Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new have 87 vn750 went to replace stator found someone already had done the tuxedo mod ..today I did an oil and filter change and I pulled the filter and spring out of oil drain hole put my finger in and found chewed out bits of metal was hoping maybe someone was lazy doing tuxedo mod and left bits and pieces behind but also found a bit of what looks like a broken circlip piece I will try upload a pic ..if anyone can enlighten me that would be great to what it might be from

Attachments

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Circlip looks like it's from the shifter shaft.

It's normal to find some clutch material, but silver bits is probably aluminum and not good. If it wasn't a large amount, it may be ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply spockster I think il just have to see how it goes seems to ride ok

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hoping just a bad backyard mechanic been at it handy to know where the circlip came from IL keep on eye on gears

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Hoping just a bad backyard mechanic been at it handy to know where the circlip came from IL keep on eye on gears
If the circlip is missing from the shifter, the shaft will slide in or out too far. Possible it was replaced when that happened.

If there's a piece of rubber hose between the shift lever and engine, that's a temporary fix for missing the inner circlip. Outer circlip missing let's it slide outward.

You can pull the round stator cover and see if the Tux mod was done, might need new orings though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tuxedo mods def been done I needed to replace stator and was relieved to find someone already done it ..hoping most of the little bits and pieces besides the circlip are from that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tested the gear selector seems to move in out about 2 to 3 CMS max gues all the way until gear peg hits frame and only goes out about 3cms

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Tested the gear selector seems to move in out about 2 to 3 CMS max gues all the way until gear peg hits frame and only goes out about 3cms
Hmm, might need the hose trick, don't think it should be able to touch the case.

Shavings could come from the shifter rubbing the crank or gears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi need a little more info I read a little about replacing the circlip on the gear selector shaft involving splitting the case but was wondering since mine has had the tuxedo mod done if it might be accessible by just removing tuxedo plate and stator

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Hi need a little more info I read a little about replacing the circlip on the gear selector shaft involving splitting the case but was wondering since mine has had the tuxedo mod done if it might be accessible by just removing tuxedo plate and stator
Sorry, no, the rotor and damper gears will be an obstacle. That's assuming the ring is still on the shaft.

Tell us more about the shifter, does it slide out too far or in too far?

If it's sliding in, a hose can be placed on the shifter shaft as a temp fix, until you can split the case during the winter.

Edit: I have a bad habit of taking the last post and not re-reading the thread. I see the previous posts now. Duh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I did reply I don't know what happened to the post few days ago.. Anyway it slides out a finger width from frame and in until touching the frame a finger width seem reasonable to me so I chucked a hose on it and a couple of cable ties cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts