Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an unsteady voltage issues. But when I rev the bike the RPMs go up and the voltage goes down a half a volt. Then when I hit the brakes with the RPM's up the voltage goes up. it obviously is grounding through the bulbs and bringing the voltage up so it would appear as if there was a ground issue however all of my main large grounds are doing just fine are there any secondary grounds that I could check?

·
Registered
579 Posts
your secondary ground as you call it, are hooked to your main ground. As a electronic tech it sounds like the rectifier which is only two diodes going in a certain direction may be leaking or the voltage regulator is goofing up. I have never taken the regulator off the bike but if it uses the ground on the frame and regulator you may have corrosion between the place where it is mounted causing your goofiness.

It is like if you can't crank your car because you have dirty terminals and you are not where you can clean them, try turning on your radio first and then crank the car. generally this will cause the car to crank. I have done this personally and it works.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not aware if the rr is case case grounded. Perhaps someone can chime in.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I'm not aware if the rr is case case grounded. Perhaps someone can chime in.
Nope not case grounded. Mine is zip tied to the frame

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Solves that. Sigh.......

I did however get 16 million ohms resistance on two of the three stator leads and I could not make that change by moving any of the wiring around. I know that is miniscule and could be magnetic At that high resistance but unsure. I only unplugged one at a time so it's likely magnetic.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Aren't you supposed to test the leads to each other?

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the stator you frame ground each one to check for continuity the ground to see if it is shorted. Regardless I did find my issue and it was a ground. I have now had four electrical issues with this bike all of them causing extremely hard starting and backfiring and after fixing the electrical issue having absolutely perfect running and starting within just half a rotation so I have proven 90% at least of the starting issues with this particular bike are electrical and not mechanical which is something that I continued to see when I have issues. 2 times I had wires melt off the RR and twice I've had issues with the main wiring. all of them caused the same effect so anyone that has these hard starts and backfiring should always do their electrical first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts