bulldogsbike.com/KAvoltmeter.htm. I wired this one into the turn signal leads in the headlight housing with no ill effects and no noticable varation in readings on the bike. I went for simple...

Now, to do something different on the Nomad, I went with the Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Meter. http://www.bulldogsbike.com/nomadmods.htm#huvm. This one I really like because it is a single multi colored LED and auto dims itself. I have it right between the handlebar clamps built into a switch box on my bike and I really like how it is not in the way nor distracting. Chad got a bad one when he tried it but so far mine is working 100%. Going on my 2nd year with it, I still think I made the right choice. This is wired directly into my accessory power distribution block that I added to the bike to give me a direct to battery reading. A little more work but not too bad as I was running new wiring at the time.

That one with all the functions is too big for any application that I would use it for. Another thing, it is NOT waterproof. I've gotten caught in some serious downpours on both bikes and doubt that the unit would still be around if I had it on one of my scoots. But for me, the main reason I've never tried it is because of looks and it has more then I need or want. It is also hard to read at speed where teh KuryAkyn and the Signal Dynamics units I use are color based and give you a quick look aprasial of what is going on.

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have the first one and installed it on the handle bar mount. the led's are not to bright as I angled them down. they show during the day by leaning back and at night just a quick glance shows the charging system condition.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've got the KA led meter mounted much the same as bulldog. I also have found the brightness of the LEDs to be distracting at night. Was also thinking of using some window tint.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I've got the KA led meter mounted much the same as bulldog. I also have found the brightness of the LEDs to be distracting at night. Was also thinking of using some window tint.
The window tint trick is popular as it does knock down the brightness and doesn't seem to affect the apearance of the chrome on the unit. Just be sure to cut out a hole for the light sensor :p

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I cut the tin to fit just over the LED window, it is not on the chrome or covering the light sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got the second one as well. Being a cheap guy, I actually cut out the molded clear plastic packaging that the meter came in, and taped the halves together with electrical tape with the meter in it. Very waterproof. The clock has its own will and jumps by 1hr so I am not relying on it. Maybe I should have exchanged it for a new one but all I wanted was a voltmeter. It works great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts