Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my VN750 out for a ride came back to the house. I stopped the bike, shut it off was gone not even for a minute. Came back, started the bike and rode off. Got about 100 yards down the street and the bike started to pop and backfire no RPMs. Barely managed to get back around the block to the house. Shut the bike off called a riding buddy to compare notes. Five minutes later I started the bike like nothing ever happened, RPM normal.

I recently had the carbs reworked, the plugs changed and the tank drained. Since then I have made a point of not letting my bike sit more than a couple days without riding. Using the Seafoam, too. I'm going riding this weekend and I would like to know if this was a passing glitch or am I facing a breakdown on the road.

Any ideas?

Butch

·
2,527 Posts
Gremlins? Get a gremlin bell. lol

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Could have been some crud in the carb that settled or worked its way out. Hard to say. You said the tank was drained. Was there any rust in it?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Check the vent on the gas cap also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 750 has done the same. Sometimes goes months w/o trouble. When it does it, I open the drains on the carbs and the problem seems to go away. I have cleaned out the tank and filters and I think there are gremlins in the Chevron Station's tank!

·
Registered
32 Posts
fuel injector cleaner works a treat tip a bottle in your tank and cleans the whole system

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Sounds like maybe a little water got in from maybe some bad gas or something similar. Or it could have been a bit of crud. If there is any rust forming in the tank I would take care of that asap. You're already using seafoam which I highly recommend so unless it keeps happening on and off, I'd chalk it up to a gremlin. If it happens again, especially soon, I'd drain the tank into something you can inspect for bits of crud, rust or water in the fuel.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Took my VN750 out for a ride came back to the house. I stopped the bike, shut it off was gone not even for a minute. Came back, started the bike and rode off. Got about 100 yards down the street and the bike started to pop and backfire no RPMs. Barely managed to get back around the block to the house. Shut the bike off called a riding buddy to compare notes. Five minutes later I started the bike like nothing ever happened, RPM normal.

I recently had the carbs reworked, the plugs changed and the tank drained. Since then I have made a point of not letting my bike sit more than a couple days without riding. Using the Seafoam, too. I'm going riding this weekend and I would like to know if this was a passing glitch or am I facing a breakdown on the road.

Any ideas?

Butch
First, I would check the gas vent and vent line for signs of blockage (POOGS), since the process only takes a few minutes. Then check the battery connections.

The symptoms described have happened to me three times. The first time turn out to be full blown POOGS, second was a loose negative battery connection and the last was a mystery, but has never returned (I considered it to be water or some other contaminant in the fuel).

·
Registered
97 Posts

Any ideas?

Butch
I'm going to take a different approach from your other answers and say I believe it's an electrical problem.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I'm going to take a different approach from your other answers and say I believe it's an electrical problem.
A loose ground or corroded connection could cause it to run and backfire this way. Usually won't "repair" it's self though... Maybe a shorting throttle cable against spark plug wires? Good point though. It could be electrical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts