Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm just wondering how the VN750 compares to other bikes in a similar category, like the Yamaha V Star, for example... I don't know too much about cruiser bike models, but maybe you guys can enlighten me... what are better models than the Vulcan? What are those to avoid?

My VN700 is turning out to be a great experience, but I'm definitely selling it as soon as I get it in shape. I'll be getting another one though, and I'd like to know more about these bikes. I'll be getting a used bike, no money for a new one.

So the more info, the better. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You might like the Honda Magna 750 if you have a need for speed.

DT

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, that actually looks pretty good to me!

I'm not really looking for speed. I'm looking for something that is very reliable that I can commute daily in and maybe take a road trip on some weekends.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Hey, that actually looks pretty good to me!

I'm not really looking for speed. I'm looking for something that is very reliable that I can commute daily in and maybe take a road trip on some weekends.
That's what I do with the VN750. I do have an aftermarket seat, which to me is a great improvement over stock.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Man, you asked a tough question. There are a lot of great bikes out there, and used will depend totally on how they've been serviced. Every bike has it's issues and it all depends on what you want. As far as better bikes than the Vulcan, it would be hard to say, depending on how much you wanted to spend. For the money, I'm pretty biased in my thinking that you get more for the money with a Vulcan Model XXX than just about any other bike made. As far as the class the VN750 is in and how it compares to other bikes, it crosses other classifications and competes with bikes up to the 1500CC range as far as equipment and performance. Not many bikes can say that. See how many bikes you can find that are shaft drive, have a centerstand, all the gauges and temp meter, fuel gauge, liquid cooled, hydraulic valve adjustment, dual front disc brakes etc. that are in the same class. You won't find any. So comparing any other bike to the 750 is apples to oranges. If you're willing to give up some options, there are a ton of bikes out there that might make you happy.

Are you looking to move up to a larger bike, or stay in the same weight class? That alone will narrow it down considerably. Suzuki has a couple bikes that can compete in performance in the used category around the 800 CC class. But like I said, you'll have to decide what you want to give up and what you want and try to do a lot of research and hopefully some riding to find out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I say hold on to the VN750. I commuted on one year round for a year and a half. It is a quick and responsive bike, well suited to riding in traffic. Those same attributes also make excellent for a weekend ride on back roads and twisties. Also, you will not find another bike with suport like you will find here, from parts to technical knowledge and more, these guys are your one stop shop.:smiley_th

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are some great answers... I guess I'm still leaning towards getting another Vulcan. I'm only selling this one cause I got it so cheap I can make a nice profit and because I'd like a newer one.

My plan is basically to put it up for sale at a higher price. If it sells I make a profit and I can get a newer one. If it doesn't, I still have the bike anyway. So I don't lose anything in any situation.

I do like the Vulcan so far :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'll chime back in and agree; I've been riding anything on two wheels since 1968, big and small cc's, street, dirt and race bikes. I've had my vn 10 years now and still like it. That's got to say something about this bike.

DT

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well said Fergy! I love this bike and it comes with so many features that other bikes just don't have. To me, it's the best of everything!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! Then I think I'll either keep it or sell and get a newer one.

What are those features that other bikes don't have?

I have no experience with other cruiser type bikes, so I dunno...

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Welcome Ceal,

The VN7xx's come standard with all of these features while most bikes these days will have few of but not all of: Center stand, tachometer, fuel gauge, hazard lights, hydraulic valve adjusters, tubeless tires, shaft drive, liquid cooling, dual front disk brakes.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for that info! I didn't even know that the tires were tubeless... great to know, since I'll have to order them soon.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I had a centerstand on my KZ's then the 750. No centerstand on the 1500 and man do I miss that. Might be the biggest thing of all. No centerstand, no tubeless tires (spoked wheels almost always have tubes whereas mag wheels almost always have tubeless tires), no temp gauge, no tach, single front disc brake... It is still liquid cooled plus fins, still shaft drive, hydraulic valve lash adjusters, but most cruisers are missing a bunch of stuff the 750 has. One big plus is the 02 1500 has a big stator and twin regulator/rectifiers for powering more lights/accessories. (if they had redesigned the 750 in the early 2000 time frame I'll bet that would have been on the list)

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
how do you know if it overheats then?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I forgot to mention that it flies!
LOL, you don't have to be loud to "scream"!
love my 86. would like a bigger bike for long trips though but would still have to keep the vulcan for everyday and commuting to work!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
how do you know if it overheats then?
I think it has a temperature light on the tank/gauge cluster thingie, but I don't know why they just didn't put a temp gauge.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The vulcan 800 is in the same class. I really don't know much about this bike other than I like it's looks, price tag and bigger gas tank. Can someone with some experience with this bike weigh in.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
The vulcan 800 is in the same class. I really don't know much about this bike other than I like it's looks, price tag and bigger gas tank. Can someone with some experience with this bike weigh in.
I have ridden both and while the 800 is a little more comfy in general ,the 750 will flat out eat it's lunch ,acceleration,stopping and cornering,but they are really apples and oranges.As far as the same class of bike the Suzuki Intruder line and the mid sized Honda Shadows and the Sportsters have more in common,style and performance wise.If I trade up I am Going the route fergy took, a bigger more comfortable over the long haul,V twin bagger style.I know i am odd man out here but the Vulcan 2000's belt Drive is more appealing to me than the shaft,But that's just me.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I find it really cool how the 750 will outperform lots of other bikes with bigger engines... It's no crotch rocket, but it's a very nice performer it seems. Kinda makes me a bit disappointed about bikes with bigger engines though lol. But I suppose if you want a LOT of speed, you should ride on a sports bike instead.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts