Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that these model of bikes, besides being a pain to fix them (specially the carburator zone), are suppose to be one of the most reliable engines and bikes that Kawasaki has made... What do you know?

One Thing I can tell you, is that I use my Bike as a commuter and so far had NO problems with it..... 23,000 miles and strong..!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I think you answerd your own Question, I saw a 750 yesterday with over 75K and still running strong, Gypsy put over 100k on hers.
There is many stories like that.
Just check your splines and pt in a Maint free Batt.
Sea Foam in the tank to keep the fuel clean, and keep riding.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Other than the charging system, especially the stator, and maintenance on the drive shaft splines, they should run forever.

Very strong motor internals, large chains, all road worthy.

If you run Seafoam periodically, you should not have to remove the carbs for service.

Jon

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
splines

I finally got around to checking the splines on my brand-new 2006 VN 750 after riding 3,400 miles. This is what I found when I opened 'er up...

pre-lubed spline ~ http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=384&cat=528

pre-lubed drive shaft coupling ~ http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=391&cat=528

Needless to say, I lubed them well (with Bel-Ray paste, which is all I could find locally ~ not Moly 60, unfortunately ~ you can see the after-lubing photos in my gallery). I'm over 5,000 miles now and everything seems to be running smoothly. It may not be necessary, but I was thinking about doing the spline-lubing procedure again this summer, or having my mechanic do it while he performs the manual's suggested 6,000 mile maintenance.

Question: did my splines get damaged in any way by their almost-dry state for those first 3,400 miles? From the photographs, everything looks OK. Just wondering (and a little paranoid).

+ + + + +​

I have put in a maintenance-free battery, and regularly dose the gas tank with Sea Foam. I have NOT relocated the rectifier/regulator to a cooler spot or done anything with the stator (although my stator wires have been shrink-wrapped and tucked back away from the heat).

before ~ http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=424&cat=530

after ~ http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=493&cat=530

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Any damage to your splines would be minimal. There is no obvious wear and I believe you caught it in time. Look at Fergy's pics to see what the damaged splines look like. It looks like they put just enough grease in there to tide it over through the first year of use and no more.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just had my Kaw mechanic put a new rear tire on my 2005 VN750 at 13500 miles. I was there when he did the job and there was ample grease in the spline joints. He did clean it up and put new lube in it but it wouldn't have been necessary. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. By the way, the dealer's mechanic mounts the tire for free (if you buy it from him!) and always inspects the splines.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
By the way, the dealer's mechanic mounts the tire for free (if you buy it from him!)
and always inspects the splines.
That's a good mechanic to have !!
I think we should nominate him 'Mechanic of the Month' !! :smiley_th:motorcycl

·
Registered
198 Posts
>>>>I think we should nominate him 'Mechanic of the Month' !! <<<<

Ha-Ha----I will be sure to pass that on to him! But you are correct, and he is only 6 blocks from my house!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah:EasyRector I also have an 06 and when I opened up mine it looked a lot like yours.And I quickly rectified the situation.I just dont understand why the factory skimped on such a critical area.......................

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I just dont understand why the factory skimped on such a critical area.......................
Cause even the dealers hardley ever look at them.
Out of site, Out of mind ..... The Vulcan spline greasers motto !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts