Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, so I just took my 97 Vulcan into the shop, and got it estimated at 917 USD to get it running, among other small details. Is this a fair price for what it's going through? I need to cut some costs as I'm poor lately, and 917 will probably break my bank.. I only have 1130 or so to my name, so.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
The invoice you added doesn’t seem to pull up well atleast on my iPhone but I found away around it. As far as if it’s fair. Hard to say yet because it depends on if they find more problems in the carbs or elsewhere. Why are the lining the tank? Is it something you asked for or is there actual damage to it? I don’t often use repair shops so I’m not a wealth of info on all this

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Based on the numbers 917 and 1130 alone, my advice is, don't do it.

You could still end up with a bike that doesn't run, and you'll be broke also.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're lining the tank because it has some rust issues I couldn't solve on my own, even with the advice on here and other forums. I managed to knock down a few things like the rear assembly and RR on the switch, since I know I won't be needing that. I got it down to about 780, which is more reasonable in my eyes. I just really hope they can make it run and I'm not broke AND out a working vehicle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unless I had a deep emotional attachment to the bike (like making my first kid with the misses bent over it), no way would I pay $917 (which is just an estimate, frequently winds up more than that as they tear into it and discover more). Routinely see lower mileage, well kept, excellent running condition VN750's anywhere from $1000-2000. Personally it it were me I'd keep your existing VN750 as a parts bike and take the $1100 and go buy another. Speaking of which, I "think" Shark88 is still selling his (2005 excellent condition with some extra's) for $1300 in central PA? Check it out here...

http://www.vn750.com/forum/17-sell-swap/98146-my-05-still-sale.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to get the price lowered, to a point that it's a little more manageable. I just have to get this HVAC job now, else I'm totally screwed on rent.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
The PO had my bike's tank lined by the dealership (Kreem?) just before I bought it because they told him it needed it. Within a few months, the liner was coming loose with rust under it. I removed the liner and removed the rust with The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Took two bottles at around $1.50 each to get all the rust. No holes and the inside is shiny bright. Just do an internet search on The Works for how it's done. I did a write up here years ago, but not sure where it is.

You also might want to consider Caswell epoxy tank sealer: Gas Tank Sealer - Caswell Inc It actually adheres better to rust and the tank won't ever rust again. If the tank has pinholes, just tape over them before using the Caswell.

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
The PO had my bike's tank lined by the dealership (Kreem?) just before I bought it because they told him it needed it. Within a few months, the liner was coming loose with rust under it. I removed the liner and removed the rust with The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Took two bottles at around $1.50 each to get all the rust. No holes and the inside is shiny bright. Just do an internet search on The Works for how it's done. I did a write up here years ago, but not sure where it is.

You also might want to consider Caswell epoxy tank sealer: Gas Tank Sealer - Caswell Inc It actually adheres better to rust and the tank won't ever rust again. If the tank has pinholes, just tape over them before using the Caswell.
wow talk about a blast from the past...how ya been?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Doing well, thanks.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
There’s a perfectly running vn750 at a pawn shop beside me for $550 cash. So, no. Secondly tanks on ebay that won’t keep peeling and screwing up are only $150. So - again no.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I mean sure, but those tanks aren't custom painted like mine is. So that's an added cost to a tank that may or may not be ****ty. Secondly, you're in a different area than me. I only see one other Vulcan in my area and that costs about 1,300 bucks right now. Anything else is sold like new. Vulcans are rare in my area.

I already went through with the repairs because honestly, I had tax returns left to burn on it, and it's custom to my liking. I've already put in my time with it to restore it to something much better than it was when I got it, I was just too lazy to put forth the effort to finish it. Those farkin' carbs, man. Already cleaned them 3 times, was not doing it again.

Sure call me an idiot for spending that kind of cash when there's a Vulcan sold at 200 bucks across the country, but my current situation and my attachment to the bike won't allow it. I made this thread more as a way to see if I should pay the shop to finish my hard labor, or finish it myself. I chose the latter because I was done with working on it myself. Didn't really come here to be told to scrap the bike and get someone else's piece of trash that I'd have to do the same work to.

EDIT: Good lord dude, there's only ONE tank on ebay for 140 bucks that's even remotely close to being usable. The others are all rusted to hell or dented beyond usability. No TANK you.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
What general area are you located? Mainly just thinking about weather, but this is pretty much universal...

Once the carbs are right, give it the correct dose of seafoam in the tank, twice per season, and before storage if stored wet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in Virginia Beach, like a 5 minute drive from the beach. I've used Seafoam before and it's been good to me, so I plan on doing just that once the shop gets me on my feet. Should hear something by Monday, and should be riding that Saturday if all goes well.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
1 close to useable? Lol. If you can’t work on your own bike and you’re more worried about custom paint than a gas tank the inside isn’t falling out of repeatedly, then i guess there’s only one tank. Different strokes for different folks. Hopefully your purchased repairs hold up and you enjoy trouble free riding. Upcoming season and all. Time for some sun and wind.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,712 Posts
I mean sure, but those tanks aren't custom painted like mine is. So that's an added cost to a tank that may or may not be ****ty. Secondly, you're in a different area than me. I only see one other Vulcan in my area and that costs about 1,300 bucks right now. Anything else is sold like new. Vulcans are rare in my area.

I already went through with the repairs because honestly, I had tax returns left to burn on it, and it's custom to my liking. I've already put in my time with it to restore it to something much better than it was when I got it, I was just too lazy to put forth the effort to finish it. Those farkin' carbs, man. Already cleaned them 3 times, was not doing it again.

Sure call me an idiot for spending that kind of cash when there's a Vulcan sold at 200 bucks across the country, but my current situation and my attachment to the bike won't allow it. I made this thread more as a way to see if I should pay the shop to finish my hard labor, or finish it myself. I chose the latter because I was done with working on it myself. Didn't really come here to be told to scrap the bike and get someone else's piece of trash that I'd have to do the same work to.

EDIT: Good lord dude, there's only ONE tank on ebay for 140 bucks that's even remotely close to being usable. The others are all rusted to hell or dented beyond usability. No TANK you.
Hey! He said "Farkin'"! watch it buddy, I resemble that word! :wink2:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Hey! He said "Farkin'"! watch it buddy, I resemble that word! :wink2:
good ole Farky

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never said I couldn't work on my own bike... my own work shaved off about 2000 extra in costs. I'm just done with tearing out carbs every time I go back to the bike.

And yes, I care quite a bit about custom paint. Especially when that paint holds close meaning to me because of the guy who did it, And how he made it. That and, I don't want two green fenders and a black and red tank, that just sounds nasty. So far the tank would hold up on its own without the lining, just thought "Eh, why not for some peace of mind." Granted I could have done that for myself but nah. It all boils down to laziness at this point.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
My bike has maroon fenders and a black/silver tank. I was gonna paint the fenders when I got a round tuit. But riding always seems to be more fun at the time. Must not be too noticeable until I point it out. One of these days though ....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I got a call from the shop today. An extra 400 for the bike repairs.. those carbs were 100% screwed. The vacuum slide was pinched, accelerator pump diaphragms were ripped and one was bad. The idle set was missing half of the assembly. Not to mention dry rotted carb boots and destroyed O Rings. I can't believe I missed all of that when I went through them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts