Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my father-in-law wants to buy a bike. he's been looking at the Suzuki 800 (c50). he has one picked out and as soon as he gets his temps, he's going to bring it home.
well, last night he starts talking smack. he tells me that after he brings the Suzuki 800 home, that I need to take it for a ride and see how "little of a bike" mine (vn750) is!
I told him, after you bring home your 800, you can take my vn750 out for a ride and then tell me how "little of a bike it is"!
so what do you think? in a race between the vn750 and a Suzuki 800, what would happen? does he have room to shoot his mouth off or would I smack him down?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've never raced a 800 Suzuki, but I have a Friend with a 1500 Suzuki Intruder. My little old 700, showed him nothing but a big rear tire that kept getting smaller, as I pulled away.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Suzuki C50:
PERFORMANCE
Wet weight 641
Fuel mileage: 33 to 53 mpg, 44.2 mpg average
Quarter-mile acceleration: 15.61 sec., 82.5 mph

Kawasaki 750 Vulcan Speciifcations & Performance: - Wet weight: 544 lbs. - - Fuel mileage: 46.1 mpg - 1/4 mile acceleration: 13.98 sec., 93.1 mph

No contest really , the Suzuk weighs in at a 100 lbs more, and is almost 2 seconds behind in the 1/4 mile and 10 mph slower.

Go ahead and nail his ass to the wall...

KM

·
Registered
56 Posts
I owned a 1990 VX800, and never liked the feel of it. It's hard to explain, but the exhaust sound was dull as was the acceleration (or lack there of).

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
my father-in-law wants to buy a bike... so what do you think? in a race between the vn750 and a Suzuki 800, what would happen? does he have room to shoot his mouth off or would I smack him down?
Hmmm. Good questions. From a bike-vs-bike viewpoint, the Vulcan will blow the Suzuki away. But from a relational viewpoint (i.e. whether or not you should smack him down)... I guess I would need to know how close you are to your father-in-law!!! ;)

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Hmmm. Good questions. From a bike-vs-bike viewpoint, the Vulcan will blow the Suzuki away. But from a relational viewpoint... I guess I would need to know how close you are to your father-in-law!!! ;)
He already married the girl. When it comes to our bikes I don't think that will factor in.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
He already married the girl. When it comes to our bikes I don't think that will factor in.
I respectfully disagree! If a marriage is "until we are parted by death" -- there's a lot to consider! In any case, once the two ride together, the truth will be self evident!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I actually took my dad's Volusia for a spin today. It is pretty much the same bike as the C50. Honestly, I was not that impressed. The Suzuki felt much slower to me. It seems to have a lot less low end torque. However, because the center of gravity is so much lower, it felt a lot more stable.

I definitely prefer my Vulcan 750.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I respectfully disagree! If a marriage is "until we are parted by death" -- there's a lot to consider! In any case, once the two ride together, the truth will be self evident!
I am sure they get along well and a bike race is not going to get in the way of thier relationship. IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All things being equal. The VN750 is the better bike on paper. However, the Suzuki does have the generic "Is that a Harley" look." I own an '03 and the PO changed to a synth oil that the clutch HATES and I get the "coffee grinder" every time the bike is cold (I'll change the oil shortly). After a 20 year production run, that's a pretty small gripe list! I wish you the best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
My friends had 2 of them,So when i got Nancy running,i tooked there.The hook up,they gave all the stuff not using to bring it to condition,after an oil change,Tony the most experince rider,and mechanic,tooked for a spin.Quote"this thing is really fast,i will blow us away,i got 75 on 3rd gear."also Tony's C 50 has Cobra pipes & power commander.You can draw your conclusion now,i already did.my is factory stock.Let him win for now,remember that you have to sit at the same table for holidays ocasions.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Thank you I did not know that. I thought Suzuki just rebadged their line.

They did, and it gets a bit confusing. The bike you are talking about is now called the S50. This is a lighter , carbed version of the C50 ...with a bit higher compression and , diffrent looks. Could not find a 1/4 mile time for this particular model. But some info here:
http://tinyurl.com/6ja245

Weighing in at 443lbs and with the higher compression , I would wager it would give the Vulcan a run for it's money.

The "C" series of bikes are kinder gentler and heavier versions. I think they make a M50...but it unfortunetly shares the same engine with the C50...so although it looks faster, it ain't.

KM

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My friends had 2 of them,So when i got Nancy running,i tooked there.The hook up,they gave all the stuff not using to bring it to condition,after an oil change,Tony the most experince rider,and mechanic,tooked for a spin.Quote"this thing is really fast,i will blow us away,i got 75 on 3rd gear."also Tony's C 50 has Cobra pipes & power commander.You can draw your conclusion now,i already did.my is factory stock.Let him win for now,remember that you have to sit at the same table for holidays ocasions.
believe me, I won't forget that I have to sit at the same table for holidays. the table we sit at for most of the holidays mine! so, if I have to put him in his place.....so be it!

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
I say let the old guy have his dreams, (speaking from the perspective of an old guy). If he wants to bluff and bluster about how fast his bike is let him. If he insists on racing be charitable. Remember he's your wife's father and some day when your kid grows up and marries you might be in his place.

Just my 2 cents.

R

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is a quote from Motorcycle Cruiser. "The Vulcan 750 has quite a bit to offer when you throw a leg over it. Power is good; only the Suzuki 800 outruns it in its class". Article

1 - 20 of 37 Posts