Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Vulcan with the Suzuki Savage 650 rear shocks. Im noticing a little dragging when you lean it over on tight turns. Im thinking it may be the center stand thats hitting. Will do some checking. With the pre load turned up, I have not had a problem with bottoming yet and im pushing the 200 mark. (maybe even a little more now!!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Savage shocks

They are 10.5 inches center eye to center eye. What I like about them is the appearance is very close to the stock shocks but smaller overall. Straight bolt on. No mods!!!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
Maybe you wouldn't drag if you didn't ride upside down lol

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheJabberWoggy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heya olefart,

Looks good! How is the clearance between the rear tire and fender? And how does it handle on the road?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
" Stock are 12.5" eye to eye" There are a reason for this. When you start changing things you will run into problems. Also, the LS650 shocks do not have the load carrying capacity of the Vulcan shocks. The Vulcan is a much larger heavier bike. I'd like to see someone put Rebel 250 shocks on it and then wonder why the rear fender rubbed on the tire. At 240 pounds, plus a lot of cargo, I need longer stronger shocks. I am almost at the max load limit with no passenger. Believe it or not, the 1984-1987 Goldwing Interstate only had a load capacity of 400 pounds. Much of what could have been load capacity was taken up by the fairing and luggage.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
" Stock are 12.5" eye to eye" There are a reason for this. When you start changing things you will run into problems. Also, the LS650 shocks do not have the load carrying capacity of the Vulcan shocks. The Vulcan is a much larger heavier bike. I'd like to see someone put Rebel 250 shocks on it and then wonder why the rear fender rubbed on the tire. At 240 pounds, plus a lot of cargo, I need longer stronger shocks. I am almost at the max load limit with no passenger. Believe it or not, the 1984-1987 Goldwing Interstate only had a load capacity of 400 pounds. Much of what could have been load capacity was taken up by the fairing and luggage.
The Savage shocks work fine, but are the opposite of what you say. They actually are stiffer than the Vulcan shocks and the only thing that needs to be moved is the rectifier. Just because a bike is rated at a different wright limit has nothing to do with the rate of the shock springs. There's other factors such as the ratio of the swingarm to the shock mounts. I put a set of lowered shocks from a Sportster (which worked fine on my Vulcan) on an xs400 that was stripped down and weighed about 340lbs and they bottomed easily. A Sportster weighs over 500 lbs... Also move the forks up in the tubes some to balance out the rake. You will also need to heat up the kickstand with a map torch as it will be too long. I rode my Vulcan like this with no bottoming or handling issues. Please do some research on issues you know nothing of, as others have done this mods as well. By the way, motorcycle manufacturers underrate the weight carrying capacity of their motorcycles for legal reasons.

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
Savage shocks are actually stiffer than Vulcan shocks. There's a little thing called spring rates. You can have a lighter bike with higher spring rates because there are other factors at play here. The ratio of the swingarm to the shock. I put the 10.5 inch progressive shocks that I had on my Vulcan (from a 500 lb Sportster) on a stripped down xs400 that weighs a little over 300 lbs, and guess what? They bottomed out easily, on a bike that weighs 200 lbs less than the bike they were made for. Please do a little research before you speak. I weigh about 185 in these picks and have almost 200 lbs on the bike. It felt unloaded. They are also the Savage shocks

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
What he said ^ (twice it seems) ;)

The biggest issue with lowering the rear is cornering clearance and as mentioned the kick stand. Lowering the rear effectively increases rake, which is the same as extending the forks. In theory this would “slow” the steering, but no ones reported this as a problem. Decreasing the rake, or making the steering “quicker” could have bad results but I’ve not seen anyone do this on the Vulcan, which has slower steering than say a sport bike, so you’d have to raise the rear pretty far before bad things happen.

You can also lower the bike by moving the lower shock mounting point farther back, which allows you to keep the stock shocks. They used to make kits that did this, but most folks just use shorter shocks. (As the stock units suck anyway)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
What he said ^ (twice it seems) ;)

The biggest issue with lowering the rear is cornering clearance and as mentioned the kick stand. Lowering the rear effectively increases rake, which is the same as extending the forks. In theory this would “slow” the steering, but no ones reported this as a problem. Decreasing the rake, or making the steering “quicker” could have bad results but I’ve not seen anyone do this on the Vulcan, which has slower steering than say a sport bike, so you’d have to raise the rear pretty far before bad things happen.

You can also lower the bike by moving the lower shock mounting point farther back, which allows you to keep the stock shocks. They used to make kits that did this, but most folks just use shorter shocks. (As the stock units suck anyway)
Slide the forks up an inch in triple trees to bring the rake back. Only about an inch is needed. Also need to move the rectifier. Cornering clearance isn't that bad. It isn't gonna handle like a gsxr, but I still could ride aggressively. Must also remove the centerstand

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
The lowering kit isn't hard to make either

1 - 13 of 13 Posts