Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
my vn 750 from 1988 has run out on the highway, with a brand new batt; no electrical function, even the gps switcht to internal batt. i checked the fuses, teh wires and the att. on the battery, all seems ok (i coud not mesure, but i think the batt was completely draind.) Is the alternator dead?

·
Registered
25 Posts
AJCruzin just replaced the stator, rectifier & battery on my VN. He can give some good tips on this matter. The bike rocks now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 86, but I've had to replace my stator 4 different times (I bought the bike 10 years ago and the bike only has 38,000 miles on it).

·
Registered
56 Posts
did the stator problem ever get resolved on the later years bikes ?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I don't think so... I have an 06 and for the first time on a motor vehicle I took out the extended warranty till 2011 I think... My dealer did me right on it I think, I paid for 2yrs. and he paid the difference to 4yrs...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
56 Posts
can an extended warranty be bought for let's say a 2004 ?

Thanks

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
can an extended warranty be bought for let's say a 2004 ?Thanks
I think you have to buy the extended warranty before your Orig. 12 mo. warranty expires...:(...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
56 Posts
oops, I meant a warranty that is offered after the original expires, sort of what they do with cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stator Blues

I haven't posted in a while, but here I am again. I got an 85' VN 700. Her appearence is virtually flawless. She runs out great. With gas prices like they are, 50 mpg is just what the doctor ordered. All that being said, I'm about to embark on stator replacement number three (over 5 yrs, 25k miles). I see the links for the stator cover mod ($450), not sure if that's any cheaper than having it done at a shop. Has anyone noticed that the frame split on the right side of the bike would be much more useful on the left?
I'm glad to see methods tested that don't involve complete removal of the engine, but this is still a big undertaking. I remember a Post by Beavis that showed an electrical mod to reduce or eliminate Rf noise from the cooling fan. I wonder how that panned out. I guess I'm just disgusted with having no problems out of this bike for 6 yrs eccept for the staor failure every so often. I'm can't bring myself to sell her, but I'm tired what seems to be patching her until she fails again.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
....All that being said, I'm about to embark on stator replacement number three (over 5 yrs, 25k miles). I see the links for the stator cover mod ($450), not sure if that's any cheaper than having it done at a shop. Has anyone noticed that the frame split on the right side of the bike would be much more useful on the left?.
....I remember a Post by Beavis that showed an electrical mod to reduce or eliminate Rf noise from the cooling fan. I wonder how that panned out....
Bummer about yet another stator change you need to do. Have you checked it yourself, or do you have the shop do it? Have you checked and/or replaced the R/R?

As for the stator cover mod from TOC, sure woulda been useful to you to have bought it with your first stator change, but who'd think they'd need to do the stator twice, let alone 3 time??!!

Don't know what ever came of Beavis's mod. Are you a member of the Yahoo group? He's over there more than here.

Wish ya luck on whatever ya do with this stator replacement :beerchug:

Oh, and as for the left frame rail being like the right one. Yep, it sure would be MUCH more useful that way.
I almost cut & welded in a piece off a donor frame to make the left side removable, but never did.
There is a couple people who have done it. One being Edalbris, who has a bunch of pics in the gallery of how he did it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have now been sidelined by the stator going out on my 86 vulcan. I have plans to replace the stator during the thanksgiving break. Other then having to order the stator, is there any other gaskets or parts that i should order in advance? I am planning on having the repair complete in 3 days.

·
24 Posts
Stator Replacement

Replaced the stator on my 2005 this past week. Not the easiest of jobs, but found the Clymer's manual to be the best help to me.

I used the ElectroSport stator which appears to be far superior to the original Kawi part.

Bike runs great now and has plenty of "juice" to run the electrical system.

UPDATE:
Damn Electrosport stator failed after 2 months! Replaced the RR and ordered new stator from RM Stator in Quebec. Electrosport is undergoing ownership change and can't supply right now. PITA! Wouldn't use one of theirs again anyway. My dealer has arranged for a refund from their distributor however, so at least I get my money back towards the new unit.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Ok so i am still new to this forum. I have been reading up on the STATOR issue.
I have a few questions, and forgive me if they have already been answered in other threads.

1. Is there a How to or pics/documentation on replacing the stator?
2. Can i get more info on this stator cover mod?
3. What is this R/R that i keep reading about, and what/where do i need to relocate it to?

I have a sealed battery, but i would also like to get one of them voltmeters, where can i buy one, how do you go about hooking that up and where would you suggest install it?

Again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope. My bike is sitting in the barn gathering dust because of the stator. I have an '06 with around 6000 miles on it :BLAM:

I was going to see if I could trade it in on another bike until I read the posting about the TOC cover modification. I really like my bike, and being a height challenged person...it's one of the few bikes I feel really comfortable on. No tippy toes for me at stop signs....nosirreee.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Ok so i am still new to this forum. I have been reading up on the STATOR issue.
I have a few questions, and forgive me if they have already been answered in other threads.

1. Is there a How to or pics/documentation on replacing the stator?
2. Can i get more info on this stator cover mod?
3. What is this R/R that i keep reading about, and what/where do i need to relocate it to?

I have a sealed battery, but i would also like to get one of them voltmeters, where can i buy one, how do you go about hooking that up and where would you suggest install it?

Again thanks for your help.
1. If you don't already have one, a service manual is real handy for anything you want to fix on the bike. There is a downloadable manual here, specific to each year model, but it is a large file. I didn't find pics of the stator replacement, but they may be in someone's personal gallery. Here are some threads from the verses: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170 and http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1149

2. Go to TOC Manufacturing, there are some pics of the modified cover there.

3. The stock location for the Regulator/Rectifier is directly under the battery box. Many R/Rs (and frames) have been badly damaged by battery acid, which is one reason AGM batteries are recommended. The stock location also sits just above the "Goat's Belly", which is part of the stock exhaust and creates a hot environment for the R/R. The R/R gets very hot as it dissapates excess electricity produced by the stator. Excess heat is thought to contribute to premature R/R failure, so many folks relocate it. Most attach it to the left passenger peg bracket with a custom bracket (see technical gallery for pics). The R/R is about 3" square, has a six plug connector, is grayish black or silver, and has fins to dissapate heat.

lance has posted a link to the seller on ebay where he gets his voltmeters. If you do an ebay search for 12 volt tractor voltmeters, you should find it. Runs around $12 + shipping. Most folks mount it between the tach and speedo. lance has a good tutorial on making a housing from 2" PVC. I'm an electrical dunce, so I'll let someone else tell you how to hook it up.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another Stator Replaced

Yeah I to have surcumed to stator failure.:doh: I have replaced it myself. Thanks to this forum and the yahoo group. Installed Kuryakyn volt meter and will be doing a r/r relocation along with a degoating job. Thanks to all for the information. Manual wasn't as helpful as you guys. While I had her apart did spline job, replaced rear gear oil, spark plugs and all fluids.

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Now my baby has been running great. Meter shows in the green almost all the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone have a list of all the gaskets and stuff a person should order to go along with a Stator replacement. I would like to assume since mine is a 1995 that anything I remove will need a new replacement.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts